Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 10:28 PM

31 posts, read 172,041 times

Advertisements

I don't have a lot of experience with relocating, but I'm being asked for a start date for an out of state job. I think 30 days would be enough time to find a place to stay there, set up shipment of my goods, negotiate early termination of my lease, update mailing address, etc.

Another angle would be to say that I can start in 2 weeks with the caveat that I will need time off to return home set up shipment of my things and tie up loose ends at my old home.

I really have no idea how long this will take as I haven't made an out of state move before. What is a safe number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:35 PM

33,734 posts, read 16,721,651 times
Assuming they can find local candidates, you need to get there as quickly as they could. You can always go home on a weekend to tie up loose ends. My godson works in Ct, moved from Tn, and I went Tn-NJ, using that same M.O. Each of us matched local candidate's timeframes, each of us went back to Tn a few weekends later, to tidy up loose ends.

I assume new employer is closed an extra day at each holiday, which you can use to tidy up loose ends.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:40 PM

888 posts, read 798,730 times
Shoot tell them next week. So done moving over the holiday maybe you'll get 4 days out of it. The other guy was right 30 days is like a month.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:23 PM

455 posts, read 574,369 times
30 days sounds good to me, if they like you I bet you could stretch it more.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,984,400 times
I would call and speak to the manager you'd be reporting to. Explain the relocation situation. Tell him/her that you want to ensure that you are there when s/he needs you. Ask what works best for them. You'll be showing that you're a team player who wants what is best for the company. And you'll be learning about your new manager. They should want you to be happy and start off on the right foot. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,481,924 times
I agree with MainLineMommy. Different companies have different needs and expectations. If you say 30 days, that might kick you out of the running for a job who needed someone yesterday. You could explain what you have to tie up before you are permanently relocated and negotiate how that can work for the company.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 AM

6,556 posts, read 11,179,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theegooch View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with relocating, but I'm being asked for a start date for an out of state job. I think 30 days would be enough time to find a place to stay there, set up shipment of my goods, negotiate early termination of my lease, update mailing address, etc.

Another angle would be to say that I can start in 2 weeks with the caveat that I will need time off to return home set up shipment of my things and tie up loose ends at my old home.

I really have no idea how long this will take as I haven't made an out of state move before. What is a safe number?
If an offer is on the table, I'd discuss it with the hiring manager and see what options exist.

If it's part of the application, I'd put down when you can technically start working for them. Meaning when can you sever ties with your current company.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:11 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,652,557 times
30 day start day upon acceptance of an offer is reasonable for out of state candidates. I'm sure the hiring manager will let you know if this poses an issue.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:24 AM

31 posts, read 172,041 times
Thanks for the responses! The interview process had already been over a month since their recruiter first contacts me and I started the interview process. My final, onsite interview is on 12/7. I'm working hard to be ready for it and also being prepared for my move if things go well.

Since the interview pace has been generous, I have the impression that they are not in a hurry. They value evaluating the candidate and also giving the candidate time to think about their choice to move for the position over filing the position. Given all of that , I think they will able to give me time to get coordinate my move. Now that the clock has advanced, my move would be 3 weeks after the final interview .

Thanks again for he feedback. I've interviewed candidates for my current employer when they needed someone yesterday , haha. So I know what it is like to need to fill a position right away. This seems to be quite the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search