U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 12:06 AM

9 posts, read 7,640 times

Advertisements

After college I worked in Asia in technology for about 4 years and now I am back in the US looking for technology jobs. Is my foreign country working experience considered valid? I have this concern because 1), I never paid US taxes. 2), The tech companies I worked for are small companies, which are hard for my future US company to verify/ background check.

So should I list my 4 years experience on my resume? will they be considered valid here in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 04:01 AM

8,655 posts, read 19,115,035 times
You not paying US taxes doesn't mean a darn thing to a prospective employer, but Uncle Sam will be quite interested if you're US citizen and didn't file your foreign income. Even if you made below x amount, you are still required to file taxes.

As for your work experience, it depends on whether or not they want to take the time to call overseas and talk to someone. If you did well in a face to face interview, we'd take the time to contact your old employer, in writing and by phone, to verify your work.

Yes, put in on your resume...how else are you going to explain a 4 yr gap. That 4 yr gap would a negative in my book

Old 11-25-2015, 05:48 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,679,635 times
Yes, of course it's valid and you should include it on your resume.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,340,127 times
experience is experience, regardless of the country (though it may be discounted if the employer doesn't regard that area very highly). Certainly include it in your number of years.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:16 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,458,066 times
Definitely include it. It's experience. Having four years of gainful employment in your field is preferable to having a big gap (or no experience listed? would that be your alternative?). If you did leave a gap and they asked about it, they would be very confused when you told them you were working. It would seem suspect that you didn't include it.

I'm not sure why the small tech companies would be hard to verify unless they no longer exist. You have provided contact information or enough information for them to find the company to verify your employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or