Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 07:19 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview on Monday. I met for a half an hour each with four people so the entire interview ran from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. I get really nervous on interviews but I prepared and I think it went well. I left feeling very optimistic. I sent four separate thank you e-mails (and copied the HR person on each one) first thing Tuesday morning. I only had the e-mail address for the HR person but since company e-mail addresses usually follow the same naming convention, I didn't think it was necessary to ask for business cards. I formatted each e-mail address using the same style: first initial.last name@company name.org. I received an out-of-office e-mail message for one out of the four e-mails I sent. It was from someone at the company but not the person I intended it for. It was from someone who also had the same first initial but it was a different first name.

So I then called the main number for the company, explained my situation, and asked for the person's correct e-mail address. I was told they can't give out that information. I then mentioned that I followed the same naming convention as the HR person's e-mail address and the receptionist said they don't format their e-mail addresses that way. So...I then called the HR person directly telling her what happened (although she should be able to figure it out too since I copied her on the e-mail in question) and asked her to call me back so I could get the correct e-mail address and resend it. That was yesterday morning and I didn't get a call back. I gave her until this afternoon and I still didn't hear back so I called her again and left another voicemail message. Her recording didn't state that she was out of the office but of course she could have been out sick or something. I'm left feeling a bit confused and deflated. I didn't feel like I did anything wrong yesterday but now I can't help feeling like maybe I did screw up somehow. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:58 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,914 times
Send actual thank you cards via USPS. Don't mention the email mix-up. In the future, always ask for a business card.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
It's not that important. Every once in awhile someone will tell a story about how a thank you note got them a job. About all of us who hire people will tell you that they don't have any impact on the hiring process.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:16 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It's not that important. Every once in awhile someone will tell a story about how a thank you note got them a job. About all of us who hire people will tell you that they don't have any impact on the hiring process.
I agree with you. The general consensus seems to be that it's still the proper thing to do though.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,681 times
You can send that person an actual thank you note if the email thing didn't work out. And for next time, while you're sending a thank you note out to someone you know and don't have one person's email, you can say "Could I get Ms. X's email please? I wanted to personally thank her myself for taking the time out to interview me." Good chance that you'll get the email you want that way. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2015, 06:00 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
It was unprofessional for them not to return your call.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
if you really like to send thank you notes- then just send them via regular mail. I will tell you as a prior hiring manager i never cared if i received thank you notes or not. More often than not i was too busy to even pay much attention to them to be honest. You'll get the job if you were the best applicant, not because you did or didn't send a thank you.

Also as you've quickly learned don't assume naming conventions for email. Sometimes companies will change conventions multiple times so it's best to ask for the email if you want it.

I also wouldn't recommend calling the HR person back again. They are extremely busy (and i'm not the HR recruiter fan person) and they probably have a lot of other openings they are working. You will run the risk of being mentioned off the record to the hiring manager if you continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search