U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM

43,607 posts, read 52,818,062 times

Advertisements

I just finished giving a candidate a tour of one of our facilities. He just came from an interview lunch with another some other of my partners and now one of our HR/recruiting people is taking him to different places.

And it made me think about way back when I was doing interviews.

I decided I don't really like eating during an interview.

When did that become a thing?

We fly people out, put them in hotels, take 'em up to corporate for meet and greets, interviews, then force them to eat with a bunch of strangers at some fancy pants restaurant (where everyone else eats, drinks, and gets merry, but they are forced to be serious and not imbibe). I would HATE that. I don't like eating with strangers to begin with, but to be under the microscope to begin with and then tossed into this weird social situation...

But almost every place in our niche industry does this.

What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:56 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,756,789 times
I had one interview that was a meal, and I was stuck on the inside of the booth squeezed in next to another guy, while two others across from me bombarded me with questions. They were taking turns, so they got to eat. I never touched my plate and felt silly asking for a box.

They had flown me from ATL to SEA and back in the same day, so by the time the interview was over, I was starving. Thank goodness I had a little time to grab a bite before my return flight.

That was also the longest day I have ever had. I flew out of ATL on a 6am and didn't get back til 4am, wearing heels and a suit with Spanx underneath the entire time.

I learned a lot of lessons on that day.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:07 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,691,862 times
My second interview for my current job was over a dinner. I thought I would hate it, but it actually helped me learn more about the people I would be working with. There was far more small talk and it was much more relaxed than sitting in a conference room and staring at each other. It helped me learn more about the people I would be working with and ultimately sold me on the job and the company.

However, it was 95% a conversation and not my soon to be boss firing questions at me. If it were the latter, that would be rather unnerving.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:09 PM

149 posts, read 99,696 times
I'm not in the industry where anything is fancy which I guess is lucky. I have serious food allergies so my options would be to refuse to eat anything and come across as a someone who won't mesh with other employees, make multiple inquiries with the chef and ask for dish alterations and special handling of my food which would make me look either overly demanding or conversely needy, or my last option would be to cross my fingers and hope they have a stretcher nearby.

Even without the added pressures of dietary concerns I would prefer to just sit someplace quiet where I can talk to and hear those I am meeting with.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:11 PM

43,607 posts, read 52,818,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
My second interview for my current job was over a dinner. I thought I would hate it, but it actually helped me learn more about the people I would be working with. There was far more small talk and it was much more relaxed than sitting in a conference room and staring at each other. It helped me learn more about the people I would be working with and ultimately sold me on the job and the company.

However, it was 95% a conversation and not my soon to be boss firing questions at me. If it were the latter, that would be rather unnerving.
I think the same thing, but how about over drinks or coffee?
Why do I have to worry about dribbling sauce down my suit?

Old 11-23-2015, 01:14 PM

2,150 posts, read 2,691,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think the same thing, but how about over drinks or coffee?
Why do I have to worry about dribbling sauce down my suit?
There's more of a defined rhythm and timing with a meal. I've had Starbucks interviews and think they are as bad as regular interviews. The odd formality of a normal interview in an informal setting. It's the worst of both worlds.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM

5,105 posts, read 5,421,985 times
Here, interviews typically stretch over several hours and most times through the lunch hour(s) depending upon schedules. We feel it's only considerate to provide candidates with a meal while they are here.

And trust me, I hear groans from most when they're scheduled for the lunch interview. It's awkward for them as well the candidate.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:35 PM

12,211 posts, read 10,429,713 times
One of the best interviews I've done was a lunch with the hiring manager and a fellow employee, followed by the real interview. It was nice because at lunch it was very laid back we just had small talk. They even said things like, are you getting nervous to meet the big scary interviewers?? oh wait, that's us! I got the job and they later said it's just a way to lighten the mood and warm you up so they can see the real you at the actual interview.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:02 PM

4,681 posts, read 2,309,678 times
I'm a vegetarian so it would probably be a bit more difficult for me. Try telling that to a hiring manager and watch their jaw drop. They just can't comprehend it and realize that not everyone is the same...lol

Old 11-23-2015, 05:15 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,417,290 times
Eh, I wouldn't mind. Free food. You DO have to worry about proper etiquette (depending on the poshness of the place) as well as the right answers, though, so it's a LITTLE more stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search