U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2015, 12:52 PM
 
204 posts, read 208,114 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Don't believe anybody who says 55K is poverty in NYC (a city of 8 million plus people and the largest city in the US).

Since you are a social worker, think about that, and process that statement for a second.
Thank you for being the voice of reason. 55k is not a lot, but it's by no means poverty, especially if we budget correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 PM
 
17 posts, read 17,157 times
Reputation: 28
I would second that. Once your boyfriend gets a job you will be fine financially, until that point you can definitely survive on $50-55k, especially with your savings. You won't be eating out every night, but as long as you find an appropriately priced apartment you can make ends meet.

I have no suggestions for jobs, but would suggest you consider Queens in your apartment hunt as well. I'm in a large 2 bedroom half a block from the 7 train in Sunnyside (neighborhood west of Woodside) that is less than your budget. I have a few friends paying between $1700-1900 for big one-bedrooms in Astoria. Both of these neighborhoods you can be in midtown Manhattan in 20-25 minutes, about the same commute if you were renting in West Harlem. This would also make the commute to Job 1 in Jamaica more doable. I moved here for school this past summer and was set on Manhattan, but found what I could get for my money much more appealing in Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 02:23 PM
 
204 posts, read 208,114 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestercat19 View Post
I would second that. Once your boyfriend gets a job you will be fine financially, until that point you can definitely survive on $50-55k, especially with your savings. You won't be eating out every night, but as long as you find an appropriately priced apartment you can make ends meet.

I have no suggestions for jobs, but would suggest you consider Queens in your apartment hunt as well. I'm in a large 2 bedroom half a block from the 7 train in Sunnyside (neighborhood west of Woodside) that is less than your budget. I have a few friends paying between $1700-1900 for big one-bedrooms in Astoria. Both of these neighborhoods you can be in midtown Manhattan in 20-25 minutes, about the same commute if you were renting in West Harlem. This would also make the commute to Job 1 in Jamaica more doable. I moved here for school this past summer and was set on Manhattan, but found what I could get for my money much more appealing in Queens.
We'll be staying in the Woodside apartment for 6 weeks, and I'm excited to see what it's like. Most likely, we'll follow your suggestion of staying somewhere in Queens until we can get our own place. Airbnb is great and truly affordable with what we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 06:04 PM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,814,436 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
Thanks for the input. As far as the relationship, while we won't be married, we will be engaged by the time we move. Our relationship is pretty secure.

I'm also the one with the majority of the savings, so yes, I would be able to survive should something happen.
I thought my relationship was pretty secure as well...

...right up until my wife called me up and told me she didn't want to be married any more. After 27 years and two children.

There is no such thing as "will be engaged". You either are or you aren't. And being engaged is far from a true commitment for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 06:38 PM
 
204 posts, read 208,114 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I thought my relationship was pretty secure as well...

...right up until my wife called me up and told me she didn't want to be married any more. After 27 years and two children.

There is no such thing as "will be engaged". You either are or you aren't. And being engaged is far from a true commitment for many people.
Nothing in life is certain. But wow, people on this forum certainly do like to think the worst. When I say we'll be engaged, I mean he has the ring, and it will happen over the holidays. We're not breaking up. I'm sorry that your wife did that, it was a pretty ****ty thing to do to call you and tell you something like that. However, some people can say that they are fairly confident in their relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 07:21 PM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,029 posts, read 3,214,692 times
Reputation: 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post


Job 2: In Midtown, Manhattan - working as the clinical director of a shelter for a large nonprofit agency. Salary is $55k. I would oversee the entire program. The location is ideal since we want to live in Manhattan. I love what this agency does and the people seemed really nice. It will be a tough job, but I'd learn a lot.
Location, location, location....That's why I vote #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 03:11 AM
 
5,248 posts, read 5,171,929 times
Reputation: 6242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I would say pass on all 3. 50 grand a year in NYC is the equivalent of poverty. Plus, why would you want to leave nice, sunny florida for the northeast? Ughhh...
You'll hear this attitude time and again but it simply isn't true. The first five years that I worked full-time I never cleared 50K and somehow my husband and I, who only cleared 50K two of those five years, managed to buy a car, buy a coop, go on multiple vacations. I would hardly call that poverty. Last year was the first year I cleared 50K (hurrah!) and we managed to renovate our kitchen and go to Europe. (And pay for a new transmission. ) The only difference is that OP wants to live in Manhattan, which she might only do for a year, and I live in Brooklyn, which can be just as expensive AS Manhattan, but not where I live, thankfully. Back when I was working in education, all of us made less than 50K the first two years and most of my co-workers lived in the city. (I'm not talking about a hundred years ago either.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
I'm in a situation that most would be lucky to have... I have three job offers and I don't know which to take. I'm relocating from Florida to NYC in January and all the jobs are willing to wait until I will be there to start. I'd love some input and see what you all would do. Obviously you can't make the decision for me and I don't have all the facts since I don't work there yet... but I don't know which offer to officially accept. I'm a social worker.

Job 1: In Jamaica, Queens - working as a clinical supervisor of a nonprofit that provides in-home counseling to at risk youth. Salary is 50k. However, I was informed that I would have the opportunity to advance to the program director position within a few months, which would jump my salary to $72k. The employees here seem wonderful and they offer a lot of training. I felt very comfortable during the interview and they seemed to very transparent about the organization and what it's goals are.

