U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:55 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,858,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoois View Post
none taken i already know about my weight i have been struggling since I was a kid. eating is the only thing that gave me any sort of pleasure in my life cutting down is going to difficult.

i'd rather not have anyone who actually knows me because i don't know trust strangers with and sure as hell dont trust my family members without the benefit of anonymity.

and i will look at best buy thanks.
Well, you have to start small. I didn't just cut like that. Weight is definitely a factor when employers hire. Its discrimination but they will find a way to soften the blow. Try walking for two or three days. Start small and work your way up. It also helps with depression because you're out of the house. Don't stop at any restaurants or fast food places.

You can turn this around.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 PM

789 posts, read 1,681,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
STOP with the self-sabotage. Contact Goodwill Industries in your area and ask about job search services.

Find Jobs and Services | Goodwill Industries International, Inc.
I love this idea. Do this yesterday. Promise yourself that you will commit to it.

And find some sort of therapy. It sounds like you have some issues that you need to work out, certainly with confidence and anxiety. Don't try to force yourself to do that on your own. Seek professional help. Find a therapist you like and can trust. Don't assume you need to figure all of this out on your own. If you don't have any insurance, look for free programs through your city/state or with charitable/church organizations.

Stop drifting at sea. You know your limitations and there's no shame in that. We all have limitations and everyone is different. Focus on the things that you enjoy. Do you love animals?... if so, look into what types of jobs in that arena are hiring and the needed qualifications. Research how to get those qualifications and make a plan. Do you love kids?...set up a profile on Care.com and get some experience so that you can look into applying for nanny positions with agencies. Get CPR and first aid certified. Check a community college for some early childhood education classes. The important thing is figuring out what types of jobs are available in your area, finding the path to gaining entry level employment for those jobs, and going the route that you think will work best for you.

In the mean time, start looking for volunteering opportunities. This will help you work through some of your issues. It'll get you out of the house. You'll gain experience, make new contacts, and have something to put on your resume. It's typically low stress and high appreciation, so it should help with your anxiety. And staying on your feet as much as possible can help with your weight too. And it may even lead to a full-time position.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 311 times
Stop doubting yourself, there are many obese people that are really successful so stop using that as an excuse.

If you reallllly want a job, you will go for it. I know what's it's like, I'm kind of in the same boat. But you just got to try. Fake the confidence until it over comes you. Apply everywhere, your more likely to get a dumb job you don't like ( like more than half of everyone living ) until you get back on your feet.

Maybe, try finding a job that includes something you like to do. For example if you like arts & crafts apply for a retail position at an arts & crafts store.

If you feel like all hope is lost, and everything is impossible and you really don't see no point in even trying, go see a doctor.

Another thing is, you might want to learn how to over coming the things that stop you from prospering. Work on your patience, and believe in yourself.

Good luck, you can do anything you want as long you put your mind to it !
Xoxo

Last edited by Lanilans; 11-20-2015 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: Multiple typos

Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 AM

7,352 posts, read 4,456,293 times
Let's put the job situation aside for a moment. A lot of the things you're saying indicate to me that you may benefit from some sessions with a therapist to help you feel better about yourself and to work through the issues that are keeping you from moving forward with life. Make an appointment with your family doctor and explain the depression and emotions you're dealing with, and ask for a referral to a therapist. You need someone to talk to besides strangers on the internet.

In terms of your job search, set some smaller goals. For instance, take an introduction to business course at a local community college. This will help you get out of the house, connect with other people, AND build some basic business knowledge and skills that you can put on a resume. Just sign up for one course, and see how it goes.

Next, look around in your local community for a volunteer opportunity. It could be something as simple as bagging groceries in the local food pantry. Again, this will help you get out of the house and build skills that you can put on a resume. And, you'll be using your time to help others until you begin working.

Obviously, keep applying to jobs (be open to a part-time retail job if necessary), but don't let your job search be an excuse for getting the rest of your life into a happier place.

But, the first step is making that appointment with your doctor to ask for a referral to a therapist who can give you support as you move forward with your life.

Hugs and best wishes!

Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 PM

5,156 posts, read 2,607,443 times
OP, I've been working 65-70 hours a week and I still go to the gym 3 times a week. My boyfriend is a full time student and hr works out every other day.

Stop eating junk food and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Get out there and try to achieve!

Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM

1,077 posts, read 647,592 times
Please talk to someone. Who cares if it.s a stranger like a counselor? You gotta let it out to someone. Once you let go of some baggage, you will feel lighter and more confident. That, then, will give u motivation to keep moving.
Even better, go volunteer at an animal shelter or hospital or homeless shelter. That will end the self-pity and get you outta your head.
Call your county office and get some phone numbers.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:00 PM

241 posts, read 883,114 times
You definitely need to get started on losing the weight. Not only will you feel a lot better and have more confidence in yourself but it will make getting jobs easier as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or