Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 08:29 AM

102 posts, read 117,029 times

Advertisements

I need a job and am willing to move anywhere. I occasionally receive emails from recruiters, but have been unable to verify if they are legitimate. So far, none of them have gotten back to me after I respond to their emails. While I am willing to move anywhere, it would need to be somewhere with public transportation. I am thinking Chicago would be a good place for me, or D.C. I have a Bachelor of Science in Public Health. That should qualify me for many support roles in hospitals. I really want to work with clinical trials, research, or even as a lab tech. There are also entry level business jobs that require any degree, but no experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 10,503 times
What sort of work experience do you have? Do you want to work in the private sector, non-profit, or the government? If you settle on DC, you should take a look at NIH.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,496,982 times
Quote:
I have a Bachelor of Science in Public Health. That should qualify me for many support roles in hospitals.
outside of secretary/assistant/office, most likely not. healthcare is too regulated. without all the certifications, you won't qualify for most of the work

you could try private clinical trial companies or research division if hospital has it

Old 11-27-2015, 07:49 PM

856 posts, read 1,047,478 times
Exclamation Job Recruiters or HH's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiewhit View Post
I have a Bachelor of Science in Public Health. That should qualify me for many support roles in hospitals.
Jessie,

1. Where have you ever seen such a 'role'?

Thirty years of hospital recruiting and I've never heard of such a thing.

Top Person at Hospital: Administrator/President/CEO

2nd Top Person at Hospital: Assistant/Associate Administrator/VP/VP Nursing Services/VP Ancillary Services

Department Managers: Manager of [Department]/[Department] Administrator

That's it, Baby. Everyone else is a department employee. There are no 'support roles'.

And even if there were, someone from another hospital would be hired for such a position over someone with no hospital experience.

2. P.S. You are not headhunter material; please don't ask me why.

You will want to focus on either finding a[n agency] 'recruiter' who has reason to rep you or finding your own job.

Just having a degree does not necessarily make you recruiting material (unless you have a degree in Physical Therapy or Actuarial Science, for example).

When presenting yourself in the public domain and endeavoring to get the attention of a recruiter or headhunter, you ought to be including in your post what makes you a 'high value' professional for whom an employer would be willing to pay a ($20K - $30K) recruiting fee.

Nothing you have said suggests you are recruiting material and in fact, a couple of things you have said are red flags to headhunters.

You will probably have to rely on your own wits to get that next job.

Don't forget to use Google and/or LinkedIn to find out who manages a department in a company that interests you.

Paul.......

Old 12-01-2015, 05:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,413,815 times
Op I read some of your other posts.

It sounds like this job search thing is brand new to you and you could use some tips on everything from putting your resume together and how to conduct yourself professionally.

I would bet your local unemployment office could point you to free resources for the above.
Another option would be to sign up at an employment agency.

Just be honest and explain this is all new to you.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:28 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,413,815 times
One more thing (I'm a recruiter)

If you hear about any temp or contract jobs: many times those jobs can become permanent/long term. It's " try it before you buy it" for employers.
Too many people don't understand that and pass up great opportunities.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:21 PM

I have experience in customer service, marketing, research and as an administrative assistant. I am looking for an entry level position, not necessarily in Public Health. I am very interested in working with clinical trials, and have reached out to someone who works in that industry to see if they have an tips. I'm not afraid to say that I want a career that is not answering the phones or making cold calls, or getting coffee, and I'm willing to move to accomplish that goal. I didn't realize it cost up to 30k to use a recruiter. Finishing my degree can open doors, just not in my city.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:32 PM

856 posts, read 1,047,478 times
Exclamation Job Recruiters or HH's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiewhit View Post
I didn't realize it cost up to 30k to use a recruiter.

Jessie.....

With regard to what you said, above:

Recruitment fees are approximately 30% to 25% of the first year's salary.

It would cost a client "30k" if the person they are hiring is being paid $100K a year to start.

$50K - $75K++ fees are not uncommon, depending on the salary.

So at, for example, a salary of $50K, the fee, based on 25%, would be $12,500 less discounts, if any.

You are clear the hiring company pays this fee, yes?

Applicants stopped paying employment agency fees long ago.

Paul............

Old 12-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Thank you for correcting me Paul!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search