U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 04:46 PM

12,238 posts, read 6,956,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I currently work in retail after looking for work for awhile and am still looking for something better. If I list this retail job as my current position while applying to more professional jobs will I be looked down upon for working a job that basically anyone can get? Should I just leave it off? (there would be a 1 year unemployment gap if I do).
Choosing to be employed instead of sitting home or drawing unemployment, regardless of position, would be a plus for me when looking at the CV of a potential employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 AM

26,304 posts, read 12,855,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Why would you want to work for a place that looks down their noses at that?
I would suggest re-reading the OP. the poster doesn't want a 1 year gap in their employment.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM

1,526 posts, read 849,255 times
Why do you think retail is a job that has to be to be look down on? Do you mean less credentials? Someone can be a world top lawyer but if they look down on your job, their calibre is no better. If a company has nose down attitude, its a blessing to be disqualified. Unless you're sure the position you got is a high position, you'll most likely be treated lowly by the management.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:09 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,140,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I would suggest re-reading the OP. the poster doesn't want a 1 year gap in their employment.
I would suggest that not leaving a one year gap is a viable option while asking what I asked of the OP. Stick your nose back in the Cracked magazines you've posted you read "lots" of.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:22 PM

5,034 posts, read 3,218,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I currently work in retail after looking for work for awhile and am still looking for something better. If I list this retail job as my current position while applying to more professional jobs will I be looked down upon for working a job that basically anyone can get? Should I just leave it off? (there would be a 1 year unemployment gap if I do).

Frankly this would show you're a great candidate.

retail workers are the punching bags for the upper level low lifes who don't have thew balls to stand up for themselves and tell the boss what they truly feel. We take ccrap they'd NEVER dare to have said to theeir parents or boss, because they can they do so.

That you didn't end up killing them, shows your tolerance level.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:35 PM

11,085 posts, read 4,872,006 times
No way.

Retail work is brutal, from what I've heard and seen as a customer. Anyone who survives that (without tearing rude customers a new one) would have my respect. And I've never even worked retail. A hiring manager who has, would probably be even more inclined to look at you favorably.

And anything is better than a year long gap.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:18 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,455,082 times
I would not leave it off. And I would play up the skills you gained in retail. Think about what skills are needed in the jobs to which you are applying, and play those up in your cover letter and/or resume (if you use bulleted skills/duties underneath your job listing). Being employed says something all by itself, but playing up your skills is even better.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:00 PM

1,077 posts, read 647,592 times
Always have an iron clad excuse for any gaps in jobs.
You were care-taking a (parent, sister, cousin etc...). It works like a charm because it stops any further questioning and makes you look like a stand-up kinda girl / guy. Use this method if you decide to leave the retail off the resume. It works - trust me... Plus throw in some community center or online classes you took (or didn.t).

Old 12-03-2015, 06:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
No way.

Retail work is brutal, from what I've heard and seen as a customer. Anyone who survives that (without tearing rude customers a new one) would have my respect. And I've never even worked retail. A hiring manager who has, would probably be even more inclined to look at you favorably.

And anything is better than a year long gap.
It can get crazy but I haven't had any terrible customers yet. Maybe because I've been here for about a month. I definitely can't do this long term for though.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,858,791 times
I work retail currently. I chose that over unemployment again. It would show you're a hard worker and you're willing yo do what it takes to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or