U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-24-2015, 03:48 PM
 
Location: The Windy City
5,300 posts, read 3,299,778 times
Reputation: 4509

Advertisements

Let's say you are applying to three jobs.

Job 1: Your top choice.
Job 2: 2nd choice
Job 3: 3rd choice

If job 3 calls you and sets up an interview, then agrees to hire you, and you accept the position... But job 2 or 1 calls you to set up an interview a day or two after you've accepted the position (or even a week after).

1. Should you tell them at the interview that you have an offer in hand from job 3, but that you would prefer to work for their company?

2. Also, let's say that job 1 or 2 agrees to hire you. Is it acceptable to turn down job 3 after you've already accepted?

3. Lastly, is it acceptable to ask for time to decide when offered a job? How much time should you ask for ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Status: "Funny. Like, a clown." (set 29 days ago)
 
1,076 posts, read 645,454 times
Reputation: 2267
Always be on the come-up.
Get a sheet of paper. Write the 3 jobs down. Columns for 1. Pay 2. Commute cost 3. Benefits 4. Perks 5. Do u think you will like the people 5. Advancement Potential
Then fill it out, take some time, sleep on it, decide what.s most important to you of the above and then make ur decision. I would also do a gut check for each job and trust that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2015, 02:01 PM
 
580 posts, read 436,286 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Let's say you are applying to three jobs.

Job 1: Your top choice.
Job 2: 2nd choice
Job 3: 3rd choice

If job 3 calls you and sets up an interview, then agrees to hire you, and you accept the position... But job 2 or 1 calls you to set up an interview a day or two after you've accepted the position (or even a week after).

1. Should you tell them at the interview that you have an offer in hand from job 3, but that you would prefer to work for their company?

2. Also, let's say that job 1 or 2 agrees to hire you. Is it acceptable to turn down job 3 after you've already accepted?

3. Lastly, is it acceptable to ask for time to decide when offered a job? How much time should you ask for ?
I have been in this situation a few months ago. I basically apologized to job 2 and told them that I am going with job 1, and here it is seven months later, and I know I have made the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top