U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-08-2015, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,152 posts, read 14,230,054 times
Reputation: 7087

Advertisements

Now I'm wondering if I should stop applying to jobs outside of Columbus altogether. I mean, it would just be a hassle to move again, and would cost $5,000 to break the lease and pay for moving expenses.

I believe it would take up to 6 months to find a job here, if I only look here. But if I continue looking in other cities, I believe it would only take up to 3 months. Do you think it's worth relocating just to secure employment about 3 months earlier than I would probably secure employment here in Columbus? There are pros and cons to it, I guess.

The pro would be that I would only have a 3-month gap on my resume instead of a 6-month gap (I'm estimating). The con would be that I would have to pay $5,000 to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2015, 03:58 AM
 
19,217 posts, read 7,509,470 times
Reputation: 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Now I'm wondering if I should stop applying to jobs outside of Columbus altogether. I mean, it would just be a hassle to move again, and would cost $5,000 to break the lease and pay for moving expenses.

I believe it would take up to 6 months to find a job here, if I only look here. But if I continue looking in other cities, I believe it would only take up to 3 months. Do you think it's worth relocating just to secure employment about 3 months earlier than I would probably secure employment here in Columbus? There are pros and cons to it, I guess.

The pro would be that I would only have a 3-month gap on my resume instead of a 6-month gap (I'm estimating). The con would be that I would have to pay $5,000 to relocate.

You need all the cities you can get. Do not confuse interviews for offers. Most likely at least 6 candidates will reach an in person interview, and 5 leave disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Chicago area
8,899 posts, read 13,419,339 times
Reputation: 16142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, the job that I have a phone interview for tomorrow is in Lake County, IL. It's in North Chicago.

I think $300 is reasonable for a round trip plane ticket.
Must be Abvie/Abbott Labs. Their North Chicago campus is off the Union Pacific North Line metra though isn't very convenient to it (though I think Abbott labs runs shuttles). You could live in Chicago, any of the North Shore burbs though eastern Lake Co north of Lake Bluff/Great Lakes Naval Station is generally ghetto or Kenosha Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,152 posts, read 14,230,054 times
Reputation: 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You need all the cities you can get. Do not confuse interviews for offers. Most likely at least 6 candidates will reach an in person interview, and 5 leave disappointed.
Yeah well I have a feeling that after tomorrow's interview, I will get an offer.

But.....maybe not. My recruiter told me that the employer has expressed concern about me staying here in Columbus for the long term. Also, the interview is freekin' 3.5 hours long, meeting with 6 different people. That is insane. I don't see how I can succeed at that. Too intense. But I'll try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
24,037 posts, read 17,897,365 times
Reputation: 28210
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Employers look for long-term hires. Not saying it holds true in practice that they stay, but to be frank, my last several employers most often tossed resumes of serial job hoppers.


Now with Columbus 4% unemployment rate, that region may not have the luxury to toss any resumes.
I guess it depends on what your definition of long-term is. Granted, I was in low end work before my most recent job and I have always worked in IT departments, so there was a lot of churn, but the expectation of one of the managers here (who manages staff more senior to me) is two to five years. I'd consider five years of the same role with not much progression long term. There is an associate, "regular," and senior level of this same job title in my company. Most regulars move on before they make it to senior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
24,037 posts, read 17,897,365 times
Reputation: 28210
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Now I'm wondering if I should stop applying to jobs outside of Columbus altogether. I mean, it would just be a hassle to move again, and would cost $5,000 to break the lease and pay for moving expenses.

I believe it would take up to 6 months to find a job here, if I only look here. But if I continue looking in other cities, I believe it would only take up to 3 months. Do you think it's worth relocating just to secure employment about 3 months earlier than I would probably secure employment here in Columbus? There are pros and cons to it, I guess.

The pro would be that I would only have a 3-month gap on my resume instead of a 6-month gap (I'm estimating). The con would be that I would have to pay $5,000 to relocate.
You are looking at things in way to binary of a fashion.

Whatever cost is quoted to terminate the lease is not set in stone. Let's say they want $2,500 to break the lease. You put in thirty days notice and hand in the keys at the end and don't pay up immediately. If it's a big company, they're likely to send you a bill and are likely to negotiate. I simply packed up and left Iowa a couple years back, handed in the keys, and drove off the same day. They wanted a couple thousand dollars, but I eventually got them down to $700 or so. It never went to court or my credit report.

Personally, I'd throw a wide net if you're wanting to stay in this niche field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,152 posts, read 14,230,054 times
Reputation: 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You are looking at things in way to binary of a fashion.

Whatever cost is quoted to terminate the lease is not set in stone. Let's say they want $2,500 to break the lease. You put in thirty days notice and hand in the keys at the end and don't pay up immediately. If it's a big company, they're likely to send you a bill and are likely to negotiate. I simply packed up and left Iowa a couple years back, handed in the keys, and drove off the same day. They wanted a couple thousand dollars, but I eventually got them down to $700 or so. It never went to court or my credit report.

Personally, I'd throw a wide net if you're wanting to stay in this niche field.
Well, ultimately, it's a wash, I think. It might be worth paying the $5,000 to relocate if it means that I'll be able to start receiving a paycheck 3 months earlier than I would if I didn't relocate, especially if the pay is going to be higher than it would be here in Columbus.

Anyway, I just had the phone interview with the company in Chicagoland it went great. I revealed to her my sexual orientation over the phone, toward the end and said that I was impressed with the LGBT award her company received from the Human Rights Campaign. She laughed and responded favorably! So maybe they'll hire me for being gay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 05:14 PM
 
1,379 posts, read 1,130,555 times
Reputation: 2211
Wow. I'm late to the party. Things seem to be taking a turn for the better, Nep. Congrats and good luck to you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 05:17 PM
 
19,217 posts, read 7,509,470 times
Reputation: 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah well I have a feeling that after tomorrow's interview, I will get an offer.

But.....maybe not. My recruiter told me that the employer has expressed concern about me staying here in Columbus for the long term. Also, the interview is freekin' 3.5 hours long, meeting with 6 different people. That is insane. I don't see how I can succeed at that. Too intense. But I'll try.

The Columbus long term is a must do for you. You should convey how Ct is a horrible market for you, so you realized it was time to move on. And come up with local stuff you want to do, that is months off, and mention those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
9,162 posts, read 8,546,357 times
Reputation: 15862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Anyway, I just had the phone interview with the company in Chicagoland it went great. I revealed to her my sexual orientation over the phone, toward the end and said that I was impressed with the LGBT award her company received from the Human Rights Campaign. She laughed and responded favorably! So maybe they'll hire me for being gay!
That is a huge risk. I hope it works out for you.

The reason that it is a risk is not necessarily because of your sexual orientation, but because you bring up such a personal thing in an interview setting. You run the risk of being viewed as inappropriate.

Whenever I have interviewed I have always taken pains to keep my personal life out of the discussion. I don't refer to my hobbies, spouse (or lack thereof), pets, kid (or ack thereof) religion, etc.

I have occasionally been mistaken as gay as a result of my caution, but the distance seems to work for me. I don't keep such a cautious distance once I am hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top