U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 02:52 PM

254 posts, read 682,848 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I interviewed for this procurement position last May (it's a startup company). They really liked me but the position was on hold. They called me back to interview this past Wednesday. I have kept in touch via phone with the hiring manager over the past 5 months or so. They are really starting to do well and I have a chance at the Purchasing Manager position. We had a 2 hr interview with myself, owner, hiring manager and another staff member. Only 3 people in the main office now and a few in another location.
I really WANT the job and get along with everyone but they have 2 more interviews on Monday. They are both men and I always seem to lose a job when a man is involved in the interview process.....just sayin....Anyway- I wrote a thank you note to Prez and got this reply yesterday. Any thoughts of good or bad sign or just a non committal? I have been interviewing so long that I have no insight to anything anymore. Just hoping you guys could give a thumbs up or thumbs down. It doesn't really mean anything until I get an offer - I know that, but here is the reply from my Thank you not I sent to Prez below:

[ "I appreciate your note and believe you may be a perfect fit. We are going to interview two others on Monday and make a decision and get a contract out by Tuesday. If need be we will have you come in again but I believe we all have a understanding of your ability and potential contribution.

Have a nice weekend"

hmmmm not sure if positive or generic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 02:58 PM

23,614 posts, read 17,606,575 times
I would be questioning what is wrong with the company if it is a regular position and hiring has dragged out for six months.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:10 PM

The position was put on hold due to budget. Sales are doing well and job has reopened.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM

549 posts, read 437,743 times
Generic, no guarantees. They want to meet with the two others, and anything could happen with them. Nothing's final until the offer is in hand. Good luck though!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:37 PM

71 posts, read 44,616 times
Can't really give any expertise because I have none. But, good luck to you!

Old 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM

I found out that the other candidates are men, as a woman and being up against men in the past - the more I think about it, I might as well kiss this one good bye. I never get the job when the other candidates I am up against are men. The search continues.......... Thanks for the replies.

Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
I found out that the other candidates are men, as a woman and being up against men in the past - the more I think about it, I might as well kiss this one good bye. I never get the job when the other candidates I am up against are men. The search continues.......... Thanks for the replies.

Happy Thanksgiving
Kimbey I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with this in the past but it is unrelated to this position. I just think you/we can't determine your chances based on an email response such as that. The truth is one of the other candidates may somehow be a better fit for the position, regardless of sex. Or..it may be you! At least you will know either way, yes?

I had an interview for a position I dearly, dearly wanted back in September. I interviewed in near perfect form (by far the best I've ever had), passed a skills test, and felt super confident. However I never heard back from them, not one word. The position was just filled earlier this month (so tells an inside source) but I was waiting on pins and needles in a state of high anxiety for TWO LONG months. I think I "overqualified" myself for the position (meaning they thought I would not stay and/or want more money) since I failed to sell to them, what they needed to hear. But oh well.

I say this because I want you to know that there is nothing wrong with you- clearly they liked you very much! But sometimes it's seemingly minor nuances that cause us to lose out. Don't assume, that if you're up against men, you will NEVER get the position. You may get this one in fact, who knows? But never treat a position as your end-all-be-all. Always keep looking. Fight another day

Old 11-22-2015, 06:18 PM

And Happy Thanksgiving to you also.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:57 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,457,386 times
I think your chances sound just fine. I wouldn't read into that email too much. It's nice they mentioned the good fit, but you don't know what the two upcoming interviews will be like. Totally agree with nostone about a lot of things, but especially this one:
Quote:
I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with this in the past but it is unrelated to this position.
You don't know the other two candidates, but it sounds like both you and the hiring people had a good feeling about your prospective ability to do the job.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get good news and have much to be thankful for come Thursday

Old 11-22-2015, 07:00 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,287,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post

Happy Thanksgiving

So you give up because in the past something happened?
Alrighty then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or