Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 AM

71 posts, read 58,485 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 years old. I will (hopefully) be graduating college with a useless degree (history). I will be skipping graduation. I'm broke and jobless there is nothing to celebrate about. I been on a couple of interviews, but still nothing. One job, I almost had. I was interviewed 2x for position, but they later offered me another position because they believed I had the ability to grow. The position would prepare me for the one I interviewed for. I was also asked to come in and job shadow for a couple, in which I did. I didn't do any work just merely shadowed two employees. Well a couple of days after job shadowing, I shot her email about when will I officially start. Email is how we have been corresponding. She then proceeds to tell me how they are not hiring for the position now. What in the hell? I skip an interview for another job just for this position because it was the position I really wanted. I also had another interview at a hotel. It went well and the interviewer said someone would be calling me "soon" for a second interview", and that was the Thursday before last. I called this Monday and left a voicemail around 1:50 something, no reply yet. Also I send a cover letter and resume to the Trade Center for an unpaid internship. The bastards rejected me- they were suppose to send an acceptance or rejection email. I guess they were to lazy to do it. I wrote a kickass cover letter explaining how my education could be of used to the company, showed that I have knowledge of both their history and endeavors, related my work experience to the work that was suppose to done in the internship,etc. Ugh! I also did an application for an internship at the Hyatt, the later took down the job listing and put up a new one about how they want a 2nd or 3rd year student. My luck sucks. I have been unemployed for 4 going on 5 months. I have two months of my phone bill due. No money in the bank. I lived in a cramp apartment with literally no privacy!! No space, no bed alone. My mom is broke. And my dad put his wife over me. I tried to call him on Aug 17 through my aunt, but he never returned my call. It's funny because he told my brother he was saddened by the situation and didn't like me mad at him, but when I tried to contact him, he doesn't get back to me. My dad's been in and out my life since I was like 4 or 5. There have been a time when I didnt see him for five years. Safe to say, he wasn't a great dad, but he was for the first couple of years of my life. I'm disappointed in him because I always thought I was more like him than my mom. But anyways, I'm trying to make it out. I don't want to spend my days constantly searching for jobs, but end up with nothing. I tailor both my resumes and cover letter to relate my experience to the position as well as include keywords. I'm very serious about my future. I want a good career and I'm willinging to work for it. It's a shame you can't even show employers what you are capable of. They just reject you without getting to know you. I'm tired of living like this. I just seen my cousin put in a couple of applications and got hired for two jobs. And she was out of work for like 2 or 3 weeks. Why couldn't my luck be like hers? She is another city-Jacksonville. I don't know. I'm just tired. Feels like my life is coming to an end. How do I remain positive when I have literally no money and I'm at my wits end!! I'm even more disappointed at that job loss that I was close too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,531 times
I'm going to say it outright, your wall of text is a tough read especially on the eyes

Quote:
I'm 23 years old. I will (hopefully) be graduating college with a useless degree (history). I will be skipping graduation. I'm broke and jobless there is nothing to celebrate about. I been on a couple of interviews, but still nothing.
What were you planning to do with the History Degree? What were your initial post graduation plans?

Quote:
But anyways, I'm trying to make it out. I don't want to spend my days constantly searching for jobs, but end up with nothing. I tailor both my resumes and cover letter to relate my experience to the position as well as include keywords. I'm very serious about my future. I want a good career and I'm willinging to work for it. It's a shame you can't even show employers what you are capable of. They just reject you without getting to know you. I'm tired of living like this. I just seen my cousin put in a couple of applications and got hired for two jobs. And she was out of work for like 2 or 3 weeks. Why couldn't my luck be like hers? She is another city-Jacksonville. I don't know. I'm just tired. Feels like my life is coming to an end. How do I remain positive when I have literally no money and I'm at my wits end!! I'm even more disappointed at that job loss that I was close too.
Have you considered the Federal Government? There are many entry level positions in the massive Federal Bureaucracy that don't require a specific degree. With regards to USAJobs, you have to be proactive and stick with it no matter how many rejections you get. It took me applying to 60+ positions before I landed a job offer with the VA, the important thing is to not give up!

Old 11-17-2015, 12:49 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Is this post typical of your writing style? If so, expect your resumes to get filed in the trash can.

Does your university have an office that assists new grads in the job search?

Do you have a local plasma center?

Old 11-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Is this post typical of your writing style? If so, expect your resumes to get filed in the trash can.

Does your university have an office that assists new grads in the job search?

Do you have a local plasma center?
Geesh does writing on a forum always equates to professional writing? I'm on my cellphone and it's a forum. I can careless about grammar, syntax, etc. I always proofread my work and/or seek the expertise of others when it comes to anything related to academics and my career. I'm not a dummy and actually take job hunting serious.

