Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,049,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
I got employment gaps on my resume due to a criminal record that makes it hard for me to find work. Is it possible to cover up these gaps with fake employers? I read somewhere that there are websites that can fabricate fake companies with fake references with callback numbers for a fee.

1) Would this evade the hiring company's HR?

2) Could this work? If not, what could work?

3) If I post these fake companies on sites like LinkedIn, would HR find out?
At the very LEAST, criminal history will be checked. When they ask "have you ever been convicted of a crime", the answer is either Yes or No.. Ex. A misdemeanor charge for something that did not involve an arrest (ex. driving with an expired car registration) and only resulted in $200 fine to the court where the 'official' penalty can be a fine of between $500 - $1,000 and up to 10 days in jail is still going to show up on a background check.

fake employers?? maybe, maybe not since that level of check can be much more variable than criminal history which is the very first thing any background check will look for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 07:35 PM

393 posts, read 357,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The OP is asking whether to commit fraud, and half the respondents here are supportive. Have you people no morality? No integrity?

Unbelievable.
When companies are required to also have morality and integrity then people will probably stop feeling this way.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:45 PM

30,161 posts, read 23,552,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Are you going to house and feed all the honest people who are unable to find a job as a result?

If not,
We already do, as well as those who fake their way through it, get caught, and are now blacklisted. Put your hand down.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:50 PM

6,602 posts, read 5,846,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
When companies are required to also have morality and integrity then people will probably stop feeling this way.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,349,491 times
Quote:
How trite.

When your family and your survival depends on getting a job and the people doing the hiring lie, defraud, and have a dysfunctional hiring process you are justified in doing whatever you need to get a job and survive.

That is like getting invaded and attacked by a hostile force and not fighting back because war is bad.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:02 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,621,917 times
Quote:

Translation: Since the employer has no morals, oftentimes lie, and has no integrity then its not up for discussion what they do. Since they are the ones with the job it is not open for discussion. But the second an applicant behaves in the exact same manner and brings up the low down dirty employer, you can always count on someone trying to shut it down by making the statement "two wrongs don't make a right."

Old 12-23-2015, 07:03 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,621,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post

It's okay for them to not have morals and integrity because the excuse is "they are the ones with the jobs and two wrongs don't make a right."

Old 12-23-2015, 07:30 PM

403 posts, read 470,750 times
You don't need to cover up gaps since the employer will be focused on the skills and experience you bring to the advertise position.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,010,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
Well I already paid my debt to society in full. Theres no reason to allow any discrimination in the hiring process. America is racist enough and unfair. I went to school and graduated with very high marks so I deserve better.

These programs you mention arent geared towards helping people with business degrees get corporate jobs. The jobs that these programs advocate are usually menial ,low paying and not geared to those with business degrees. Its insulting even recommending me this since I graduated in business and sacrificed too much to be given a stupid job as a cashier at burger king. In terms of salary, you do the math.

How is fakimg a reference a huge risk if its set up right?

What is insulting is that you think you deserve anything more than what you already have.
What is insulting is that you boast that *you paid your debt to society* yet here you are asking if it is okay to lie to cover a criminal record.
What is insulting is that you believe someone is racist or discriminatory if they do not want to hire you in a professional position because you have a criminal record.

Let me tell you, not all ex cons can be hired for some positions simply because they cannot legally get the security and other credentials to be able to do the job and those credentials are mandated by Federal Law.

So what exactly have you *sacrificed*? What about your victims, what have they sacrificed?
Where did you get your degree? Who paid for all of that? Why exactly should you be given any more of a chance then any of the other thousands of graduates who are not ex cons?

Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 PM

28 posts, read 52,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I had a friend who had huge gaps in her work history. She told prospective employers on interviews that she took care of an ailing parent for some of the years. She actually got a great job because the guy who hired her had also taken care of an ailing parent for about ten years and had to be away from the work force for that length of time.

Also telling HR you went to school for X amount of years doesn't hurt. They are not going to ask for your grades or records. Even saying you took off some time to travel wouldn't be too far off the track.
I could use the travel excuse and the sickness excuse.

Also, I could use the excuse that I went to school. But what happens if they ask for a letter from the school? That’s the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
. But in the end, we all deserve a chance. The problem is that most employers are NOT like that. The op can find one of those non profits that works with excons to find them work.
First, I’m not an ex con. 2nd, I got a college degree from a good, recognizable school. The problem with using non-profit agencies to help those with criminal records get a job is that the jobs are mainly low end, menial jobs. Theyre not corporate jobs. I don’t want to get stuck making $10 an hour at a fast food joint while I got a college degree from an excellent school with a high GPA and honors. That’s would be ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Fake jobs are no big deal, the background check will get you, though.
The problem with fake companies is if HR asks for your past W-2s to verify your past salary. That’s the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
You can find a real bankrupt company or one that closed business on file and put that on your resume to cover your gap. That way if someone starts digging, they will find a real company out there once upon a time. But fake?..
I know of a friend who used to own a business that went under last year. I can use this on my resume. But the issue is if HR requests W-2s from this company to gauge my potential salary, I wont be able to produce these W-2s since I never worked for that business. But my friend can definitely vouch for me that I “worked” for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
You don't need to cover up gaps since the employer will be focused on the skills and experience you bring to the advertise position.
You obviously have never worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What is insulting is that you think you deserve anything more than what you already have.
What is insulting is that you boast that *you paid your debt to society* yet here you are asking if it is okay to lie to cover a criminal record.

Let me tell you, not all ex cons can be hired for some positions simply because they cannot legally get the security and other credentials to be able to do the job and those credentials are mandated by Federal Law.
Whats insulting about your justification is your excuse to allow racism and discrimination in the workplace to prevent those who paid their societal debts not get a second chance. Youre some white guy who feels privileged in society to the extent that everything according to you should run perfectly because you feel everyone should be as perfect as you, especially minorities like blacks, hispanics, italians, native Indians, etc.

Let me tell you that there are ex cons who have proven to work harder than those with no crime history. FYI, I’m not an ex con. Never had a felony.

Now youre judging me when you said I got victims. Just to let you know, mr. racist white man, no victims were involved in my past offenses. But of course in your racist mind there must’ve been because youre an evil white man who judges others believing that only whites live perfect lives in a lily white society.

Don’t worry about my degree. Worry about the high degree of racism you possess since its an attitude that would get you fired eventually or worse, black listed from working in which case you’d be in my place, posting a similar thread complaining about this discrimination/ racism.

Enjoy your white kingdom while it lasts mr. white man cuz it aint gonna last for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search