U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 710,955 times

Advertisements

I understand that this is supposed to bolster the job applicant's confidence, but let's be honest
.. When you're interviewing for a job, you're not the one in a position of power. Not unless you're some extremely sought-after individual, which 99% of people aren't. Most of us are average people who have to put in a lot of effort to make an employer choose to hire us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 08:10 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
No your not. However you do have the power to say no. I have walked into many interviews and known it was the right company or dynamic for me. I look very heavily on company culture, benefits, and management style, more than money. If they aren't there, I'm not taking the job.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,777 posts, read 54,424,430 times
It can work both ways, and I would not put the percentage at 99. I have passed up a couple of job offers in the past, after learning more about them in the interviews and being at the work site. I suppose if you are out of work and getting desperate you have very little choice, but if you already have a good job and are looking for something better, you have as much power as the employers.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:56 PM

5,339 posts, read 8,036,437 times
Turn the tables on the interviewer. Ask intelligent questions about the company, benefits, and exactly what your job description would be should you choose to come on board.

The interviewer won't be expecting this and you will take him/her by surprise. Then you will be more in control of the interview, and not just sitting in your chair meekly awaiting questions from the interviewer.

My favorite phrase to use during interviews is, "Explain how (or why, when, etc) _______________if I choose to come on board."

Old 11-27-2015, 02:29 PM

580 posts, read 436,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
No your not. However you do have the power to say no. I have walked into many interviews and known it was the right company or dynamic for me. I look very heavily on company culture, benefits, and management style, more than money. If they aren't there, I'm not taking the job.
^^^This^^^

Old 11-28-2015, 04:52 PM

298 posts, read 204,474 times
No. You are not interviewing them. You are asking questions for a quarter of the time that they are interviewing you.Asking questions for 5 minutes does not mean you are interviewing them. You are assessing if you will take a job IF they make an offer. But it's up to THEM to make an OFFER. You do not make an offer to work for them. They make one to you to come and work for them.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:04 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,334,824 times
yes this is true; it can't be just about the people that are average or below. I say this in every interview if go on -because for one, it is true for me; and two - if they don't feel that way i don't want to work from them! Every applicant has a choice of who they want to work for - this is why this is a good attitude to have. You don't have to take the job simply because it's offered.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:05 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,334,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
No. You are not interviewing them. You are asking questions for a quarter of the time that they are interviewing you.Asking questions for 5 minutes does not mean you are interviewing them. You are assessing if you will take a job IF they make an offer. But it's up to THEM to make an OFFER. You do not make an offer to work for them. They make one to you to come and work for them.
it's not the literal sense that yo are interviewing them; it's in the sense that you have a decision to take the job or not; or take the job with them over another company.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:11 PM

5,135 posts, read 2,599,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
I understand that this is supposed to bolster the job applicant's confidence, but let's be honest
.. When you're interviewing for a job, you're not the one in a position of power. Not unless you're some extremely sought-after individual, which 99% of people aren't. Most of us are average people who have to put in a lot of effort to make an employer choose to hire us.
You don't have to remain average. There are many things a person can do to put themselves on a company's radar. Anybody can be a hard worker. In order to separate yourself from everyone else, you need work smart. Be creative.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:24 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,139,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
I have interviewed companies where I took just as much time to ask questions as they did of me. Interestingly enough in almost case where I did interview them, they made an offer to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or