My university career center does not any outstanding help in the job search. It's the go to place for help with resumes and cover letters. They can can provided you with a list of jobs that are hiring, but can not help you get your feet in the door.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I'm going to say it outright, your wall of text is a tough read especially on the eyes

What were you planning to do with the History Degree? What were your initial post graduation plans?

Have you considered the Federal Government? There are many entry level positions in the massive Federal Bureaucracy that don't require a specific degree. With regards to USAJobs, you have to be proactive and stick with it no matter how many rejections you get. It took me applying to 60+ positions before I landed a job offer with the VA, the important thing is to not give up!
Aww sorry! I can get a bit lazy when typing on my phone. My apologies.

Honestly, initially, I thought about going to law. But after being in the hospitality industry, I was like why not market my degree to establishments in the arena. I would like to be apart of the daily operations of a hotel, eventually having a career as a Director of Operations or GM. I plan on getting my MBA once I get my foot in door- meaning working in some managerial or supervisory position.

Lol, I have tried USAJobs and have not been successful. I understand about continuously trying. The job that I mention in my original post, the one I'm waiting on for a 2nd interviewed, I filled out an app for it several times before I landed an interview. Persistence is definitely key. But, I'm down on my luck and just want something now, not something next month or sometimes next year. Thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:57 PM

367 posts, read 457,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
Aww sorry! I can get a bit lazy when typing on my phone. My apologies.

Honestly, initially, I thought about going to law. But after being in the hospitality industry, I was like why not market my degree to establishments in the arena. I would like to be apart of the daily operations of a hotel, eventually having a career as a Director of Operations or GM.
Having been a hiring manager for a hotel in the past, here are some suggestions...

1) Show TONS of personality during the interview. Do not be nervous at all. Showing personality in an interview shows that you will demonstrate this while on the desk as well. There's a school of thought for hiring hotel front desk staff: You can train someone with a great personality the hotel aspects. You can't train a technical genius hotel-wise to have a great personality. Guests who are on the road do not want a technical genius, they want a cheerful person at the desk.

2) Have weekend availability plus SECOND and THIRD shift availability. Do not go into a hotel interview thinking you are just going to work 7-3 or 3-11. Or that you will only have to work an occasional weekend. Or never on a holiday. Open availability is what I want to hear. Telling me you'll cover a night audit shift in an emergency... I love that.

3) Ask to see a room after the interview. Oh boy, I say one out of 10 or 20 people will do this. Nothing tells me you are more interested in MY hotel if you actually want to see a room. Once there, talk intelligently and show enthusiasm in your ability to sell what you see. Express the enthusiasm verbally. You will stand out positively if you do this, mark my words!

4) Greet any guest you see while you there, as if you were working.

However, realize....

You will never get rich working in hotels, even as a GM. I got out of them quickly.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Having been a hiring manager for a hotel in the past, here are some suggestions...

1) Show TONS of personality during the interview. Do not be nervous at all. Showing personality in an interview shows that you will demonstrate this while on the desk as well. There's a school of thought for hiring hotel front desk staff: You can train someone with a great personality the hotel aspects. You can't train a technical genius hotel-wise to have a great personality. Guests who are on the road do not want a technical genius, they want a cheerful person at the desk.

2) Have weekend availability plus SECOND and THIRD shift availability. Do not go into a hotel interview thinking you are just going to work 7-3 or 3-11. Or that you will only have to work an occasional weekend. Or never on a holiday. Open availability is what I want to hear. Telling me you'll cover a night audit shift in an emergency... I love that.

3) Ask to see a room after the interview. Oh boy, I say one out of 10 or 20 people will do this. Nothing tells me you are more interested in MY hotel if you actually want to see a room. Once there, talk intelligently and show enthusiasm in your ability to sell what you see. Express the enthusiasm verbally. You will stand out positively if you do this, mark my words!

4) Greet any guest you see while you there, as if you were working.

However, realize....

You will never get rich working in hotels, even as a GM. I got out of them quickly.
Thanks for your response. Great to hear from someone who works in the industry. The interview I had was with the Andaz- a Hyatt brand. I always thought working as a Dir. of Operations of GM at a hotel like the Hyatt or Westin that's in a city that attracts a lot of tourists will guarantee you a nice salary. I can understand your point when it comes to working somewhere like Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
If you are willing to relocate:

Colonial Williamsburg Careers - Opportunities : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site

Old 11-18-2015, 03:15 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Look into getting a teacher certification for history. Teach for a couple of years. Stack your money. Work on a degree part-time. Then make the transition.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Could also look into teach overseas once you get the bachelors.

South Korea would be your best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search