U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:40 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,711,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I'm a vegetarian so it would probably be a bit more difficult for me. Try telling that to a hiring manager and watch their jaw drop. They just can't comprehend it and realize that not everyone is the same...lol

What people can't comprehend is why you feel the need to mention it at all. Nobody cares what you eat. Just order. Mentioning it just makes you seem high-maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:53 AM

12,185 posts, read 10,373,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What people can't comprehend is why you feel the need to mention it at all. Nobody cares what you eat. Just order. Mentioning it just makes you seem high-maintenance.
Yep, it seems many vegans / vegetarians / whateveretarians like everyone to know of their particular likes and dislikes but also are ready to pounce on anyone who shows the tiniest bit of confusion and / or questioning. I don't care what the heck it is you eat or don't eat. Order it and be done. If you think there will be ZERO vegan / vegetarian offerings at the restaurant I chose, then you will figure something out. Odds are 99.99% of places have something vegan / vegetarian on the menu and if not, then well, too bad. Oh and it's not all that special BTW. Anyone can do it. My jaw surely would be dropping but not for the reason you think.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:11 AM

7,229 posts, read 12,680,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I see the interview meal time as a time to relax and get to know each other.
Same as going out to eat with co-workers.

You get to see other side of people when you let them relax and have a friendly conversation.
Except that if it's an all-day interview situation, then mealtime is just one more part of the interview. It's NOT like going out to eat with co-workers!

I work in academia and we do all-day interviews for tenure-track faculty positions (candidates usually fly in on one day, interview all the next day, then fly out on day 3). Candidates get breakfast on their own (reimbursed), but lunch and dinner are part of the interview process. I think most realize that, but we've had a couple of candidates who ordered alcoholic beverages with dinner (one candidate ordered more than one drink!). They didn't know that the College doesn't pay for alcohol, so whoever is hosting the candidate has to pay out of his/her own pocket for whatever the candidate drinks.

When I interviewed here many years ago now, I was met for dinner my first day by the department chair. She is very reserved and not particularly friendly, and it was very awkward for the first several minutes. At some point, though, we got to talking about a book that we both knew well and liked, and that led to other academic-type stuff, and the conversation was really fun after that. But boy, I still remember thinking how badly I was doing at the start of that dinner ...

Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 AM

549 posts, read 437,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I don't like them either.

I had one where they took me to breakfast before the interview (IHOP). I was in a different time zone, so it felt like lunchtime for me by then. (My hotel had no food.) I was going to be with them all day til lunch. They had me order first. I ordered 2 eggs, potatoes, toast and coffee.

The interviewers ordered coffee and toast, then made several comments about how much food I ordered, did I know how much food it would be, calories, how they can't eat as much as I was eating, etc. I thought it was pretty rude of them. I ate half of it because they made such an awkward drama out of it.

They had flown me out the day before, so it's not like I was breaking the bank at IHOP.
Seriously? How unbelievably rude! I'd be so aggravated. Who invites someone out to a restaurant and then hassles them about their food choices? I can't believe people like this exist. I'd take myself out of consideration for the job the moment I walked out the door, based solely on such poor behavior. What a company that must have a been to work for..

I've not had an interview entailing dinner but I did have one at a Starbucks once, for an insurance agent assistant job. I don't like Starbucks (hate coffee). I wasn't sure what the protocol for such a meeting would be, either, but it went pretty well. I ended moving or else I would have taken the job. Anyways Starbucks is one thing, I would hate to have to eat I. Front of someone I'm trying to impress. I prefer to eat alone in general, and trying to keep all the etiquette straight would be stressful. I think I could manage it but it would be exhausting..i just hope I never have to go through it

Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,589,896 times
We have long interviews but try to schedule them early in the day or after 12 to accommodate lunches. I wouldn't feel comfortable being interviewed by someone over a meal. If it was before or after the interview and someone wanted to take me to lunch, I would think it's a bit odd, but wouldn't necessarily object.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:11 AM

848 posts, read 642,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We have long interviews but try to schedule them early in the day or after 12 to accommodate lunches. I wouldn't feel comfortable being interviewed by someone over a meal. If it was before or after the interview and someone wanted to take me to lunch, I would think it's a bit odd, but wouldn't necessarily object.
The company I interviewed with and just accepted a job offer with 2 weeks ago had two peer level workers (chemists) take me out to lunch in the middle of the interview panel. I interviewed with 3 interviews before lunch.

During lunch time the two chemists took me out to lunch at my restaurant of choice and it was just a casual/small talk conversation. No interview questions and they told me that they had no say of whether or not I should be hired and the interview panel wasn't going to ask them anything about our conversation.

Therefore, only the directors of the research group and the senior lead scientists that I interviewed with all day had say in making the final decision of extending an offer.

In that case I don't mind lunch during the interview if I am not being asked interview questions or being evaluated over my meal. The company I am about to work for knows interviewee's are stressed, nervous, and tired from traveling so it's a proper courtesy to provide the candidates with lunch and a time to relax.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:48 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,295,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My jaw surely would be dropping but not for the reason you think.
You've already opened your mouth wide enough over the years.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,711,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You've already opened your mouth wide enough over the years.

Pot, meet kettle.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:26 PM

2,064 posts, read 3,701,894 times
i have seen this done well a few times.

1) i was at a startup and we wanted to hire an engineer. he did well in the interview but since the tech industry is small, we knew some folks at his last company and their feedback was that he was socially very odd and sometimes inappropriate. my co-workers and i didn't know how to interpret that (they wouldn't go into detail) so we didn't know if it was something that could get the company in trouble (e.g. "he grabs asses") or if it was relatively harmless.

we ended up talking him out to dinner and he was fine. he had a few odd stories about going to a club and pretending that he was the founder of yahoo (or another big tech company), etc. but we didn't feel that he would get us in trouble so we hired him. he turned out fine.

2) one of my first job offers out of college was with the LA Times and the 2 guys there took me out to lunch. they were pretty cool and we had more of a conversation. i got to eat a bit as well. it was fun.

3) at my current company, we have lunch interviews but we tell the candidate that it's a time for them to get some food and relax. the interviewer does not submit formal feedback. however, we don't want candidates to go crazy so we keep it professional, etc. and treat it mostly as a time for candidates to take a break and ask questions. i think we do it right.

4) at my most recent previous company, they were frugal so we had to take candidates out for lunch and try to keep the bills reasonable. this usually meant taking them down to the office cafeteria or somewhere to get a sandwich, etc. it was ok but usually not private enough. at that company, the hiring manager usually got the lunch interview and asked questions, etc. so it was an important interview (if the HM doesn't want you, you probably won't get an offer). that's not the best way to do it.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:19 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,283,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

But almost every place in our niche industry does this.

What do y'all think?
In your industry, everything you are describing (and then some) is standard and expected by most candidates.

And yes, mealtimes that involve only other potential colleagues is where you can glean a bunch of very good information about the good, bad and the ugly, not to mention see if you think you fit in (or not) with the culture there.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 11-24-2015 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search