U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:03 PM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
If I put check the box for DO NOT Contact, won't that look suspicious?
Why wouldn't you want them to be contacted if you just said they won't tell if you were fired vs. laid off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 13,912 times
I guess I have to risk it by putting a reason of being "laid off" and put "yes" to contact and see what happens. If they did I will be fired again if I get the job. I also have other interviews and I've been saying "laid off". I'm just so conflicted about this.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,842,943 times
See what happens when you lie! Had you been honest from the start your chances were as good at remaining on that job as it was lying; just now you have opened a can of worms you are not able to close. I'll tell you this, as an employer we may or may not hire a person who was fired based on the circumstances of that firing, but if we ever find out a person is LYING or has LIED to us, you are finished. Once we can no longer trust your word, you are worthless to us.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 PM

14 posts, read 13,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
See what happens when you lie! Had you been honest from the start your chances were as good at remaining on that job as it was lying; just now you have opened a can of worms you are not able to close. I'll tell you this, as an employer we may or may not hire a person who was fired based on the circumstances of that firing, but if we ever find out a person is LYING or has LIED to us, you are finished. Once we can no longer trust your word, you are worthless to us.
I didn't lie when i had the job, i was caught doing something that I shouldn't have done. Do you think if I had a job as a bank teller and that is all I ever did my entire life and got caught stealing money and wanted to get another job as a bank teller, telling the truth on a job app for another bank teller job makes sense?
I am finished no matter what if I tell the truth, plain and simple. Would it make you feel better about yourself If I told you I was thinking about taking myself out of the equation because this has me stressed out to the point I can't go on? I ruined my life for a dumb mistake and that is what it was, a mistake.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:20 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,842,943 times
Quote:
I ruined my life for a dumb mistake and that is what it was, a mistake.
And it was YOU who did the deed so act like an adult and own up to your mistake! You did something that was wrong and you got fired. Mistake or not, you were canned for doing something wrong. Now you are trying to LIE to get another job. What if an employer catches you in that LIE, are you going to start crying and call it just another "MISTAKE"?

You are compounding dishonestly upon dishonesty and that makes you an undesirable employee in many employer's book. You will find that your "mistake" may be overlooked once you accept the personal responsibility for doing a bone head thing and not add another undesirable trait of lying by trying to conceal your actions.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:57 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,201,316 times
Quote:
I didn't lie when i had the job, i was caught doing something that I shouldn't have done. Do you think if I had a job as a bank teller and that is all I ever did my entire life and got caught stealing money and wanted to get another job as a bank teller, telling the truth on a job app for another bank teller job makes sense?
I am finished no matter what if I tell the truth, plain and simple. Would it make you feel better about yourself If I told you I was thinking about taking myself out of the equation because this has me stressed out to the point I can't go on? I ruined my life for a dumb mistake and that is what it was, a mistake.
I see no point in advising the OP what should have been done. You should have checked the tire before we left on the trip. You should have checked to make sure we had enough gas. You should, should, should...well, what are you going to do about it now is the real question? Unless someone has a working time machine, let's take the should stuff out of this. It isn't helpful. The OP already admitted and regrets whatever the details of their action were.

It's just a job. It isn't you. You didn't ruin your life here. That's just the panic of the situation talking. It also isn't your job to confess and make yourself look as weak as possible to another hiring manager. Let them do their job to evaluate you and answer questions if needed about your skills and training. A friend of mine told me about a friend of his who was a medical doctor who lost his license, his job, and his wife and children within a couple of weeks. But you know what, he found another job in a related industry even with all that and got back on track. There are people who go to jail for a crime, come out and work again, so there is nothing ruined here.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:36 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Two pages and we still don't know the actual crime? What kind of snooping? Were you reading people's emails?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or