Job 2: In Midtown, Manhattan - working as the clinical director of a shelter for a large nonprofit agency. Salary is $55k. I would oversee the entire program. The location is ideal since we want to live in Manhattan. I love what this agency does and the people seemed really nice. It will be a tough job, but I'd learn a lot.

Job 3: Remote position, office is based in NYC - working as a clinical supervisor for a crisis hot line. Salary is $55k. I could have odd hours at times and work nights. You work from home so while they offer a lot of support via the phone/computer, there is minimal face-to-face contact. The company is growing quickly and it could be a good opportunity.

For all three jobs, I would be taking a pay cut (I make about $62k in Florida.) However, I'd be giving up my car, saving me about $700/month (of course, this will just go towards rent now.)

I'm torn on what job to accept. I've unofficially accepted the first job, but I just don't know if it's the right fit. Yes, the money would be great, but starting out my salary would be just pitiful (not that the other two are that great either.) I've been going back and forth, made a pros/cons list, and I just can't make a decision. My boyfriend is an attorney who will hopefully find a job once we move (he works as an attorney in Florida, but we're waiting for his bar clearance.) That will help financially, since surviving on $50-55k in NYC is not very much. We have about $40k saved which would be used for emergencies only.

Anyway, I know this is a long shot, but I'm curious as to what job you would accept based on the information I provided. Sometimes I wish someone would just tell me what to do lol
Position #1: I would be weary about it. What is it about you vs. the others working for this non-profit would allow you to advance to a better position/higher salary within a few months? I find that a lot of employers feed this line to people. Whether or not this is true---well, guess you wouldn't find out unless you took the position. If you go in with the expectation that it might not be true, because otherwise it sounds like a place you would enjoy working, then there you have it.

Position #2: Is there any room for advancement at this position? It's in Manhattan but who knows where you will end up living in Manhattan---you might not be near that job at all, the train line you live by might be a PITA to connect to another train, etc. The nice part about working in Manhattan, something I miss, is that I used to be able to go out after work with co-workers.

Position #3: I think this would be your easiest one to eliminate based on your preferences. If you want pretty set hours, forget it. If you want face-to-face contact, forget it. If you don't want to sit at home all day because you don't think you'd be productive, which would be the case for me, then nix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 06:49 AM
 
299 posts, read 253,488 times
Reputation: 126
I'm getting my MSW (woo social workers!) and I've never lived in NYC, so maybe my opinion isn't the best you could receive, but I would take the position with the possibility for salary increase

P.S. I know a few people who have made it with 50k in NYC. YOU CAN DO IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM
 
3,611 posts, read 1,558,027 times
Reputation: 2525
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
I'm in a situation that most would be lucky to have... I have three job offers and I don't know which to take. I'm relocating from Florida to NYC in January and all the jobs are willing to wait until I will be there to start. I'd love some input and see what you all would do. Obviously you can't make the decision for me and I don't have all the facts since I don't work there yet... but I don't know which offer to officially accept. I'm a social worker.

Job 1: In Jamaica, Queens - working as a clinical supervisor of a nonprofit that provides in-home counseling to at risk youth. Salary is 50k. However, I was informed that I would have the opportunity to advance to the program director position within a few months, which would jump my salary to $72k. The employees here seem wonderful and they offer a lot of training. I felt very comfortable during the interview and they seemed to very transparent about the organization and what it's goals are.

Job 2: In Midtown, Manhattan - working as the clinical director of a shelter for a large nonprofit agency. Salary is $55k. I would oversee the entire program. The location is ideal since we want to live in Manhattan. I love what this agency does and the people seemed really nice. It will be a tough job, but I'd learn a lot.

Job 3: Remote position, office is based in NYC - working as a clinical supervisor for a crisis hot line. Salary is $55k. I could have odd hours at times and work nights. You work from home so while they offer a lot of support via the phone/computer, there is minimal face-to-face contact. The company is growing quickly and it could be a good opportunity.

For all three jobs, I would be taking a pay cut (I make about $62k in Florida.) However, I'd be giving up my car, saving me about $700/month (of course, this will just go towards rent now.)

I'm torn on what job to accept. I've unofficially accepted the first job, but I just don't know if it's the right fit. Yes, the money would be great, but starting out my salary would be just pitiful (not that the other two are that great either.) I've been going back and forth, made a pros/cons list, and I just can't make a decision. My boyfriend is an attorney who will hopefully find a job once we move (he works as an attorney in Florida, but we're waiting for his bar clearance.) That will help financially, since surviving on $50-55k in NYC is not very much. We have about $40k saved which would be used for emergencies only.

Anyway, I know this is a long shot, but I'm curious as to what job you would accept based on the information I provided. Sometimes I wish someone would just tell me what to do lol
Accept 1 and start working. Based on the work load for the first few weeks, accept 3 also since its remote.

And dont tell the attorney that you are taking both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2015, 04:22 PM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,814,436 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
Nothing in life is certain. But wow, people on this forum certainly do like to think the worst. When I say we'll be engaged, I mean he has the ring, and it will happen over the holidays. We're not breaking up. I'm sorry that your wife did that, it was a pretty ****ty thing to do to call you and tell you something like that. However, some people can say that they are fairly confident in their relationships.
Even though they don't know you, the posters on this thread are mostly concerned for your future, and just want you to be as safe and cautious as possible. Good luck in your move, and thank you for your kind words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top