U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:59 AM

24,839 posts, read 30,070,624 times

Advertisements

The 2015 Top 200 Environmental Firms 1-100

Here's a list of environmental firms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 12:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 760,021 times
army corps of engineers.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,450,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Some really harsh replies here.
Her degree isn't completely useless.

I agree.

Your daughter could work as a geologist. Her major may not have exactly been 'geology' but environmental science involves plenty of geology courses for sure. So when she is looking for jobs, she can type in geologist as well and that should produce more results. As Retire in MB stated, energy usually attracts these kinds of majors but as the industry is down (oil is on my mind), she should consider water/wastewater treatment (inspectors) as Goin' Coastal stated.

jambo101, you said that your daughter has a degree...I'm assuming it is a bachelor's? Because jobs aren't as easy to find now as they were a few years ago in her field, she may have to consider going for her master's degree if that is possible. She will find that a master's is usually required and if not, many years of experience with a bachelor's. Going back to school may be the wisest choice for her, given that she has no experience and got her degree 3 years ago.

I wish her luck!

Old 12-05-2015, 01:49 PM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Thanks, very helpful info.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:57 PM

1,415 posts, read 796,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Her problem is she doesnt know what to do with it ,doesnt know what job categories to apply for.
Shes been out of school for 3 years now and has been working as a non emergency dispatch operator for the local city, she finds the job boring and wants to move on..
Any suggestions to help her out?

1) don't quit her job. She is still quite employable as long as she remains employed

2) environmental consulting firms.

3) state departments of Environment, or Ecology, or Fish and Game, Natural Resources, or Health, or Transportation (and others) all hire many Env Sci majors in a wide variety of positions.

4) definitely volunteer. She can call any place that looks attractive to her and ask if there are volunteer opps. This will really help her; even if they don't have a volunteer opp currently, they might have one soon or they might have a job opening soon. When I was a junior I called the local Forest Service office looking for volunteer opps. They gave me a job intstead.

5) go to the local employment office and take free classes on resumes, interviews and job searches

Old 12-05-2015, 02:07 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Why are YOU making this inquiry? Why isn't your daughter doing it herself? If she's not motivated, you can't live her life for her.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:10 PM

12,889 posts, read 8,730,792 times
Finding your 1st career related job is the most important process in anyone's career development. You may work those 1-2 jobs that are completely unrelated but it gives you skills towards the next job that could be your longest one.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:19 PM

393 posts, read 261,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I agree.

Your daughter could work as a geologist. Her major may not have exactly been 'geology' but environmental science involves plenty of geology courses for sure. So when she is looking for jobs, she can type in geologist as well and that should produce more results. As Retire in MB stated, energy usually attracts these kinds of majors but as the industry is down (oil is on my mind), she should consider water/wastewater treatment (inspectors) as Goin' Coastal stated.

jambo101, you said that your daughter has a degree...I'm assuming it is a bachelor's? Because jobs aren't as easy to find now as they were a few years ago in her field, she may have to consider going for her master's degree if that is possible. She will find that a master's is usually required and if not, many years of experience with a bachelor's. Going back to school may be the wisest choice for her, given that she has no experience and got her degree 3 years ago.

I wish her luck!
I am not sure anyone said useless, but she has no practical experience and apparently such limited knowledge about the field itself that she doesn't even know where to begin a job search. If she begins to volunteer somewhere she can get experience and see what she does and doesn't like. I would not start a masters program without experience because then all you get is more education and still no experience.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:57 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,229,994 times
This is easier than it used to be. Go to indeed.com, leave the location field open, and look for "environmental science". This will at least tell her who's hiring and what they're looking for. Don't rule anything out, not even the jobs in Alaska and Minnesota, she won't freeze. Anything she likes but is underqualified for, keep in mind so she will know what to do to get qualified for it. Also you can add terms like "intern" or "entry" or "junior" to find things she is qualified for. Apply for everything she has a majority of the "required" skillset for. Stress that the job is more important than the location, for entry level I cannot stress this enough. I know people who were afraid to leave their hometown, and at age forty, they are in a world of hurt right now.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:00 PM

393 posts, read 261,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
This is easier than it used to be. Go to indeed.com, leave the location field open, and look for "environmental science". This will at least tell her who's hiring and what they're looking for. Don't rule anything out, not even the jobs in Alaska and Minnesota, she won't freeze. Anything she likes but is underqualified for, keep in mind so she will know what to do to get qualified for it. Also you can add terms like "intern" or "entry" or "junior" to find things she is qualified for. Apply for everything she has a majority of the "required" skillset for. Stress that the job is more important than the location, for entry level I cannot stress this enough. I know people who were afraid to leave their hometown, and at age forty, they are in a world of hurt right now.
Yes, sometimes if you are starting a new career you take the job anywhere it is. The OP's daughter doesn't sound incredibly proactive though so will probably continue her current job. That might be the real issue. Or maybe they finished the degree and don't like the work but don't want to confess that to mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search