Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 10:16 PM

140 posts, read 191,832 times

Advertisements

Every time I follow up on an application, the managers act like I'm being a nuisance and shoo me away... but yet if I don't follow up I will only get a response 1 out of 1000 times.

What is the etiquette here? Apply to 1000 different places and hope someone gives you a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 10:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
Every time I follow up on an application, the managers act like I'm being a nuisance and shoo me away... but yet if I don't follow up I will only get a response 1 out of 1000 times.

What is the etiquette here? Apply to 1000 different places and hope someone gives you a chance?
More or less. Mgt here doesn't usually pull up applications unless they are actively looking to hire, so timing is everything. If every single person who put in an application came in and asked to speak to the mgr about their application status it would be ...annoying.
Best bet is to dress nicely, go up to someone who looks like they have a clue (usually not just some random cashier) and say something like "hi, I put in an application last week and I wondered if there was someone here who could tell me if you're doing any hiring right now". A lot of of the time the response is going to be "no, we aren't hiring right now", but with any luck (and having made a good impression) the person you talk to might get a manager out to talk to you if they are hiring, or at least take your name to give to the manager. If we are looking to hire and I'm approached like that by someone who seems like a good candidate I definitely pass that info on to the hiring manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search