U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:07 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,988,715 times

Advertisements

The employer in a job I'm looking at is asking for a salary history in the application. I know why they do this - they want to screen out anyone who'd ask for too much. But I'm in the midst of a career change and I'm not looking for a job that pays what I used to get - nor will I likely be looking to get back to that level in the future (it's not realistic). I also know I probably wouldn't get that much for a job in this field.

How do I sidestep this question? I don't want my application to be rejected outright because of what I *used* to make, which realistically I won't get in this field. I'd prefer to give them a range I'm seeking. Is there a graceful way I can indicate my situation in my cover letter, or should I just include the salary range and be all "la la la I can't hear you" and not give my actual salary history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 AM

8,804 posts, read 13,297,378 times
It won't matter. A lot of places setup the salary field in the Applicant Tracking Software to automatically reject candidates who give too high of a number either in history or desired.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:15 AM

My only suggestion is lie.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My only suggestion is lie.
Give your take home rather than gross, that's not lying but has the same potential for a better outcome.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:10 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,114,293 times
Research average salaries for this new field so you have a ballpark number. Then include a range in your cover letter. Keep it short and simple:

"Per your request, I am seeking a salary in the range of $xx-XXX, negotiable based on specific job responsibilities and total compensation package".

Old 11-18-2015, 10:20 AM

464 posts, read 662,169 times
Refuse to provide the salary history. There's no use except for them to minimize your earning potential based upon your past salaries. I highly recommend reading Nick Corcodilo's article regarding NOT disclosing salary history to potential employers.

If only more applicants would stand up against this I believe employers would stop this heinous practice. Those who given in and comply only weaken things for other American workers and thus share the blame for extending this kind of abuse.

Stand your ground and place the ball back into their court!

Old 11-18-2015, 10:27 AM

In the hiring process nowadays if you don't play ball and do whatever HR tells you they just deep 6 your app and declare you a "troublesome" candidate.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,114,293 times
I agree that one should not voluntarily provide salary history. But, some jobs specifically ask for it on the application. In these cases, the option is to either provide it or not apply for the job. OP will have to decide how much this opportunity is worth to him/her.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 AM

No, I don't need to lie. I already know what's a competitive salary in this field. I just don't want to mention how much I used to be making, because that is not what I'm seeking.

"It won't matter. A lot of places setup the salary field in the Applicant Tracking Software to automatically reject candidates who give too high of a number either in history or desired."

But I probably wouldn't be giving too high of a number in desired... that's my issue. I'd probably be a desirable candidate to them (salary wise) based on my desired range... but not on my salary history.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It won't matter. A lot of places setup the salary field in the Applicant Tracking Software to automatically reject candidates who give too high of a number either in history or desired.
Yeah, but that's not my problem really... my desired salary would likely be well within their "OK" range. My past salary wouldn't be. I just want to find a way to indicate to them (gracefully) that I am making a career change and not expecting salary based on my past earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or