U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 03:29 AM

297 posts, read 208,596 times

Advertisements

My friend landed an accounting gig shortly after graduation because the recruiters at the recruiting fair "loved her and hired her immediately". Her boyfriend told me this. He said it was her personality that the recruits loved (she did also have a 3.91 GPA but it was her personality that they loved and hired immediately). The boyfriend (her boyfriend) also landed a gig even before graduation at the fair, which he credits his personality for.

I mean, just seeing how your personality is like by talking to them in the recruiting fair is enough to "love you" enough to "hire you immediately"? Is this true? If so, what are personality traits that employers/recruiters love to see? And could these traits be learned? My friend said "you either have it or you don't. they can see through you". I agree only to an extent because you could practice being more charismatic and better speaker, like you could with public speaking and almost anything in life.

So do accounting employers/recruiters want great smile? loving personality? Genuinely sweet? I mean these are traits we look for in friends and mates, but even so when employing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,750,774 times
Yes. It's PUBLIC accounting. They hire a certain type and personality. They want confident people that they can put in front of a client.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:26 AM

1,196 posts, read 840,418 times
They come to the interview equipped with everything they need, and dragging around little to nothing they don't need.

Adaptability. Can work in a huge, bustling office. Can work in a quiet, legal firm type setting.

Clothing and grooming classic, not ostentatious but good quality.

They naturally put other people at ease that they know their work.

Perfect grammar and elocution; Concise and not rambling. Spontaneously gives logical and thoughtful, rather than emotional answers.

Emphatically does not interject personal life into business.

Resiliency. Able to put work duties front and center. Has already managed to take care of any personal obligations (caregiving, transportation) that might impinge upon work duties.

Good personal habits -- Nonsmoker, non- or light social drinking only. No obvious bad health habits. Height and weight proportionate. Clear complexion and alert eye contact.

"Sweet" has nothing to do with great interview persona. Clear communication and healthy personal habits do!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:16 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,985,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
My friend landed an accounting gig shortly after graduation because the recruiters at the recruiting fair "loved her and hired her immediately". Her boyfriend told me this. He said it was her personality that the recruits loved (she did also have a 3.91 GPA but it was her personality that they loved and hired immediately). The boyfriend (her boyfriend) also landed a gig even before graduation at the fair, which he credits his personality for.

I mean, just seeing how your personality is like by talking to them in the recruiting fair is enough to "love you" enough to "hire you immediately"? Is this true? If so, what are personality traits that employers/recruiters love to see? And could these traits be learned? My friend said "you either have it or you don't. they can see through you". I agree only to an extent because you could practice being more charismatic and better speaker, like you could with public speaking and almost anything in life.

So do accounting employers/recruiters want great smile? loving personality? Genuinely sweet? I mean these are traits we look for in friends and mates, but even so when employing?
First of all, this is the perception of the boyfriend. Not the people that actually hired her. Take that for what it's worth.

With that said - you can alway teach someone additional skills. You can't always change or 'teach' personality. I'm not saying I will always take someone with zero experience and a bubbly personality over someone with 3 years of experience but a bit more reserved. But in the end, social interaction IS a big part of work. Especially in environments where mutual support is required. A 'mis-matched' personality can impact the productivity of multiple people.

Hence, "fit" is a big deal.

There is no specific trait that is sought after. Of course, everyone would prefer the positive traits (friendly, nice, considerate, etc.). But the key is making sure new hires' personality matches the overall work environment. An overly social personality may be seen as a good thing, but it may not necessarily fit a team of introverted staff.

Can these traits be learned? To an extent, yes. Like you said, you can put the effort in to be better in public speaking. But putting that effort in is the hard part. Most people don't like change or putting themselves in uncomfortable situations.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
It depends on the job, sales for example requires a friendly, outgoing personality, and for some employers even pushy is a positive. Someone meek and timid is not going to be hired. In a fast paced environment doing work with multiple priorities and deadlines such as where I work, a calm, even personality and ability to handle the stress of the interview without falling apart is more important. For any job that involves working with others, either customers or just co-workers, arrogance is a negative, and the hiring manager has to consider how this person's personality would mesh with the current employees. For me that's avoiding the kind of personalities that my people have had issues with before. Does this mean that some really good people are not going to get the job because of a subjective judgement call? Yes, it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search