U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 01:24 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,601,598 times

Advertisements

I recently was approached, met with and offered a job at another company (same industry, different sector).

Here is how the breakdown goes.

Offer is 14% higher than my current salary
Offer has a higher 401k match than current
Same vacation as current
Offer has better title than current and more room to grow (bigger company)
Potential for bonus is larger in the offer than my current
Insurance is better than current
Offer includes monthly car allowance and fuel card. Current offers nothing
Training is offered at offer. Current has minimal if any.

What to do?

I really like my current company, the treat me well but what scares me is the upside potential here. I had a goal of where I want to be at a certain age and this is on the right track.

The new company works in a different realm of the industry, one I have worked in before. It's very interesting but what intrigues me most about the offer is it is more of a manager level with better training

Anyone ever been in a certain situation like this, please offer advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,413,387 times
It seems everything says the new job is better but you are hesitant because your old job has been nice to you. I see absolutely no reason to stay at your old job. This one is a no-brainer. Take the job.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It seems everything says the new job is better but you are hesitant because your old job has been nice to you. I see absolutely no reason to stay at your old job. This one is a no-brainer. Take the job.
That is the type of straight up answer I was looking for. You are right I am very hesitant because they have been so nice to me.

Thank you.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 PM

789 posts, read 1,683,746 times
I agree that it sounds like you should take the job. Meanwhile, make sure you leave your current job on great terms. Do everything you can to ensure a smooth transition. Thank them for the opportunity and for being a great company. Let them know that you're only leaving because you want to try out a management level position to see if that's a good path for you (pick something that they can't offer you). If things don't work out at the new job, you may have the opportunity to go back to the old job. If there are no hard feelings and you don't mind admitting to them that management wasn't for you (regardless of whether this is the reason you don't like the new place), you may be able to go back without any problems. I've not only seen others do this successfully; I've done it once myself.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:34 AM

9,808 posts, read 17,032,834 times
You like your job, you like your co-workers, and you don't want to leave your comfort zone, which is perfectly normal. I think you know what you need to do if you are interested in career progression.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:04 AM

4,873 posts, read 4,983,050 times
In this economy the only way to get a substantial salary increase without going into management is to change companies.

If I were you, I'd go for it.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Thank you all for your advice and perspective.

I do like this company and the people, but the benefits (both $ and opportunity) seem to be greater at the other. In fact, I left this company a couple years ago and we re-hired when they had an opening. I've been back with them for 3+ years.

The other company is very stable and actually deals in a more stable market (non political).

I spoke to a family member who was very high up in a large company and he said take it. The growth and my personal goals are met with this new position.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,342,457 times
you should take the offer if you are confident you can do the job. All of the aspects in the offer are better, so what is really holding you back is your own fear. You can get fired at any moment, regardless of how long you have been at a company - make sure you have a plan.

If it were me, i would take the offer - save the 14% and extra bonus until you're comfortable in your role

Old 11-21-2015, 04:27 PM

13 posts, read 8,890 times
How long have you been at your current job?

Old 11-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt65 View Post
How long have you been at your current job?
3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search