Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 01:49 PM

174 posts, read 283,001 times

Advertisements

I have a round of interviews broken by 2 days. Went to the 1st part on Thursday, did not go that well. Now I am not sure if I should go to the 2nd part on Monday, as I need to take time off work for something that does not look promising (and I already took time off for 2 interviews during the last 2 weeks, plus would need to take time off for a doctor appointment in a week). I researched the interviewers on LinkedIn, it appears that I met the most senior people on Thursday. Should I go on Monday or cancel? Or should i try to call the most senior interviewer Monday morning to try and get feedback and take it from there (the interview is in the afternoon)? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 05:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Why do you think the interview didn't go well? Do you want the job?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:49 PM

Thank you so much, veuvegirl, you are the only one who replied so far!

Yes, I do want the job!

Here's why I think the interview did not go well.

1. I had 5 interviewers in total. One said that I had all the skills, but lacked one skill. He also focused a great deal on why I had the same job title for much longer that people normally have and whether I will be happy with having it again (I have a lot of experience, people normally have a higher job title/ responsibilities with that much experience).

2. All of the interviewers were very focused on the fact that all of my career I worked in a different team setting from that institution's, never had subordinates and did not have the decision-making power. This job does not really require managing people, but requires managing the process, which I have done, but in a different setting and on a smaller scale.

3. Also, I expressed an interest in covering a certain area, and the only interviewer that is in charge of that area did not come (she was on the schedule, but did not show up) and none of the interviewers scheduled for Monday cover that area.

4. Finally, the last interviewer (who was the 2nd-most senior) wished me good luck with an expression that looked like "we are not interested". He also said that I am only the 2nd person they are seeing, so it will take a few weeks to get back to me, and that's never a good sign, especially since he said that they have 3 positions to fill.

I thought maybe I'd give him a call Monday morning for a feedback, to gauge whether it's worth coming in. What do you think?

Last edited by JoblessinNYC; 11-14-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 09:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
You are overthinking it. Go to the interview. Have an answer for everything you felt was a negative I'm case they bring it up again. Make it positive.

Example: talk about your management skills and how they will benefit the position.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:36 AM

But I've already met the most senior people, would it make sense to meet with less senior people if I am sensing that their superiors were not that impressed with me?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessinNYC View Post
But I've already met the most senior people, would it make sense to meet with less senior people if I am sensing that their superiors were not that impressed with me?
It's hard to know. The only reason I wouldn't do a second interview is obviously if one wasn't offered, I couldn't get off or got sick.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's hard to know. The only reason I wouldn't do a second interview is obviously if one wasn't offered, I couldn't get off or got sick.
To be precise, the 2nd interview was not offered as a result of the 1st interview, the whole interview was broken in 2 stages at the outset at my request (otherwise I would have needed to take 1 day off).

Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessinNYC View Post
To be precise, the 2nd interview was not offered as a result of the 1st interview, the whole interview was broken in 2 stages at the outset at my request (otherwise I would have needed to take 1 day off).
I was speaking in generalities. But based on that information, do it. What do you have to lose, maybe time but you'd have that issue with a typical interview anyway.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I was speaking in generalities. But based on that information, do it. What do you have to lose, maybe time but you'd have that issue with a typical interview anyway.
Thanks, I'll do my best to get off tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Thought I'll post an update here. Went to the interview on Monday, as scheduled, and was turned away. Apparently, the HR person did not alert me that the interview was rescheduled for Tuesday for the same time. The scheduler met me and said that the HR person was supposed to call me and assured me that I will meet with all the scheduled interviewers on Tuesday. I debated whether to return on Tuesday thinking that maybe they just decided not to proceed with me after the first day of the interviews. But, since they did not say so, I went on Tuesday. Learnt more about the position, which does not sound as attractive as I initially thought. Don't think the interview went that well either. So seems that I wasted some of my time plus had to work late for a few days at my current job to make up for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search