U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 AM

531 posts, read 779,915 times

Advertisements

hi,

i'm planning on moving out of state next Summer. I've been applying online to different insurance companies starting now. I'm not sure if i'm too early.

Last week a recruiter from Zurich contacted me per my resume and online application and wants a phone interview/intro? not sure..she wants to talk for about 30 minutes. She's on the East coast, but the jobs i've applied are for the West coast. I'm not sure if i'm overthinking, but i DID list on my resume i'll be relocating soon and on the application, i indicated this Summer.

My question is, if i am offered a job, i hope they understand that this will work for me in about 6 months, but then i don't want to be offered the job and then be told it's for now or sooner. We're going to speak soon, but what do i tell her? i realize it's just a phone intro. I don't want to miss my chance.

I'm not sure if employers line up jobs for months later? or if they need an employee now? This position is always being advertised, in addition, there are a lot of openings that fit my skills and experience all the time. I want them to be able "hold" this position?

Do i reiterate that i won't be in the new city until this summer and forfeit any offer IF an offer will be made? I really don't want to do that . idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,384,008 times
You are starting way too early. Don't start looking in your new location until you are actually ready to move. No one in their right mind will hire someone today with a start date of next summer. You are wasting your time and theirs.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You are starting way too early. Don't start looking in your new location until you are actually ready to move. No one in their right mind will hire someone today with a start date of next summer. You are wasting your time and theirs.
I'm starting the job search now because i'm paranoid i won't find anything before i actually miove . Yea, i guess i am a little bit early. Plus I've contacted apartment rentals and they need a letter of employment so... i'll see what this recruiter says when we speak.

thanks

Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 AM

12,190 posts, read 10,384,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
I'm starting the job search now because i'm paranoid i won't find anything before i actually miove . Yea, i guess i am a little bit early. Plus I've contacted apartment rentals and they need a letter of employment so... i'll see what this recruiter says when we speak.

thanks
Since the recruiter is on the East Coast I'm guessing they didn't even see your part about relocating and think you are looking for a position on the East Coast. I doubt an an East Coast rep would contact you about West Coast jobs.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Since the recruiter is on the East Coast I'm guessing they didn't even see your part about relocating and think you are looking for a position on the East Coast. I doubt an an East Coast rep would contact you about West Coast jobs.
oh no.. even if i applied for all west coast positions? my cover letter even states "relocating to.. as a header.

i'll see what she says this week i guess.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:49 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,683,345 times
What position are you applying for? Admin? Management? Sales? If it's sales. There will ALWAYS be opportunities since financial/insurance industry have an average of 95% FAILURE RATE. They always need someone to fill in for all those who came before. Those that came before, their corpse haven't even cold yet, they already lined up 10 to take it's place to see if anyone sticks.

If you are going in sales....Read as many books as you can about Marketing, marketing, marketing...and some sales. Oh yeah, read up on your product too. Why marketing? Because those 5% that survive, they survive not because they know how to sell, they survive because they know how to market.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
What position are you applying for? Admin? Management? Sales? If it's sales. There will ALWAYS be opportunities since financial/insurance industry have an average of 95% FAILURE RATE. They always need someone to fill in for all those who came before. Those that came before, their corpse haven't even cold yet, they already lined up 10 to take it's place to see if anyone sticks.

If you are going in sales....Read as many books as you can about Marketing, marketing, marketing...and some sales. Oh yeah, read up on your product too. Why marketing? Because those 5% that survive, they survive not because they know how to sell, they survive because they know how to market.
no, not sales. it's an admin position-clerical-Claims-support. This position is always open in this city idk why, but i've applied to a few w/ this company since October and all are still under consideration. It's a phone screen that the recruiter wants.

I DID cross check the available positions for the East coast , and the position i applied for is Not listed on the East, so she DOES know i'm assuming it's for the West. I'm not sure how their recruitment works. This is a massive company. I'll go w/ the flow. I don't think the interview process is quick anyway. I don't want to get too ahead of myself. It's a phone screen at this point.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:11 PM

15,033 posts, read 21,763,471 times
I understand you are paranoid, however you are starting way too early. You are wasting your time and the potential employers time. Talk to the recruiter and see what she says. I have had many that didn't read I was relocating and call. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 PM

108 posts, read 103,954 times
Don't overthink it so much.

It's Farmer's Insurance. They're based in Woodland Hills and have a huge center there, and a couple other spots in SoCal. They're also heavily pushing Eastward, which is why all their recruiters are out on the east coast.

Six months actually isn't that far out of line for their process. Be prepared for an extremely slow crawl with 4-5 levels. Even for admin support.

Whatever you do, do NOT misrepresent your background. Everything will be verified.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCO94 View Post
Don't overthink it so much.

It's Farmer's Insurance. They're based in Woodland Hills and have a huge center there, and a couple other spots in SoCal. They're also heavily pushing Eastward, which is why all their recruiters are out on the east coast.

Six months actually isn't that far out of line for their process. Be prepared for an extremely slow crawl with 4-5 levels. Even for admin support.

Whatever you do, do NOT misrepresent your background. Everything will be verified.
Hi, This is for Zurich, not Farmer's Ins. Do you know the hiring process for Zurich? I DO want a slow crawl.. not in a rush to move now since i want my daughter to finish out the school year here rather than transfer her mid year. I did state my availability for 6 months on the application. I double checked again , because i'm super paranoid lol and yes, all the positions i applied for are over on the West(NoCal). I think i'm kinda glad i started early.

If you know anything about Zurich, employees, insider tips. please share!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or