U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM

9,991 posts, read 16,658,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
You can also say at the interview that you and your boss had a difference of opinion and leave it there. Don't elaborate if they ask you more, tell them you would rather not go into it.
Best suggestion yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,855,579 times
Why in the world would you do something this stupid? There's people out there who want jobs and you go and lose YOUR job?

Old 11-16-2015, 02:48 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
work in the IT industry but my skills are limited to a few systems. I don't live in a big metro area either so jobs are slim.
Get a contract job that is somewhere else. Do a tempy move to that location and visit back home once in awhile. Many folks take travel jobs and come home every weekend with all travel paid by their firm. Others just come home once a month or once every couple months.

You could take a 3 or 6 month gig or even 12 month gig. You might need to do this if you want to stay in your current field.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:57 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
Maybe you can sugar coat 'snooping' by making it sound more generic, but still be truthful. Such as you breached security protocol when accessing data or when logging onto a app where you weren't authorized.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM

1,024 posts, read 792,871 times
I think moving (at least temporarily) sounds like your best bet. You may not like that option, but you also don't like the thought of working in warehouses. Take your pick; which is worse?

It sounds like you're in a smaller area where it's more likely that someone who knows you will possibly spill the beans on you. In a larger city, a distance away, that risk is far less. Build up an employment history somewhere else, start with a clean slate. When you are asked why you left your last job, you can (sort of say) with some honesty that it was because you decided to move. Of course, if your former employer admits that they wouldn't re-hire you, then that wouldn't sound good. So I guess you should still address the reasons why you left that job.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:11 PM

168 posts, read 106,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
So I got fired for doing something I shouldn't have done. It pertains to my job function and was basically snooping.
My question is that no one will ever hire me in the same line of work i had a long career in if I disclose any of this information.
Telling potential interviewers that I was "laid off" is a lie but I don't think my prior employer, HR, will state anything other than "yes he worked here".

Do I state on interviews that "made a mistake and was let go, learned from it..." or do I just lie and say I was "laid off". I understand if they find out I can be terminated again for not being honest on the job app.

"So" I stopped reading at "so".

Old 11-16-2015, 05:55 PM

18,347 posts, read 23,515,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you snooped and got fired, now you want to lie to get hired?
sounds like an unemployment rap song

Old 11-16-2015, 06:19 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,520,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Call them up pretending to be a company wanting to hire you and see what they say about you.
Aside from the obvious which is you F'd up and may suffer over it, do you have an Android phone? If so root it and install a call recording app. Do as this answer says and call as a prospective employer. If they slam you or say stuff that ends your chances their opening themselves up to get sued by you. Basically all and employer can do to avoid that is acknowledge you worked there but refuse a reference. If they do it you have leverage, but of course your in the wrong but this is basically your only play if their gonna hang you out to dry anyways.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM

8,940 posts, read 5,081,575 times
tell the truth, I found some illegal activity on the computer and they fired me over it

Old 11-16-2015, 07:38 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,060,208 times
The chips falling where they may could mean not surviving so that's kind of an issue. Its not really a trivial issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Tough call. It's a risk reward thing.

It's like a small business not buying insurance because it's too expensive, yet the repercussions if something happens without insurance could be quite costly. Some skip through life without incident and save thousands, yet other s something happens and it costs them dearly.

From strictly an observation without though of other issues stemming from the choice you make, which path do you want to walk? You have admitted guilt and doing something you were not supposed to. So now, if you are asked about something and you outright lie, I think that could feed on itself which could make you a deeply dishonest person. You could take a middle road and somehow skirt the question with hope if they do dig and find something out, at least you couldn't come across as entirely dishonest. Or you just point blank tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may.

At the end of the day, it's about how you can live with yourself and your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or