U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:17 AM

8,798 posts, read 13,288,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
Yup as long as you use a resume detailing skills and experience the gaps will be overlooked.
Yea right. I had an HR bimbo grill me about a 6 month gap over 8 years ago when I graduated college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:49 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
Not true, I was unemployed for 11 months and still was able to find a full-time job with Benefits
Nice, very nice. Obviously I hope to god I do not reach the 11 month unemployment gap (interview next week, fingers crossed) but I am happy it worked out and more than a little amazed that the 11 month gap did not scream "DAMAGED GOODS" to the prospective employer.

My general experience has thus far been pretty poor when you have black holes on the resume, but more power to you if you are able to find good work in spite of the hole.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:33 PM

403 posts, read 315,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Yea right. I had an HR bimbo grill me about a 6 month gap over 8 years ago when I graduated college.
I would have ended the interview if someone grilled me about something almost 10 years ago.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Nice, very nice. Obviously I hope to god I do not reach the 11 month unemployment gap (interview next week, fingers crossed) but I am happy it worked out and more than a little amazed that the 11 month gap did not scream "DAMAGED GOODS" to the prospective employer.

My general experience has thus far been pretty poor when you have black holes on the resume, but more power to you if you are able to find good work in spite of the hole.
In all honesty I think it was 11 months because I was not willing to switch fields and wanted the same type of job. I know now if I was ever unemployed again I have to be open to new challenges and not wait around for the same type of job to open up. So I was just very lucky to find something after being unemployed that long.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:01 PM

4,656 posts, read 2,291,550 times
Quote:
What was your answer? I'm curious as to what the acceptable answer is to these HR dolts. I left my PT job on good terms when I graduated, and when the application asks why I just put down "Graduated college." I hope that doesn't come under too much scrutiny, but I eventually found something a few months after that. If they keep insisting on my gap, I'll just be honest and say that there was nothing but sales jobs in my area at the time, and I only wanted positions which had more long-term stability.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:06 AM

8,798 posts, read 13,288,378 times
I just kind of rolled my eyes with exasperation and explained it was tough getting a first job after college but honestly I wanted to tell her to F off. As everyone knows HR is #1 of my least respected professions below used car salemen, lawyers, politicians, and hookers.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I just kind of rolled my eyes with exasperation and explained it was tough getting a first job after college but honestly I wanted to tell her to F off. As everyone knows HR is #1 of my least respected professions below used car salemen, lawyers, politicians, and hookers.
You should have told her that in a pleasant way if you knew you had the skills and background to get another interview. Plus I feel that if someone is grilling you about a gap from years ago then they don't intend on bringing you back for another interview anyway. That's why I would have told her goodbye if I was being grilled about something from years ago because it makes no sense.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:55 PM

848 posts, read 641,578 times
Quote:
You should have told her that in a pleasant way if you knew you had the skills and background to get another interview. Plus I feel that if someone is grilling you about a gap from years ago then they don't intend on bringing you back for another interview anyway. That's why I would have told her goodbye if I was being grilled about something from years ago because it makes no sense.
I agree with you if I had a HR bimbo grill me for a gap that happened years ago that would be the end of the interview. Honestly, I don't think gaps of employment should be held against a job seeker as there may be legitimate reasons for those gaps and that doesn't mean the job seeker is lazy and do not want to work. They were probably trying hard to find something but did not have any luck with their job search in the past few months.

Unfortunately, majority of the companies hold employment gaps against job seekers. Some employers may be forgiving of long employment gaps but most companies aren't forgiving and will grill you to the end about the 6 months to a year you weren't working.

Overall I'm extremely lucky that I didn't have to suffer any employment gaps and would like to keep it that way.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 PM

848 posts, read 641,578 times
Quote:
I think just about everyone hates HR unless you work for HR. If you want everyone in your company to hate your department and hate your existence work for HR. HR does not do anything besides torment job seekers, file hiring paperwork, and conduct new hire orientation were they read of the same slides over and over again. Don't even bother coming to them when you have an issue as they will always side with the manager regardless of what they done. HR is filled with lazy employees that come up with a bunch of foolish policies to justify their existence. Heck the paper pusher and shoe shiner boy does more work than HR and HR reps make high salaries for no reason.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:23 PM

298 posts, read 204,532 times
There are people in life who are not "as lucky" as so and so and who weren't born into a world of connections and privilege. Things happen in life that are often not your fault. You might have had a borderline manager or boss who was very influential. Sometimes it's a coworker who becomes envious and just lives to take you down. I can't think of a better and easier way to do that than give bad references behind someone's back. It's not easy to prove when you are actively interviewing and rushing to find a job. Unless you plant a bug in their office or have your friend pose as a prospective employer and ask for a reference, you really have no way of knowing. Again, to have grounds to sue, you have to prove that their bad reference caused actual damage to your life - that is made you completely unhireable/blackballed.Lawyers don't take on cases they can't win or make money from.If you go to court you will pay more to the lawyer than you actually gain from the lawsuit. Shrewd people who are malicious and give bad refs already know all this. I see nothing wrong with using a reliable coworker, friend or other person who can say good things. And if you are seriously in dire straits, you have to do whatever you must to get an interview and get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search