U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 11:35 AM

287 posts, read 330,058 times

Advertisements

I retired from a law enforcement agency in April. Several months earlier, I began putting out resumes. In all, I put approximately 40 resumes out. I was invited to interview by five of the company/agencies. After 11 months of putting our resumes, last week I was given three job offers in two days. Very bizarre. The one I accepted would be in the top three of all the positions to which I applied.

In the end, I had an application to interview ratio of 1 for 8. And of the positions for which I interviewed, I was given an offer 60% of the time. Although it was a small sampling, I am happy with those numbers.

I would like offer my sincerest thanks to most on here. (There are trolls and pot stirers here as with every online forum) My thanks are for answering my questions, offering suggestions, sharing stories, or just keeping everyone motivated.

My advice...

1. Read this and similar forums every day. Keep your head in the game and see what others are going through.

2. I read probably hundreds of articles on resume preparation. I also read tons of resumes (Indeed, LinkedIn, etc.) of those I would be competing against for ideas. In the end, your resume must be a masterpiece.

3. If you wait until you have an interview to begin preparing, the battle is already lost. Prepping for interviews should be a daily part of your job search routine. You should be able to answer every one of the 100 Monster.com interview questions flawlessly or at least that should be your goal. And don't tell me you're just not good at interviewing. I was very choppy when I began. Interviewing is a learned skill, period. Again, probably read hundreds of articles on interviewing and spend hundreds of hours more practicing.

4. Keeping building your resume through education, certifications, new responsibilities at your job, volunteering, etc.

5. If an employer asks for a writing sample, a project, or whatever, don't complain. Instead, crush it. Give them a masterpiece.

6. Most importantly, be great at your job. Be the first one to respond to emails, complete assignments, etc. Take pride in every project, presentation and memo. On my cover letter I used the following line:My references are every person I ever worked for.

It is true too. In my new job, I intend on crushing it as well. I will immerse myself in every piece of training material until I know more than anyone else and I become an expert. In two years or so, I will advance even higher (already starting out at a very high position).

That's it. I will still be here to help others and keep my job searching skills sharp. Thank you again everyone!

-Buz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 PM

13 posts, read 8,871 times
Congratulations on the new job. Just curious, but how helpful were your professional or personal networks in your job search?

Old 11-16-2015, 03:29 PM

287 posts, read 330,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt65 View Post
Congratulations on the new job. Just curious, but how helpful were your professional or personal networks in your job search?
In my case, with the job I accepted, I knew no one. However, my references were part of my network and I'm sure helped. My previous bosses gave a great recommendation, and I consider them part of my network too. So, a better answer to your questions would be they someone helped but not directly.

In retrospect, I would add building a strong foundation of references to my list in the original post.

-Buz

Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 PM

169 posts, read 119,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
I retired from a law enforcement agency in April. Several months earlier, I began putting out resumes. In all, I put approximately 40 resumes out. I was invited to interview by five of the company/agencies. After 11 months of putting our resumes, last week I was given three job offers in two days. Very bizarre. The one I accepted would be in the top three of all the positions to which I applied.

In the end, I had an application to interview ratio of 1 for 8. And of the positions for which I interviewed, I was given an offer 60% of the time. Although it was a small sampling, I am happy with those numbers.

I would like offer my sincerest thanks to most on here. (There are trolls and pot stirers here as with every online forum) My thanks are for answering my questions, offering suggestions, sharing stories, or just keeping everyone motivated.

My advice...

1. Read this and similar forums every day. Keep your head in the game and see what others are going through.

2. I read probably hundreds of articles on resume preparation. I also read tons of resumes (Indeed, LinkedIn, etc.) of those I would be competing against for ideas. In the end, your resume must be a masterpiece.

3. If you wait until you have an interview to begin preparing, the battle is already lost. Prepping for interviews should be a daily part of your job search routine. You should be able to answer every one of the 100 Monster.com interview questions flawlessly or at least that should be your goal. And don't tell me you're just not good at interviewing. I was very choppy when I began. Interviewing is a learned skill, period. Again, probably read hundreds of articles on interviewing and spend hundreds of hours more practicing.

4. Keeping building your resume through education, certifications, new responsibilities at your job, volunteering, etc.

5. If an employer asks for a writing sample, a project, or whatever, don't complain. Instead, crush it. Give them a masterpiece.

6. Most importantly, be great at your job. Be the first one to respond to emails, complete assignments, etc. Take pride in every project, presentation and memo. On my cover letter I used the following line:My references are every person I ever worked for.

It is true too. In my new job, I intend on crushing it as well. I will immerse myself in every piece of training material until I know more than anyone else and I become an expert. In two years or so, I will advance even higher (already starting out at a very high position).

That's it. I will still be here to help others and keep my job searching skills sharp. Thank you again everyone!

-Buz
Congratulations are your new job! Also, thank you for those awesome tidbits as I start to prepare myself to search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or