Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 05:47 AM

1,485 posts, read 953,788 times

Advertisements

I applied to a company not far away online a week ago. The manager emails me that they want to set up a video interview via Skype or facetime. How would you go about that? I always have the dogs barking at my place and no privacy.

Also I've always done job interviews in person and doing it on video just reeks of creepiness to me.

Anyone done this before? How have you done it? What's it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Lots of companies do this now and I don't see how it's creepy? It's a good way to meet candidates somewhat face to face without having them drive/fly in. You can tell a lot from a candidate just by watching them speak as opposed to hearing them speak (phone interview).

Go to a friends / family members house or rent a hotel with good WiFi. You do not want dogs barking in the background or anything really being heard in the background.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:52 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Phone and/or Skype interview screens are common; there is nothing odd about it at all.

Does anyone you know have a quiet place or room you can borrow for an hour?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:56 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
This is becoming the norm. I've done several Skype interviews. You need a Skype account (free), a computer with a built in camera and a solid wifi connection. There's not anything creepy about it IMO. You're basically just showing up on a screen vs. in person. You definitely need a private location and should treat this interview as you would any other.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:13 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Lots of companies do this now and I don't see how it's creepy? It's a good way to meet candidates somewhat face to face without having them drive/fly in. You can tell a lot from a candidate just by watching them speak as opposed to hearing them speak (phone interview).

Go to a friends / family members house or rent a hotel with good WiFi. You do not want dogs barking in the background or anything really being heard in the background.
That's an excellent suggestion, rent a hotel room to do this and put up the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.

You might also contact the local public libraries and ask if you can borrow a conference room to do your Skype video interview. They should have WiFi or better an ethernet port in the conference room and you could plug in your laptop into it. They might even have equipment for you to use there. I would of course, go there ahead of time and test it all out. Same for the hotel, check out their connections and such.

But you are right to be aware of dogs barking and other noise distractions in the background, because you want it to come across as professional.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times
I have one today, im just going to sit in my office with the doors shut. I told the interviewer that I could get interrupted by my kids. He laughed.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:45 PM

464 posts, read 803,843 times
I participated in a Skype interview back in 2013 as we looked for a candidate to fill the vacant role of developer in our department.

We made the connection and instantly saw the candidate had made no effort to dress to impress. Big x-mark there. Then the candidate made the mistake of interviewing from what appeared to be his bedroom adorned by what appeared to be a centerfold from an adult magazine on the far back wall. Another x on this guy's checklist.

What almost made myself, the HR generalist and hiring manager almost fall over laughing was when someone, his girlfriend, we don't know who exactly, walked into the room in the background wearing only a towel and went "oh, s**t!"

The look on the candidate's face was priceless. Needless to say, we went with someone else.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I completely agree with checking out the local library. Many libraries have small study rooms you can reserve (it may be difficult to get one at the last moment, though). Otherwise, hotel, friend's house, anywhere you can expect quiet is a good bet.

I've interviewed people on skype before. I agree with being careful who is around, dressing to impress, and thinking about what is behind you in view of the camera. I have seen all sorts of strange (and sometimes completely inappropriate) wall "art" pop up in Skype interviews, random people popping in and out of he picture (one woman's husband thought it would be funny to pop in to tell a joke or something- weird!) and people wearing what looked like PJs.

Ha- I just noticed hillcountrywinefan's had similar experiences

Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 PM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
Don't overlook brushing your teeth though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search