U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 06:21 PM

9,280 posts, read 11,966,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Were you tried and convicted as an adult? If not, I'd think juvenile records would be sealed.
And, that's the big mistake many make, Example in Indiana, a youth who was arrested and not convicted can move to have their records sealed (closed to view) and expunged (erased). However, if they were convicted, they have to wait a minimum of 1 year before they can petition the court to seal/expunge records. Certain offenses can;t be sealed regardless. So, it's not automatic and is probably why so many juvenile records can be seen; the offender never petitioned the court for an action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:32 AM

297 posts, read 209,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Were you tried and convicted as an adult? If not, I'd think juvenile records would be sealed.
i didn't go to court. I think they thought it would waste too much money and time to have me go to court for such a small sum of money stolen (~120 bucks) and for my first time of breaking the law, so they just had me talk to a probation officer, who had me do two days worth of community service.

a government website says that if you case was dismissed after jan 2015, then smaller crimes would automatically be sealed after a while, if you stay out of trouble ( they changed the law in cali). My crime was dismissed back in 2009, so i have to apply for sealing. I am confident that i would get it sealed because i have stayed out of trouble since and i didn't go to court for it.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 AM

9,819 posts, read 17,082,024 times
You probably talked to a magistrate. Call the juvenile court from the jurisidction involved and ask them what they do with adjudicated records.

You are obsessing over a non-issue. Kids do stupid things -- even the government knows this. If a juvenile shoplifting charge will not prevent someone from becoming a federal agent, or a military weapons engineer with a top secret security clearance, it is not going to prevent you from being an accountant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or