U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 06:42 PM

3,415 posts, read 3,554,577 times

Advertisements

Third and final interview was Friday. Nailed the first interview with HR manager and second with what would have been my manager. Last one was with a senior employee in the same position as I was interviewing for. Didn't know answer to first question of interview. Second one caught me off guard, but was one that I have answered correctly before.

Third job I have interviewed for the past couple months. Two with ivy league institutions. The latest with big software company.

All three would have been "game changers" meaning they would have provided a big boost to my income and resume.

Yet, I sit here now having to deal with 3 big rejections.

How do you all "bounce back" from a missed opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:09 PM

134 posts, read 137,738 times
I wish I could give great advice. But just know that the right job is out there. But then can come the stress and uncertainty of learning a new position. You seem to be intelligent just a matter of time. The new year brings new positions!

Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 PM

23 posts, read 15,696 times
You just have to look at each mistake as a learning opportunity. Next time you will be much better at interviewing! Because of the lesson you learned this time, you can go into the next interview with confidence. You have gotten multiple interviews by now and so I doubt it will be that much longer until you will have another chance at another excellent job opportunity.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,206,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Third and final interview was Friday. Nailed the first interview with HR manager and second with what would have been my manager. Last one was with a senior employee in the same position as I was interviewing for. Didn't know answer to first question of interview. Second one caught me off guard, but was one that I have answered correctly before.

Third job I have interviewed for the past couple months. Two with ivy league institutions. The latest with big software company.

All three would have been "game changers" meaning they would have provided a big boost to my income and resume.

Why are you putting all this on you, as if you failed at something? Companies change minds and directions on things all the time and it has nothing to do with those applying for the job. They finally talked to someone who has real authority to bring someone new on-board and that manager says to them, "You crazy, we have a budget crunch now, we can't bring anyone on-board now. In fact, we might have to let some people go...".

If you feel you weren't prepared, then that's something to work on. But you don't actually know of what you feared most here is the reason you were not offered a job. I know people who apply for jobs all the time, think they are a perfect match and even told "you are the lead candidate..." and they end up not filling the position with anyone. Another friend was asked back to this company three times for interviews, and with the last interview he felt they were going to make a job offer. Then two weeks later, the parent company shutdown their entire operation and many people were out of work.

Don't sit around and lick your wounds about this. Just keep looking. I recently read about a top sales guy who when he makes a sale he was working hard on, he goes out to treat himself to a nice dinner. And when he loses what would have been a big sale, he does the same thing explaining that this helps even out his mood. This way no single act of what would be considered bad news bums him out.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,117,088 times
Perhaps those "missed opportunities" happened to prepare you for something much bigger & better. I wouldn't sweat it. Take the lesson from it and keep moving ahead...

Old 11-18-2015, 09:43 AM

287 posts, read 330,577 times
These interviews are preparing you for an even more important one that is coming.

In my search, I was weak in my earlier interviews, and I really wanted those jobs too. However, I learned from my mistakes and it made be even stronger.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,283 times
Missing out on answering or giving bad answers in interviews is something you can counter if you send a timely follow-up. After you're done with the interview, send a thank you email to the people you just sat with. Tell them how much you appreciated them taking time out of their schedule to interview you. That you enjoyed talking about the topics you discussed. And THEN move into answering the question you couldn't at the time OR correcting an answer you gave at the time.

That usually helps adjust whatever negative impression you've made.

Additionally, as Princess Sachiko said, take it as a learning opportunity. Even if you get passed over after an interview, you need to learn from it. Email the company back and ask them for feedback. You'll quickly find out what your weak spots are and be able to correct them, thereby turning yourself into a stronger candidate for your next application.

If you've got more questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:41 AM

549 posts, read 438,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post

Sorry to hear this

I guess the best way is to keep looking ahead, for the next great thing. Honestly, I know that probably doesn't help much now. I had an interview in September that I STILL feel miserable about, because it went SO well, I thought I really stood a chance. Then I didn't hear anything.. ever. Obviously I didn't get the job and it is heartbreaking, because it is something I could see myself loving doing, a very secure position, with excellent benefits, short commute, etc. My income would have tripled and I am completely broke right now...so, yeah, I know it's devastating. I say this in part, because weirdly, sometimes even a superb interview doesn't work out, and sometimes ones that don't appear to go well, you land the job. DO you know for certain you won't get this position? That's a quick turn around for rejection..

I have a applied to three other positions in the past week. Seriously, it's taken me about two months to feel ready to do so since I was so upset (and I am wrapping up my degree as well). I don't advise that, since the sooner you put yourself back out there, the less time you waste dwelling on what isn't. The positions I applied for were not as much to my liking, but I would be happy to land any one of them. I figure, once I land one, I can potentially work my way into the job of my choice.

You never know what the future holds. Today may be depressing, but tomorrow, who knows? Just keep looking, keep applying, keep on moving ahead. Good luck

Old 11-19-2015, 12:12 PM

15,387 posts, read 17,655,225 times
For tech jobs, I study/prepare for at least 1 hour before each interview. Even when I am an expert for what they are looking for.

Like you, I have answered interview questions incorrectly for things I knew. It's because you only have a few seconds to respond during an interview. This is why you have several pages of bullet points that you need to review prior to the interview. The goal is to get the info fresh in your mind just prior to the interview so you can pull it out of your brain in 1-2 seconds during the interview.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:59 PM

3,415 posts, read 3,554,577 times
Excellent comments everyone. Appreciate the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or