Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:01 PM

204 posts, read 289,067 times

Advertisements

I'm in a situation that most would be lucky to have... I have three job offers and I don't know which to take. I'm relocating from Florida to NYC in January and all the jobs are willing to wait until I will be there to start. I'd love some input and see what you all would do. Obviously you can't make the decision for me and I don't have all the facts since I don't work there yet... but I don't know which offer to officially accept. I'm a social worker.

Job 1: In Jamaica, Queens - working as a clinical supervisor of a nonprofit that provides in-home counseling to at risk youth. Salary is 50k. However, I was informed that I would have the opportunity to advance to the program director position within a few months, which would jump my salary to $72k. The employees here seem wonderful and they offer a lot of training. I felt very comfortable during the interview and they seemed to very transparent about the organization and what it's goals are.

Job 2: In Midtown, Manhattan - working as the clinical director of a shelter for a large nonprofit agency. Salary is $55k. I would oversee the entire program. The location is ideal since we want to live in Manhattan. I love what this agency does and the people seemed really nice. It will be a tough job, but I'd learn a lot.

Job 3: Remote position, office is based in NYC - working as a clinical supervisor for a crisis hot line. Salary is $55k. I could have odd hours at times and work nights. You work from home so while they offer a lot of support via the phone/computer, there is minimal face-to-face contact. The company is growing quickly and it could be a good opportunity.

For all three jobs, I would be taking a pay cut (I make about $62k in Florida.) However, I'd be giving up my car, saving me about $700/month (of course, this will just go towards rent now.)

I'm torn on what job to accept. I've unofficially accepted the first job, but I just don't know if it's the right fit. Yes, the money would be great, but starting out my salary would be just pitiful (not that the other two are that great either.) I've been going back and forth, made a pros/cons list, and I just can't make a decision. My boyfriend is an attorney who will hopefully find a job once we move (he works as an attorney in Florida, but we're waiting for his bar clearance.) That will help financially, since surviving on $50-55k in NYC is not very much. We have about $40k saved which would be used for emergencies only.

Anyway, I know this is a long shot, but I'm curious as to what job you would accept based on the information I provided. Sometimes I wish someone would just tell me what to do lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 PM

7,910 posts, read 4,898,378 times
I would say pass on all 3. 50 grand a year in NYC is the equivalent of poverty. Plus, why would you want to leave nice, sunny florida for the northeast? Ughhh...

Old 11-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I would say pass on all 3. 50 grand a year in NYC is the equivalent of poverty. Plus, why would you want to leave nice, sunny florida for the northeast? Ughhh...
I appreciate the response, although it was not what I was looking for. 50k is not a lot, I'm also a social worker and will never make it rich in this field. I want to leave Florida because it's time for a change. Now, if you're going to take the time to respond, please answer the question I asked about what job would be more appealing. For most people, it would probably be none, and that's fair.. this field isn't for everyone.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:23 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,462,357 times
Of the 2 #1 is the best. Living in Manhattan on the offered salaries isn't realistic.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:40 PM

836 posts, read 1,027,584 times
Job #2. Challenging job, but job growth opportunity is rewarding.

Sn: I moved to NYC with a $40k job and $0 in savings. You will be fine. As for living in Manhattan, I would highly recommend west Harlem. I lived on 141st & Broadway cross section, and it was a very safe, affordable area, right near the 1 train that can take you to midtown (if you choose job #2). Name of the realty company was Bohemia Realty Group and highly recommend.

Since you likely won't qualify upfront without a cosigner, I'd say look on Craigslist for random roomies who can add to the salary and credit score requirements. When your boyfriend passes bar clearance and can start helping you out eventually, maybe you two can break off and get your own place. But until then, I'd def look for maybe another couple to live with. Good luck and congrats on the offers!

Old 11-30-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Job #2. Challenging job, but job growth opportunity is rewarding.

Sn: I moved to NYC with a $40k job and $0 in savings. You will be fine. As for living in Manhattan, I would highly recommend west Harlem. I lived on 141st & Broadway cross section, and it was a very safe, affordable area, right near the 1 train that can take you to midtown (if you choose job #2). Name of the realty company was Bohemia Realty Group and highly recommend.

Since you likely won't qualify upfront without a cosigner, I'd say look on Craigslist for random roomies who can add to the salary and credit score requirements. When your boyfriend passes bar clearance and can start helping you out eventually, maybe you two can break off and get your own place. But until then, I'd def look for maybe another couple to live with. Good luck and congrats on the offers!
Thank you! We have an airbnb for the first 6 weeks and will either get another one or try to sublet (so that we can bypass the 40x rent-we'd even pay more upfront if we had to.) I know it's going to take some time to be able to get an apartment, once my boyfriend gets a job, we should be okay. Thank you for the name of the realty company, we'll definitely look into that as well. The closer the move gets, the more excited and anxious I feel, but I'm pretty sure that's normal. It's helpful to hear that people can do it, like yourself.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:53 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,929,945 times
i would take job #1- probably not as pricey as living in manhatten, and there's room fro growth. The job #2 doesn't sound bad if it were just a supervisor, but the director at 55k? Probably a huge headache. And no way on job #3- WFH would be nice, but crummy hours on little pay won't be. good luck

Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i would take job #1- probably not as pricey as living in manhatten, and there's room fro growth. The job #2 doesn't sound bad if it were just a supervisor, but the director at 55k? Probably a huge headache. And no way on job #3- WFH would be nice, but crummy hours on little pay won't be. good luck
Thank you! Although I think I'd like job 2 better, I remember what it was like to work at a large organization... and I remember why I left. Also, the pay is what... $200 more a month with not as much room to grow in regards to salary compared to job 1. With job 1, although it's also a large organization, they only have 1 office in NYC, so it would still feel small, allowing me to really learn and grow with it (since they want to expand.) Plus, the opportunity for the increase in salary is a huge factor and then it would allow me to do what I want as a director (which is what is appealing about the first job.)

My biggest concern with job 1 is the commute. I commute about an hour now each way in Florida, so 45 minutes shouldn't be too bad. I'll also have multiple subway lines to choose from should there be an issue or delay.

Job 3 has it's benefits, but I think I'd feel isolated being alone that much and the hours are not the best. The perk is that it's remote so I could do it anywhere, but I suppose I really need to look at the long-term more than what immediate benefits I would get.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,366,899 times
The remote job. There is a large cost savings due to savings on work attire and savings on commuting(public transportation and/or gas and maintenance on your car) plus savings on lunches.

Then add the time saver of not having to get up earlier to prepare for work. Then the time saver of not having to commute back and forth. This alone is saving you average of 1- 2 hours each day.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:26 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,714,155 times
This is my general attitude on this situation:

On any of these, I would take them as their current face value. It is possible you become a program director within a few months at #1, but it is also possible that they hire someone else internally and you are still at 50K.

Second, I would also only choose to move if you could support yourself on your salary should anything happen with the boyfriend. Sure, right now, you may consider yourselves "almost married" or "his money is my money, my money is his money." But things happen and without the benefit of marriage as protection, you may find yourself in a situation where you don't have his income to help you survive. Can you survive on any of these salaries at the quality of life you want to have?

For me, the most attractive offer might be job #3 given all of the other information available. If I were to break up with the boyfriend and I worked remotely, I could then move to a place where I could afford to live on that salary and still keep the same job. Not saying anything like that happens, but no one ever thinks anything like that will happen and sometimes, it does. It is good to also protect yourself and your interests, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search