U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,621,421 times

Advertisements

I did something stupid...
I applied for a job in another town, for something I know how to do, but which is about an hour or so from here, because I was sure they would pass on me anyway given the employment gap etc....but they called, and I missed it...should I call back? I don't even know what to say...I haven't had an employer call back in 10 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 AM

580 posts, read 436,694 times
Before you do, are you willing to commute that far everyday? Or are you planning to move to the town this job is in? If so, go for it.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:05 AM

12,170 posts, read 10,353,957 times
If you are interested in the job then call back, if not, don't.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:07 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,621,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Before you do, are you willing to commute that far everyday? Or are you planning to move to the town this job is in? If so, go for it.
Well, I could commute...it won't be the best. We lived there before, and because of the land locked area that it is(no beaches), I won't live there again...I would buy a vacation condo if i won the lottery but that's the extent of "living" there...

I really didn't think they'll call me, my resume wasn't an exact match, and my address on my resume does not reflect that city at all.

I just feel like I don't know what to say, and I am afraid of getting overly excited about doing something I might not know how to do...(even if I did know, nerves would work against me; wish there was a pill for that!) LOL

Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM

684 posts, read 501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Well, I could commute...it won't be the best. We lived there before, and because of the land locked area that it is(no beaches), I won't live there again...I would buy a vacation condo if i won the lottery but that's the extent of "living" there...

I really didn't think they'll call me, my resume wasn't an exact match, and my address on my resume does not reflect that city at all.

I just feel like I don't know what to say, and I am afraid of getting overly excited about doing something I might not know how to do...(even if I did know, nerves would work against me; wish there was a pill for that!) LOL

If you ask me, logic should prevail over irrationality.
If you want the job, call em back.
If you applied in error, ignore.
If you wait to long to call back, they will forget about you.

The unemployment rates in US are low, so even thought you gaps on your resume, you can yet find a job.

If you remember the recession of 2008, many people ended up with gaps on the their resume's after that.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:24 AM

684 posts, read 501,129 times
Some people list volunteer experience to cover up the gaps.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:39 AM

580 posts, read 436,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask them about more information about the job description and that should help you determine if it's a right fit for you and if you are willing to commute everyday an hour there and back, since moving is out of the question, then try it. At the worst, you won't take the job, and you will find something else that fits you better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search