U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:40 PM

18,379 posts, read 23,576,689 times

Advertisements

consider extra gas, extra travelling time,,,extra wear n tear on tires/vehicle and lets not forget your carbon footprint..

ive passed on higher paying salaries.... break that 10k down by net pay,,,what are you really going to make after taxes ?? in certain income bracketts,,,its 50% net

that 1 hour extra travelling per day is 20 hrs per month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 05:23 PM

6,663 posts, read 3,769,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings356 View Post
Hey all,

Was very fortunate enough to receive two different job offers. Both jobs are in my field of study, and are very similar in terms of structure and job duties. The one job pays around $10,000 more than the other job, but it is decently farther away from where I live.

The question is, should I take the job that pays more but is farther away, or the job that pays less but is closer? Both are respected corporations, and both are essentially the same job function, in my field of study.

Thank you!
What are the retirement benefits? If you stay a long time, the DIFFERENCE in retirement benefits between the two jobs could amount to tens of thousands of dollars.

Is the retirement plan a 401K?

How much does the employer contribute to the 401k? Is it a contribution, or is it a match?

How long until you are 100% vested in the retirement plan?

How long until you can participate in the retirement plan?

How many days off for personal use?

How much vacation time?

Is parking free? Or does the co. contribute to parking fees?

Is there public transportation available to either job, should you need it?

How many hours is the work week for each job?

Are there a lot of places to eat nearby for each?

Are there break rooms and microwaves and eating facilities in the office?

Is there a Christmas bonus?

Is there any other type of bonus?

Are you reviewed annually on your hiring anniversary? Or annually on the same date as all other employees?

Have you been able to get an idea of percentage of normal raises, for those who are doing all right?

Will evening or weekend work be required?

Are the office digs the same for both? A cubicle? Or an office?

How is the computer and other equipment in the office? That is very telling. Is it state of the art, and plenty of it? Or is it a get-by set of computers, and they're cheap on how many top level printers they have.

Salary is just one part of the payment for a job. There are many others.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,437,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
37 mile aint nothing, you could move 15 miles if you wanted and still be in the same neighborhood. I drive 71 miles each way daily

I agree. A 30-min difference in commute is not a clear dealbreaker in my book.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:13 PM

43 posts, read 20,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What are the retirement benefits? If you stay a long time, the DIFFERENCE in retirement benefits between the two jobs could amount to tens of thousands of dollars.

Is the retirement plan a 401K?

How much does the employer contribute to the 401k? Is it a contribution, or is it a match?

How long until you are 100% vested in the retirement plan?

How long until you can participate in the retirement plan?

How many days off for personal use?

How much vacation time?

Is parking free? Or does the co. contribute to parking fees?

Is there public transportation available to either job, should you need it?

How many hours is the work week for each job?

Are there a lot of places to eat nearby for each?

Are there break rooms and microwaves and eating facilities in the office?

Is there a Christmas bonus?

Is there any other type of bonus?

Are you reviewed annually on your hiring anniversary? Or annually on the same date as all other employees?

Have you been able to get an idea of percentage of normal raises, for those who are doing all right?

Will evening or weekend work be required?

Are the office digs the same for both? A cubicle? Or an office?

How is the computer and other equipment in the office? That is very telling. Is it state of the art, and plenty of it? Or is it a get-by set of computers, and they're cheap on how many top level printers they have.

Salary is just one part of the payment for a job. There are many others.
The benefits and other parts of the job(s) are definitely important as well. The benefits for both jobs are basically the same, in terms of 401k, PTO, vacation time, retirement, etc.

Both jobs are IT based, and I wouldn't be starting for a little while now, so I can't answer all of these questions. Still very good points to bring up, as salary shouldn't always be the determining factor in most cases.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 PM

15,038 posts, read 21,780,393 times
I would look at the company culture as well. Is there one you like better than the other? Can you counter the one offering you less for a higher salary?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM

717 posts, read 593,092 times
you are young. focus on your career. take the higher paying job and move closer to it. i like one person's suggestion to give her 6 months to find a job closer to your new job (and home). my dh makes twice my income. we will move wherever his job takes us (he's also in IT). it'd be ridiculous to sacrifice his career path for my low paying job. your current salary can have long term effects on your future salary.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:40 AM
bUU

11,891 posts, read 8,679,201 times
Life isn't just about money, and if your feelings for your partner are such that her concerns about moving are easily dismissed, then perhaps you are better off moving closer to the better paying job yourself, leaving her behind, getting a place of your own. If you two were "meant to be" then you'll find a way back to each other.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would look at the company culture as well. Is there one you like better than the other? Can you counter the one offering you less for a higher salary?
From the interviews and from what I heard from people that work at both places, the culture is quite similar, but does vary depending on what department you would go into. In terms of counter offering, both companies don't negotiate salaries and are fairly fixed in terms of compensation.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
you are young. focus on your career. take the higher paying job and move closer to it. i like one person's suggestion to give her 6 months to find a job closer to your new job (and home). my dh makes twice my income. we will move wherever his job takes us (he's also in IT). it'd be ridiculous to sacrifice his career path for my low paying job. your current salary can have long term effects on your future salary.
I agree fully with that. My significant other doesn't want to sacrifice my career, she just has worked very hard to get to where she is at, after spending many years at a place that did not treat her well, so she is trying compromise with both of our careers.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Life isn't just about money, and if your feelings for your partner are such that her concerns about moving are easily dismissed, then perhaps you are better off moving closer to the better paying job yourself, leaving her behind, getting a place of your own. If you two were "meant to be" then you'll find a way back to each other.
I don't know about the whole "meant to be" thing, but we both have been through a lot together over the years, and I am hoping that we can both compromise and do the best thing for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or