U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:32 AM

297 posts, read 208,725 times

Advertisements

I got a shop lifting misdemeanor when i was 16. Do I have shot at government accounting jobs, or should i just forget it and just focus on finding private sector work (who would not have access to my juvenile records)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,983,142 times
By and large, no one anywhere cares about a juvenile arrest record.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 AM

232 posts, read 145,180 times
If it's still on your record, yes, it can still hinder your employment chances.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:14 AM

684 posts, read 501,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
I got a shop lifting misdemeanor when i was 16. Do I have shot at government accounting jobs, or should i just forget it and just focus on finding private sector work (who would not have access to my juvenile records)?
How old are you now ?

personally I would get a criminal record just to avoid accounting

Anyhoo, this "shoplifting" record will stay on your record for a limited period of time and will have a local scope in background investigations. This means (probably no-one will find out about it).

Juvenile records are not visible on adult background check, so if you have reached adult age it will not be visible.

Misdemeanor record is only visible for (7 years) I think, and can be expunged before 7 years are up.

Misdemeanor record is only visible in local background search. They have to look into your background for that specific state, so general (federal) check will not show up, they have to run background check for that specific state.

Sincerely,

~V~

Old 11-20-2015, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
How old are you now ?

personally I would get a criminal record just to avoid accounting

Anyhoo, this "shoplifting" record will stay on your record for a limited period of time and will have a local scope in background investigations. This means (probably no-one will find out about it).

Juvenile records are not visible on adult background check, so if you have reached adult age it will not be visible.

Misdemeanor record is only visible for (7 years) I think, and can be expunged before 7 years are up.

Misdemeanor record is only visible in local background search. They have to look into your background for that specific state, so general (federal) check will not show up, they have to run background check for that specific state.

Sincerely,

~V~
i am turning 23 in january.

thank you for your helpful comment!

Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,819,477 times
It will not matter at all. Just do not lie about it when asked or when it comes up on applications.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:51 AM

6,848 posts, read 3,718,587 times
By itself, no it will not matter. Probably wouldn't matter even on a clearance investigation if you can explain that it was youthful stupidity and you haven't done it again. The most important thing is do not lie when the question is asked. Just tell the truth. The gov is far more concerned about the integrity of lying than about youthful mistakes.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:14 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,832,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
Arrest and convictions are handled on an individual basis by both the government and private sector. There isn't any rule that it will hamper your ability to get employment. For most government positions where they run a criminal background check, that record (juvenile or not) may be available to them. But, what a company/agency decides to do with that information is theirs to decide.

There are laws, federal and individual states, that may limit the time period that certain records can be disclosed on a background check by a private employer. You will want to familiarize yourself with those depending on which state your applying in.

Now, I want to say one thing that you need to be aware of. Juvenile records are not (despite popular belief) automatically sealed and not available to the private sector. Each state sets their own standard for juvenile records. Additionally, each state establishes their own regulations on engagements. As a result, you will want to either contact an attorney familiar with this issue or the court with jurisdiction over your case and simply ask exactly what is disclosed and what they have disclosed. The reason for knowing what has been disclosed is many times, states will modify the information entered regarding certain juvenile arrest so that it will not appear as any criminal event on any system outside the court.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Arrest and convictions are handled on an individual basis by both the government and private sector. There isn't any rule that it will hamper your ability to get employment. For most government positions where they run a criminal background check, that record (juvenile or not) may be available to them. But, what a company/agency decides to do with that information is theirs to decide.

There are laws, federal and individual states, that may limit the time period that certain records can be disclosed on a background check by a private employer. You will want to familiarize yourself with those depending on which state your applying in.

Now, I want to say one thing that you need to be aware of. Juvenile records are not (despite popular belief) automatically sealed and not available to the private sector. Each state sets their own standard for juvenile records. Additionally, each state establishes their own regulations on engagements. As a result, you will want to either contact an attorney familiar with this issue or the court with jurisdiction over your case and simply ask exactly what is disclosed and what they have disclosed. The reason for knowing what has been disclosed is many times, states will modify the information entered regarding certain juvenile arrest so that it will not appear as any criminal event on any system outside the court.
i live in SF california, and according to the government sources, you are correct.
They say that the FEDERAL government will see sealed records, and that it would affect you if you want to work for private companies that work for the fed in jobs that require security clearance. Are most government accounting jobs part of the federal government? I'd imagine that accounting at that level would require decades of experience first, but i also imagine that even at the state or city level or even the most entry level, they would be very hesitant to hire an accountant with a juvenile record of dishonest conduct, since that employee could have the chance of reaching those high federal gov positions one day. What do you think?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:05 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Were you tried and convicted as an adult? If not, I'd think juvenile records would be sealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or