Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 16,514 times

Advertisements

So I got fired for doing something I shouldn't have done. It pertains to my job function and was basically snooping.
My question is that no one will ever hire me in the same line of work i had a long career in if I disclose any of this information.
Telling potential interviewers that I was "laid off" is a lie but I don't think my prior employer, HR, will state anything other than "yes he worked here".

Do I state on interviews that "made a mistake and was let go, learned from it..." or do I just lie and say I was "laid off". I understand if they find out I can be terminated again for not being honest on the job app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Call them up pretending to be a company wanting to hire you and see what they say about you.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:45 AM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
You're hit and miss on who's going to call your previous job to see if you were fired or laid off. No matter what lie you tell a potential employer you're not going to jail. Unless you worked at a church you had some coworkers who lied right through their fake teeth.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Call them up pretending to be a company wanting to hire you and see what they say about you.
Not a bad idea. I can tell you that for me as a hiring manager, you would have to be a lot better qualified than the other candidates to be selected if I knew you were fired for cause. One sure way out is to move, then say you left due to moving, not really a lie. Short of that, I would omit the reason for leaving unless they ask, and hope they don't.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 AM

I was there for over 10 years and my only real career. Nothing prior to that in the field.
All these website state "tell the truth" but I might as well just end the interview there.
From prior people that I know that did something that caused them to get fired, they stated the same thing by asking HR. HR will not tell them even employment dates or salary. I think they only say 'yes they worked here'. If I do get a job by telling them i was laid off, i don't know what the chances are of them finding out what really happened and getting fired again.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
If I do get a job by telling them i was laid off, i don't know what the chances are of them finding out what really happened and getting fired again.
Odds are if you get hired, they won't keep digging trying to find dirt on you. Either way, it's better to be employed and worry they may find out than not be employed.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:05 AM

Does anyone know if companies normally try and dig for information? will they look at my prior employers website to see if my job was posted? My job along with a few others are posted and it has me worried. If I state I was "laid off due to a re-org and other sr. members were let go as well" they may buy that. I don't know.

I'm just so worried about what to do. I don't even think I can spin being let go in a positive way as it would be a lie as well. saying something like "the corporation made some decisions that I didn't agree with and we decided to part ways" is a lie as well.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
So you snooped and got fired, now you want to lie to get hired?

Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you snooped and got fired, now you want to lie to get hired?
If I'm applying to jobs that are the same exact thing I was doing, no one is going to hire me. How the hell do people get jobs in the same field if they were fired for doing something they shouldn't have???

Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob01 View Post
If I'm applying to jobs that are the same exact thing I was doing, no one is going to hire me. How the hell do people get jobs in the same field if they were fired for doing something they shouldn't have???
Your action of snooping, which caused the firing, has consequences. One of which is probably not being able to easily get back into the field you were in. You may need to find a new field and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search