U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:49 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,899 times

Advertisements

...after an interview, after submitting a resume, after going through a 40 page personality inventory, after completing a 20 page internet application, ETC.!

I've done over 20 interviews since June and not even one rejection letter!

I've seen about half of the jobs re-posted after about a month!

SO TIRED of all this ''black hole'', ''twilight zone'' job chasing!

Got a story? Need to vent? Tell us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 05:51 AM

299 posts, read 250,883 times
At least you got interviews. Sometimes people don't even get that.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post
At least you got interviews. Sometimes people don't even get that.
True. And in all my years of unemployment (2009-2012) and "under-employment" (2012-present), this is the most number of interviews I ever got, period.

Which I find even more frustrating. It "seems" hopeful, but pans out to nothing in the long-run.

Guess no one is up to venting or telling their stories here. Probably all too "sick and tired" of dealing with it all.

I know I feel that way.

Anyway, have a wonderful rest of the day, YA'LL!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 AM

549 posts, read 437,937 times
I will vent with you

I can't believe employers are so unprofessional as to not bother to send rejections to candidates they've INTERVIEWED. People take time off work, spend money (well, I did/do) on interview wear, etc., and then to never hear back is the biggest slap in the face. I used to work in HR and I sent rejection emails to every single candidate who even just applied (100-300/month). It literally took just a couple of minutes from my day to BCC everyone and send out a generic email (sorry, no personalization unless you interviewed). So I know, it's not a major hardship on anyone's part, but just pure thoughtlessness as an employer. I guess it's their market, so it doesn't matter too much.

I went through something similar several months ago, and it still bothers me. I dearly wanted that job though.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:18 PM

4,677 posts, read 2,300,154 times
I had an interview early this spring and was told by the HM that everyone who comes in for an interview gets notified. He said, "You take the time out to come here, everyone gets notified regardless. Nobody gets left hanging." He sold that line better than I would have imagined. And guess what? Never heard another word from them. Of course, I got the hint. But if you tell someone you're going to do something...do it!!! What the heck. If you can't follow through on something, then don't tell someone you will when you had no intention of doing it in the first place.

This happens all too frequently at various places to too many people, so I no longer buy the "oh, he/she must have just forgot to notify me" stuff. Don't jerk people around.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:38 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,215,162 times
Always send a thank you note after the interview, unless you don't want the job, and follow up two weeks later. You might get offered the job. Remember HR departments are lazy and don't want to do anything they don't have to, even though a rejection email doesn't take long.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,669,252 times
I was talking to my Dad about this recently and he was shocked that employers don't send out notices even if you are not considered. He just couldn't believe people would be so heartless. It is really obnoxious and sometimes I wish the tables were turned on these people to get a taste of their own dirty medicine. I always follow up and send thank you's. Sometimes it can help, other times they have already made their decision before they dial the phone.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:56 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,113,408 times
On the vent train with you.

I've done tons of interviews and never heard anything back (despite some of the employers telling me that they contact candidates even if they are rejected). I understand the tiny companies without much manpower not getting back with me. Generally I don't even expect it from that type, but the large companies that probably have everything go through that awful form crap like Taleo? No excuse.

I've also noticed more and more employers not following through when they set up a phone interview. I had one the other day that emailed me a couple of minutes after the time we'd set saying she would call me in five minutes. Never got a call, so I emailed her and mentioned that I'd never heard from her and wanted to make sure I didn't somehow miss her call. She emails me late that night and tells me she was in a meeting and lost track of time. WTH? This is a corporate recruiter for a large company, too. How can you be so unprofessional?
I really want the job so I set up another time with her - we'll see if she follows through THIS time. I can only hope that the local hiring manager is not so scatterbrained.

The whole job search/interview thing is just messed up.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:06 AM

Yeah it is. I've begun to feel ''invisible'' after so many times of sitting there in front of people interviewing me who have no idea of how to ''fit'' my skillset to their job mostly because they don't even grasp the skillset of the job that they are interviewing for!!!

Old 12-04-2015, 01:48 PM

120 posts, read 84,061 times
This has happened to me many times in many different situations. Just have to move on and keep on trucking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search