Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,371 times

Advertisements

I've been negotiating for a position with a reputable company since mid October. I had originally interviewed with them back in late June for a NOC position but they went with someone who was a better fit (they actually never let me know about the job one way or the other).

In September I got a call from the tech recruiter who advised me that they had really liked me from the prior interview and were interested in hiring me for a different position that was a better fit (they said) with my skill set. I applied for the job and I was scheduled for an interview. Two days after the interview, the tech recruiter called and made me an offer.

The hourly rate for the position pays $3.00 less an hour than I'm currently making, with annual bonuses and shift differential thrown in the position was still 5k short of what I'm currently making. I turned the job down because of the pay and I wasn't willing to take a paycut even though I hate my current job.

The recruiter came back with additional money earned on-call. I asked for clarification for the OT for the on-call hours. It took them about a month to figure it out and they got back to me this week with the clarification. Unfortunately, I'm still not really clear on how much exactly the on-call pays. I know it's $150 every week that I'm on-call plus OT for the entire 40 hour on-call week but I don't know what the rotation is. Right now they're hiring two people to start with a total of five people to work round the clock plus OT for the entire on-call week. So the on-call rotation with two people would be every other week, but when you add in three more people that changes the rotation to 4 - 5 weeks.

The tech recruiter is insistent on me committing to take the position (he said it will make him look bad if I don't accept it after the senior managers have gone to bat to meet my salary expectations). He's supposed to be emailing/sending me an offer letter to sign.

Shouldn't the exact dollar amount for all the perks be included in the offer letter? Also I know what the base salary is and the position is non-exempt so I'm eligible for OT.

I'm really just worried that the offer letter won't have the dollar amounts spelled out and I can't afford to take a pay cut. Living here in Denver these days is very expensive.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 PM

108 posts, read 157,687 times
Worry doesn't do anything - wait until the offer letter is received and make your decision based on facts in front of you.

It'll be up to you how much "hate" is worth to you.

Are you sure that the shift differential and annual bonus only amounted to $1K, or are you saying the delta between the two was only $1K?

Is the on call OT for the whole 40 hours? If so, that's a pretty penny that should cross that $5K off the list, even if it's just every 5 weeks - or am I not understanding that part correctly?

Old 11-28-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCO94 View Post
Worry doesn't do anything - wait until the offer letter is received and make your decision based on facts in front of you.

It'll be up to you how much "hate" is worth to you.

Are you sure that the shift differential and annual bonus only amounted to $1K, or are you saying the delta between the two was only $1K?

Is the on call OT for the whole 40 hours? If so, that's a pretty penny that should cross that $5K off the list, even if it's just every 5 weeks - or am I not understanding that part correctly?
It was about 5k difference with both.

Yes it's OT for the entire 40 hours and it is more even if the rotation goes to 4 - 5 weeks. It could also just be a rotation for two of us, not sure about that part.

We'll see next week when I get the offer letter. I believe they're going to email it to me.

I hate my current job because there's absolutely nothing to do right now and I works nights. It's difficult to come in every day with no work (we don't have any customers yet). The new job would still be nights but it sounds like a great opportunity; it's an Incident Administrator position so I'd be handling incident issues as well as being the liaison between our company and the customers.

The down side is that my current job I work 12's with 3 - 4 days off every week (which is what keeps me here), the new job would go to 5 8's, which seriously undermines my time off (I like to go to the beach in Florida a lot and airfare is super cheap these days).

I'll let you know what the letter says, I really like the recruiter but don't like the attitude that they'll look bad if I don't accept the offer. People have to do what's best for them...and honestly this is the first time I've ever negotiated hard for a position. My attitude was basically give me a financial reason to leave my current position. I guess they were expecting me to jump at it lol.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
I don't know how things work in your field, but dragging this out since June does not instill me with a feeling of confidence in anything that they might offer.
As for the schedule difference, that would be the deal breaker for me. 5 8s just sucks and always will. Time to enjoy life is more important to me.
Maybe business will pick up at your current job and you will find it more satisfying in the long run.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:46 AM

299 posts, read 350,482 times
Go with your gut. The time factor and recruiter dickering about the specifics are red flags to me. You don't owe the recruiter anything. Their job is to get a good body in to fill the position and keep it cost-effective. If it doesn't feel right, it's not for you. You may be a good fit for their position, but the company may not be a good fit for you.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:36 PM

I don't really have a gut feeling one way or the other. I got the offer letter and it states the position is exempt. I emailed the recruiter and told him I was not accepting the position unless the offer letter stated what we discussed.

This hasn't been going on since June, I interviewed for a different position then. I just wasn't really impressed because I never received anything stating the position had been filled.

The manager I interviewed with then felt that this position was a better fit (not sure if it is or not) and had the recruiter contact me.

I'm also supposed to start on the 14th, but I'm required to give 2 weeks notice so I told the recruiter they may have to work with my schedule that week (I work nights Thursday, Friday and Saturday), so it's plausible that I could work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and half a day on Thursday to accommodate both their start date and my two week notice. It will all depend on what my schedule ends up being.

I'm already planning on working Christmas and the day after at my current job so that no one will have to change their plans and cover my shift.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:45 AM

299 posts, read 350,482 times
I think you do and you aren't paying attention to it. Reading your post, it's very telling how you feel. Anyone who drags on a hiring negotiation this long and doesn't deliver is very telling on what you can expect.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post
I think you do and you aren't paying attention to it. Reading your post, it's very telling how you feel. Anyone who drags on a hiring negotiation this long and doesn't deliver is very telling on what you can expect.
Eh I'm not excited about either job. I'm planning on moving back to Florida in the next 6 months anyway. I just think the way a company handles hiring someone is pretty telling on how the company runs. I also try to give them the benefit of the doubt as I know they're going through growing pains and this is a brand new position they're trying out. It's been more irritating than anything else.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Well, if you're moving in 6 months, why not just stay put?

Old 12-04-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Well, if you're moving in 6 months, why not just stay put?
If they pay me OT for the on-call it's a lot more money. I'm trying to save as much as I can to move and honestly my current job has literally no work. At least I can put my brain back to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search