Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:51 AM

932 posts, read 899,645 times

Advertisements

Lets say a person was wrongfully terminated from their last job and filed a personally lawsuit and a big class action lawsuit against their job with which over 4000k people have joined. They also won their unemployment appeal. The person was terminated while out on FMLA and the job(employer) wanted the employee to come back to work before they approved FMLA 7 week absence was up but since the person did not come back before the 7 week approved FMLA they were fired which resulted in lawsuits (pending) against he employer and company

The person is now searching for a job. During interview or on the application the question comes up, why did you leave your last job/explain/ etc? It obvious they will have to say that they were terminated which will NOT look good

What would a person say as not to look like they are sue happy or whatever and that the termination was no fault of them? What is the best way to explain this situation to the potential employer? Should the the person even bring up they have a lawsuit against the previous employer from their wrongful actions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 AM

298 posts, read 270,995 times
why would you ever mention that you were terminated? Use another reason you left the job. Seriously how old are? Never say you were fired. If you can get a reference from there that's all you need. Now if the employers google your name and you are in the papers, that's another issue.Even then I would not let that discourage you.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
No, never, nada, nicht! You say nothing about any of this ever. No matter how honest you feel you should be it will hurt you in the long run.
You also don't need to tell them that you are on UI. Don't give them any reason to think a negative thought.
You left your position ''seeking professional growth'' and that is it.
You are ''taking time off now to be with family'' and that is it.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Just think about it. If you were a boss hiring a new person, would you like to take on someone that sued their last employer?

Old 11-24-2015, 01:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Interviewer: "What was the reason you left your last employer?"

You (adhering to your ethics of not lying): "I was out on FMLA and they were unable to hold the position. I was granted unemployment."

I know it's hard to not sound evasive when asked the direct question (which comes up a lot) and as others have posted in the many "old employer didn't back my fake story for not working, what do I do now" or similar topics, lying seems to somehow find it's way back to your perspective employer especially over something as easy to verify as this. You don't need to give them a whole lot, but deception isn't hat hard to discover if they care to look. I caution everyone when told to be deceptive or outright lie, those giving you that advice won't be standing beside you paying your rent or food because your still unemployed.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Lets say a person was wrongfully terminated from their last job and filed a personally lawsuit and a big class action lawsuit against their job with which over 4000k people have joined. They also won their unemployment appeal. The person was terminated while out on FMLA and the job(employer) wanted the employee to come back to work before they approved FMLA 7 week absence was up but since the person did not come back before the 7 week approved FMLA they were fired which resulted in lawsuits (pending) against he employer and company

The person is now searching for a job. During interview or on the application the question comes up, why did you leave your last job/explain/ etc? It obvious they will have to say that they were terminated which will NOT look good

What would a person say as not to look like they are sue happy or whatever and that the termination was no fault of them? What is the best way to explain this situation to the potential employer? Should the the person even bring up they have a lawsuit against the previous employer from their wrongful actions?

oh wow- DO NOT SAY ANYTHING about the lawsuit.. seriously.. It's just going to be a big red flag for the potential employer (no matter how right you are legally). If they ask- you can say you're looking for new opportunities because the last job "wasn't a good fit"; "didn't have good work life balance", "didn't have career advancement" or whatever you want to say.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:53 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Interviewer: "What was the reason you left your last employer?"

You (adhering to your ethics of not lying): "I was out on FMLA and they were unable to hold the position. I was granted unemployment."

I know it's hard to not sound evasive when asked the direct question (which comes up a lot) and as others have posted in the many "old employer didn't back my fake story for not working, what do I do now" or similar topics, lying seems to somehow find it's way back to your perspective employer especially over something as easy to verify as this. You don't need to give them a whole lot, but deception isn't hat hard to discover if they care to look. I caution everyone when told to be deceptive or outright lie, those giving you that advice won't be standing beside you paying your rent or food because your still unemployed.
Oh, I really like that! No deception and explains the situation without going into unnecessary detail.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:03 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Just say that you quit or were laid off, then get someone who was not your old boss to be your reference. A coworker that you got along with is fine.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 PM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
Holy fart go right to jail do not pass go or collect $200. That's tough news.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 PM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Thanks for the good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search