U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 13,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
I was wondering if you tell the truth why you lost your job...that you were caught looking at your company's private stuff, got fired, and tell the interviewer you learned from your mistake and promised you will never do it again?
I think that is a red flag. No way to tell how hiring managers would react to that. I talked to my buddy that is a hiring manager and he said, no way would he hire someone if they did something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:44 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,505,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
So I got fired for doing something I shouldn't have done. It pertains to my job function and was basically snooping.
My question is that no one will ever hire me in the same line of work i had a long career in if I disclose any of this information.
You didn't get fired, you got laid off.

Quote:
Telling potential interviewers that I was "laid off" is a lie but I don't think my prior employer, HR, will state anything other than "yes he worked here".
You're correct--it's so highly unlikely that lying about it is almost guaranteed never to be found out.

Quote:
Do I state on interviews that "made a mistake and was let go, learned from it..." or do I just lie and say I was "laid off".
"Laid off". Loved the company and all of that. Too bad.

Quote:
I understand if they find out I can be terminated again for not being honest on the job app.
Yes, in theory you could be terminated again for not being honest, but the chance of that happening is almost zero. You have to look at the big picture. In order for that to happen your future employer would have to have proof that you lied about getting fired. Hearsay is not proof, so if a previous co-worker comes to your new company and tells someone they heard you got fired, that's not proof. The worst-case scenario is that you could be terminated for some other BS reason (or no reason at all) even if the real reason was never told to you. For a future employer to build a for-cause termination based on a different previous employer exposes them to many pitfalls. Plus the previous employer is not likely to "help out" with another company's termination as it achieves nothing but exposing them to additional risk.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 AM

5,034 posts, read 3,218,948 times
Quote:
So I got fired for doing something I shouldn't have done. It pertains to my job function and was basically snooping.
My question is that no one will ever hire me in the same line of work i had a long career in if I disclose any of this information.
Telling potential interviewers that I was "laid off" is a lie but I don't think my prior employer, HR, will state anything other than "yes he worked here".

Do I state on interviews that "made a mistake and was let go, learned from it..." or do I just lie and say I was "laid off". I understand if they find out I can be terminated again for not being honest on the job app.
Most of the time, the employer will say "Yes they worked here, no we can't rehire" Now with my knowing companies, some will and some won't rehire.

I'd just go with "Laid off" and let them ask and slide past the questions.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,114,293 times
Personally, I'd be upfront about being fired. But, you don't necessarily have to tell the exact reason. Fired is fired no matter the reason. And you'd earn integrity points with potential employers by being "honest". Don't lie. Then you have to tell another lie to cover up that lie..Rinse. Repeat.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:05 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,244,017 times
Quote:
Does anyone know if companies normally try and dig for information? will they look at my prior employers website to see if my job was posted? My job along with a few others are posted and it has me worried. If I state I was "laid off due to a re-org and other sr. members were let go as well" they may buy that. I don't know.

I'm just so worried about what to do. I don't even think I can spin being let go in a positive way as it would be a lie as well. saying something like "the corporation made some decisions that I didn't agree with and we decided to part ways" is a lie as well.

I hope you've learned something from this -- the snooping part is disturbing to me.

To help you some:

Keep it simple. I was laid off, my position eliminated, there will be no call back from that company. I am moving on with my career.

Most companies check your credentials (degree, certification, etc.) and verify employment and employment dates. The trick question potential employers sometimes ask is, "would you rehire this person?"

You can also provide personal references -- names and numbers of people who will only say good things about you. Once in a while employers check personal references.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,330,903 times
I'd like to verify Mr Jones' employment with you. What was his position/job duties? Is Mr Jones eligible for re-hire?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:14 AM

8,808 posts, read 13,297,378 times
If you admit to being fired you are a leper. You can spin, explain, say you learned your lesson all you want but 99.9% of the time you are dead in the water. Therefore if at all possible claim you were laid off instead.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:16 AM

6,454 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Tough call. It's a risk reward thing.

It's like a small business not buying insurance because it's too expensive, yet the repercussions if something happens without insurance could be quite costly. Some skip through life without incident and save thousands, yet other s something happens and it costs them dearly.

From strictly an observation without though of other issues stemming from the choice you make, which path do you want to walk? You have admitted guilt and doing something you were not supposed to. So now, if you are asked about something and you outright lie, I think that could feed on itself which could make you a deeply dishonest person. You could take a middle road and somehow skirt the question with hope if they do dig and find something out, at least you couldn't come across as entirely dishonest. Or you just point blank tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

At the end of the day, it's about how you can live with yourself and your choices.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:39 AM

5,156 posts, read 2,607,443 times
What is snooping?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 PM

7,982 posts, read 3,468,264 times
You can also say at the interview that you and your boss had a difference of opinion and leave it there. Don't elaborate if they ask you more, tell them you would rather not go into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or