U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 PM

147 posts, read 432,985 times

Advertisements

I would say, "After 10 years, the company and I came to a parting of the ways and that is all I will say about that."

This is true, and indicates some type of disagreement between you and the previous company, but doesn't suggest what that was or suggest which side may have been "at fault" if in fact there was a problem. Companies interviewing to hire you don't need to hear all the "gory details", and of course it would be unprofessional of you to complain about your previous company. My suggestion above is a professional way to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 04:32 PM

580 posts, read 437,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
can't start in a new field. i'm at that age were i can't start over. no income to start over. i don't want to work at a food store or warehouse either. if my career is over i don't know what I'm going to do. I have only had this one job in the career i'm in now. the job prior to this was over 20 years ago part time in a warehouse.

I'm in a bad spot and I was hoping to have someone help. Has anyone ever gotten a job by telling them they were laid off when they were actually fired?

I was fired at a library job a few years ago in another town, and that's exactly what I put on my application (laid off or resigned, depending on my mood that day). The most that has happened was the people who interviewed me called to verify that I worked there and that's it. In some states, it is illegal for them to state whether or not you have been fired or whatnot. They can only verify that you have worked there and that's it. Here I am 4 years and a few jobs (including another library job that was also lousy that I just plain resigned from) later, I am now at a library job that I very much enjoy. So those people didn't stop me. I am in a much better position than I was before. That's for sure. More pay, more respect, and a better environment. I suggest you don't let the folks who fire you stop you either. Like the author Ayn Rand said "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." I strongly suggest you abide by this quote. That is what got me through the darkness. I seriously thought my library career was over, but boy was I wrong. It is far from wrong. For me, it's just getting started. Anyways, enough of my rambling. I wish you luck in job hunt, and I hope my advice was helpful.

Last edited by CinnaBunney; 11-17-2015 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 06:46 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I was fired at a library job a few years ago in another town, and that's exactly what I put on my application (laid off or resigned, depending on my mood that day). The most that has happened was the people who interviewed me called to verify that I worked there and that's it. In some states, it is illegal for them to state whether or not you have been fired or whatnot. They can only verify that you have worked there and that's it. Here I am 4 years and a few jobs (including another library job that was also lousy that I just plain resigned from) later, I am now at a library job that I very much enjoy. So those people didn't stop me. I am in a much better position than I was before. That's for sure. More pay, more respect, and a better environment. I suggest you don't let the folks who fire you stop you either. Like the author Ayn Rand said "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." I strongly suggest you abide by this quote. That is what got me through the darkness. I seriously thought my library career was over, but boy was I wrong. It is far from wrong. For me, it's just getting started. Anyways, enough of my rambling. I wish you luck in job hunt, and I hope my advice was helpful.
Really, this is the best advice. Get real, in this economy, being laid off is common. No need for a big, long explanation. You aren't going to confession, you are applying for a job!

Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,350,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

What prospective employers will ask prior employers is "Would you hire him again?"

Sane employers ask that very informative question.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:18 PM

147 posts, read 237,132 times
Catch 22 Here-damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Whatever you decide to do, you cannot admit to being fired for cause. No one in your industry will hire you. You can always say that you and the company decided to part ways (which you did leave-they just had 100% of the decision power).

Your ex-employer may or may not offer any information beyond your job title and dates of employment. Legally, an employer may provide any information they wish as long as it is factual. However, many choose not to due to the threat of lawsuits as it can cost anywhere from $10k-$100k plus to defend against a lawsuit, even if the lawsuit lacks merit.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:15 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,201,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Really, this is the best advice. Get real, in this economy, being laid off is common. No need for a big, long explanation. You aren't going to confession, you are applying for a job!
Yes, and the more you try to explain about the situation the bigger the deal someone will make out of it.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:01 AM

580 posts, read 437,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Yes, and the more you try to explain about the situation the bigger the deal someone will make out of it.
Pretty much.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:20 PM

14 posts, read 13,912 times
Now I come to the dilemma of filling out employment forms and what to put for "reason for leaving" and "may we contact this former employer"? I've been telling everyone that I was laid off and they leave it at that. my prior HR dept can't say if I was fired or laid off.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:29 PM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
Now I come to the dilemma of filling out employment forms and what to put for "reason for leaving" and "may we contact this former employer"? I've been telling everyone that I was laid off and they leave it at that. my prior HR dept can't say if I was fired or laid off.
I'm pretty sure you just answered your own question.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:30 PM

14 posts, read 13,912 times
If I put check the box for DO NOT Contact, won't that look suspicious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or