Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

I am sorry for your situation, OP. It is absurd that in this nation, people with a criminal record who are trying to better themselves are constantly discriminated against on their job search. Fortunately, President Obama has signed an executive order that bans government agencies from asking job applicants if they have a criminal record.

Obama tells federal agencies to 'ban the box' on federal job applications

I think it should be a federal law that ANY employer should NOT be allowed to ask for an applicant's criminal history. It is disingenuous and does NOT help a former criminal to better themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 04:10 PM

850 posts, read 902,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurusx5 View Post
Lets say I supply HR with pay stubs at a past employer. Lets say i worked at the company for only 2 months but put down on my resume that i worked there for 3 years. Is it possible that HR can find out through info on the pay stubs that i only worked there for 2 months?
If they call but I doubt they will call. My new job asked for my pay stub from the temp agency I worked at for 8 months because the background check company couldn't verify my employment there.

HR only asked for one pay stub and they didn't call the staffing agency. I gave them my most recent pay stub and I was cleared to be hired. Make sure the end date on your resume and application matches your last pay stub date and you should be fine.

Like I said HR is lazy and they most likely won't do any extra snooping.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Sure you can manufacture anything you want and hope you aren't the one they spot check. Once you get a job don't get too comfortable as four years down the road you can be fired on the spot if they find a discrepancy or facts that aren't correct.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Did I miss something? Where did the comment come from about being racist? Towards who? Surprised the term is still used as that has suffered overkill and should be obsolete by now.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:38 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I would get more creative. I had a friend who had huge gaps in her work history. She told prospective employers on interviews that she took care of an ailing parent for some of the years. She got a lot of sympathy for that. It wasn't true but who was going to doubt her? She actually got a great job because the guy who hired her had also taken care of an ailing parent for about ten years and had to be away from the work force for that length of time. So he fell for her story and hired her on the spot.

Also telling HR you went to school for X amount of years doesn't hurt. They are not going to ask for your grades or records. Even saying you took off some time to travel wouldn't be too far off the track.

I would personally stick to things that sounded good but weren't going to get me in trouble if they tried to verify them or couldn't be verified.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:48 PM

298 posts, read 270,929 times
I agree with Minervah above. Fake companies, no. You know why? Because every state has a Department of State and licensing bureau that handles business documents. Businesses have a license and must be on file in their state.Also, a lot of the tax filings would also be there. All of this is online, and anyone can access it- you don't need a background checking company. I can do this from my computer at home, and anyone who decides to be nosy can too. Someone somewhere will decide to check your "fake company". Maybe you will get the job but some jealous coworker or new manager out to prove himself will start digging. Man, you will be fired. You can find a real bankrupt company or one that closed business on file and put that on your resume to cover your gap. That way if someone starts digging, they will find a real company out there once upon a time. But fake? No....that's why I laugh when people pay money to these fake reference companies. Unless the company is going to pay the incorporation fees to the state and create an actual paper trail of a supposedly real company, it's all a sham. These companies take your money and do sch**t for you.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Fake jobs are no big deal, the background check will get you, though.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:59 PM

298 posts, read 270,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Fake jobs are no big deal, the background check will get you, though.
yes, well it will. Criminal convictions, incarceration terms. Sure it will. If the firm checks. Not all companies care about background checks. Some make you fill out the forms, but never really do the check. Then they just sayThere is such a stigma against many types of people: ex cons, long term unemployed, those with bad credit, stay at home mothers, those over 40, those over 50....I can go on and on. But in the end, we all deserve a chance. Unless someone is a serial killer or pedophile, I really feel even an average excon deserves a shot for a new life. The problem is that most employers are NOT like that. The op can find one of those non profits that works with excons to find them work. I don't know how effective they really are. Or op can take a chance and put something believable but not exactly verifiable, and hope they don't actually run a criminal check.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The OP is asking whether to commit fraud, and half the respondents here are supportive. Have you people no morality? No integrity?

Unbelievable.
Are you going to house and feed all the honest people who are unable to find a job as a result?

If not,

Old 12-17-2015, 07:28 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The OP is asking whether to commit fraud, and half the respondents here are supportive. Have you people no morality? No integrity?

Unbelievable.
Not when it comes to companies. They've used up all the good will of workers. People treat you the way you treat them. When companies lie, cheat, abuse , defraud, and make it clear the only morality they have is that which is dictated by the law or financial efficiency, you are not bound to treat them any differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search