U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2015, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Upper Darby, PA
403 posts, read 315,791 times
Reputation: 150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
I could use the travel excuse and the sickness excuse.

Also, I could use the excuse that I went to school. But what happens if they ask for a letter from the school? Thatís the problem.



First, Iím not an ex con. 2nd, I got a college degree from a good, recognizable school. The problem with using non-profit agencies to help those with criminal records get a job is that the jobs are mainly low end, menial jobs. Theyre not corporate jobs. I donít want to get stuck making $10 an hour at a fast food joint while I got a college degree from an excellent school with a high GPA and honors. Thatís would be ridiculous.



The problem with fake companies is if HR asks for your past W-2s to verify your past salary. Thatís the problem.



I know of a friend who used to own a business that went under last year. I can use this on my resume. But the issue is if HR requests W-2s from this company to gauge my potential salary, I wont be able to produce these W-2s since I never worked for that business. But my friend can definitely vouch for me that I ďworkedĒ for him.



You obviously have never worked.



Whats insulting about your justification is your excuse to allow racism and discrimination in the workplace to prevent those who paid their societal debts not get a second chance. Youre some white guy who feels privileged in society to the extent that everything according to you should run perfectly because you feel everyone should be as perfect as you, especially minorities like blacks, hispanics, italians, native Indians, etc.

Let me tell you that there are ex cons who have proven to work harder than those with no crime history. FYI, Iím not an ex con. Never had a felony.

Now youre judging me when you said I got victims. Just to let you know, mr. racist white man, no victims were involved in my past offenses. But of course in your racist mind there mustíve been because youre an evil white man who judges others believing that only whites live perfect lives in a lily white society.

Donít worry about my degree. Worry about the high degree of racism you possess since its an attitude that would get you fired eventually or worse, black listed from working in which case youíd be in my place, posting a similar thread complaining about this discrimination/ racism.

Enjoy your white kingdom while it lasts mr. white man cuz it aint gonna last for long.


My resume had a nice career summary so the gaps were always overlooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2015, 02:09 AM
 
368 posts, read 312,717 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
At the very LEAST, criminal history will be checked. When they ask "have you ever been convicted of a crime", the answer is either Yes or No.. Ex. A misdemeanor charge for something that did not involve an arrest (ex. driving with an expired car registration) and only resulted in $200 fine to the court where the 'official' penalty can be a fine of between $500 - $1,000 and up to 10 days in jail is still going to show up on a background check.

fake employers?? maybe, maybe not since that level of check can be much more variable than criminal history which is the very first thing any background check will look for
Unless you are applying for a US Government job, NOBODY looks back further than 7 years. NOBODY. If your stuff is older than 7 years, DENY it & say NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 AM
 
2,081 posts, read 1,856,920 times
Reputation: 2680
Well...this thread just got serious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2015, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
I could use the travel excuse and the sickness excuse.

Also, I could use the excuse that I went to school. But what happens if they ask for a letter from the school? That’s the problem.
Chances are they won't ask about the school. I never had anyone ask to see my degrees and I had them. But if you are going to fib, it's the chance you have to take I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 12:22 AM
 
28 posts, read 41,757 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsnow View Post
Unless you are applying for a US Government job, NOBODY looks back further than 7 years. NOBODY. If your stuff is older than 7 years, DENY it & say NO.
Thats not true. I remember that I applied for a bank job in 2009. I had a conviction in 1999. They ran a background check and it came up. So the 7 years limit doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Chances are they won't ask about the school. I never had anyone ask to see my degrees and I had them. But if you are going to fib, it's the chance you have to take I'm afraid.
But what exactly should I answer if they ask what type of education are you enrolled in? I got a bachelors. So should I say I went back for my masters? I really want to avoid saying that if possible. What other types of education can you think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 12:35 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,434,966 times
Reputation: 12833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It is all about managing risk. Each lie is a risk and your risk of getting caught depends on what the lie is about. As for morality. After seeing the hiring practices at many companies I don't think there is any ethical obligations to follow the rules in a dysfuntional, unfair, and one-sided game.
No reason to take a very small number of unethical employers and use that as an excuse to commit fraud. If the OP (or anyone) is competent, they'll be just fine obtaining a job based on merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
Thats not true. I remember that I applied for a bank job in 2009. I had a conviction in 1999. They ran a background check and it came up. So the 7 years limit doesn't exist.



But what exactly should I answer if they ask what type of education are you enrolled in? I got a bachelors. So should I say I went back for my masters? I really want to avoid saying that if possible. What other types of education can you think of?
I have a bachelors but I never fibbed about it. Just the fact you have one is a plus. Unless they are looking for a specialized person like an MBA or an engineer I wouldn't lie about that because you wouldn't have the skills. You might say you were working on your Masters but had not yet achieved it. Then give a good reason for dropping out. Lots of people do that for real. If you have some knowledge in a marketable field but no degree, so much the better.

If you don't want to say you were going for a Masters, you can say you attended some kind of trade school. There are tons of them around. They advertise on TV all the time.

Also keep in mind that sometimes a person can sell themselves without a bunch of degrees or stories. I used to assist my supervisor in hiring people for entry level jobs. Those with the best backgrounds didn't always get hired. Sometimes we took a chance on people who presented themselves the best. If we had a hunch someone would work out better than the rest, we hired them. Most of the time we were right.

We wouldn't have necessarily ruled out someone with a conviction that far back if they looked good today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 05:04 PM
 
28 posts, read 41,757 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You might say you were working on your Masters but had not yet achieved it. Then give a good reason for dropping out. Lots of people do that for real.

If you don't want to say you were going for a Masters, you can say you attended some kind of trade school.
Hi minervah.. You provided me with 2 very good ideas to put on my resume... 1) attending a Masters program I later dropped out from and, 2) attending a trade school.

But I still have the great option of putting down as my last employer, a hardware store. I never worked there. The business failed this year but the owner is a very good friend who can back me up as a reference in case HR calls him.

My questions to you are:

1) Which is best to cover the the last 3 year's gap? The hardware store, dropping out of a Masters program or attending a trade school?

2) If you think I should put down the hardware store as my last employer and HR asks for W-2s from there, what should I say? Keep in mind I haven't worked for 3 years. But I put the hardware down as my last employer as if I "worked" there for 3 years, even though I never worked there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
Hi minervah.. You provided me with 2 very good ideas to put on my resume... 1) attending a Masters program I later dropped out from and, 2) attending a trade school.

But I still have the great option of putting down as my last employer, a hardware store. I never worked there. The business failed this year but the owner is a very good friend who can back me up as a reference in case HR calls him.

My questions to you are:

1) Which is best to cover the the last 3 year's gap? The hardware store, dropping out of a Masters program or attending a trade school?

2) If you think I should put down the hardware store as my last employer and HR asks for W-2s from there, what should I say? Keep in mind I haven't worked for 3 years. But I put the hardware down as my last employer as if I "worked" there for 3 years, even though I never worked there.
Well, as much as I don't like to tell someone to fib, I suppose if your friend who owns the hardware store would back you up, I would both since you really did drop out of the Masters program and it would cover more time. Just be sure you have a good reason for for dropping out of school because they might want to know the reason why you didn't finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 03:48 AM
 
28 posts, read 41,757 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, as much as I don't like to tell someone to fib, I suppose if your friend who owns the hardware store would back you up, I would both since you really did drop out of the Masters program and it would cover more time. Just be sure you have a good reason for for dropping out of school because they might want to know the reason why you didn't finish.
Hi Minervah. Ok I see. So I should use both excuses. Out of curiosity, if you were me, what reasons would you tell HR as to why you "dropped" out of a Masters program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top