U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-09-2015, 06:39 PM
 
18,843 posts, read 7,324,124 times
Reputation: 8064

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That is a huge risk. I hope it works out for you.

The reason that it is a risk is not necessarily because of your sexual orientation, but because you bring up such a personal thing in an interview setting. You run the risk of being viewed as inappropriate.

.



Amen. They want an employee who functions well in the professional role. Plus, you have no way to know how HM feels about the issue.


Your comment was all risk, in what sounded like a good interview. You do not want to turn a good professional interview into a non professional chat. That can turn off the person who was formerly impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2015, 06:59 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Columbus long term is a must do for you. You should convey how Ct is a horrible market for you, so you realized it was time to move on. And come up with local stuff you want to do, that is months off, and mention those.
He definitely needs to stay somewhere long term. I can only imagine nep moving to somewhere like Chicago or Philly, hating it, then moving 1-2 years down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. They want an employee who functions well in the professional role. Plus, you have no way to know how HM feels about the issue.


Your comment was all risk, in what sounded like a good interview. You do not want to turn a good professional interview into a non professional chat. That can turn off the person who was formerly impressed.
It's not something I would bring up in an interview with a non-HR person. Philanthropic topics are okay to discuss with HR. She was positively receptive of it and I doubt it harmed my chances at all. She said that she will forward her notes and my resume to the hiring manager and I may hear from them by the end of this week.

I'm not worried about it. You guys are WAY too old school and by the book with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 07:59 PM
 
18,843 posts, read 7,324,124 times
Reputation: 8064
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's not something I would bring up in an interview with a non-HR person. Philanthropic topics are okay to discuss with HR. She was positively receptive of it and I doubt it harmed my chances at all. She said that she will forward her notes and my resume to the hiring manager and I may hear from them by the end of this week.

I'm not worried about it. You guys are WAY too old school and by the book with everything.

We're more experienced. It was a risk, and if put off, managers do not indicate it. They just note it and decide what to do.


Play your cards close to your vest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro (Cobb County)
1,558 posts, read 743,963 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah well I have a feeling that after tomorrow's interview, I will get an offer.

But.....maybe not. My recruiter told me that the employer has expressed concern about me staying here in Columbus for the long term. Also, the interview is freekin' 3.5 hours long, meeting with 6 different people. That is insane. I don't see how I can succeed at that. Too intense. But I'll try.
One advantage of having a long interview is that you should have a good opportunity to assess what the prospective workplace is like, as well as some of the people at the company and possibly the team where you would be working. In the event you get an offer, there is a better chance you can accept it knowing what to expect - and walk into a situation that will make you happy and productive for the long run. It sounds like emphasizing how much you like Columbus and aspire to settle down in the area would also be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Reputation: 27576
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That is a huge risk. I hope it works out for you.

The reason that it is a risk is not necessarily because of your sexual orientation, but because you bring up such a personal thing in an interview setting. You run the risk of being viewed as inappropriate.

Whenever I have interviewed I have always taken pains to keep my personal life out of the discussion. I don't refer to my hobbies, spouse (or lack thereof), pets, kid (or ack thereof) religion, etc.

I have occasionally been mistaken as gay as a result of my caution, but the distance seems to work for me. I don't keep such a cautious distance once I am hired.
Neither do I. I think it's a sign he's one to bring up controversial topics and may end up stirring the pot when hired. Whether he's actually like that, who knows, but I keep anything like that out of an interview. I won't talk about my relationship status, whether I have kids or not (I don't), or even where I'm commuting from if I can.

I don't want to give the overly PC workplace anything to use against me. I'm a pretty conservative guy, and outside of one person in our ten person office, no one else knows my politics or anything controversial. I like to keep it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Reputation: 7075
Oh come on now. I never discuss politics, religion or anything like that during interviews. It was just a tidbit that showed that I did some research on the company and I just wanted to express my favorable impression that the company values corporate equality among its employees. WHY is it such a bad thing to say?! It's not like I outright told her I'm gay or anything.

Besides, she probably appreciated that I told her that, because they probably have a hiring quota for LGBT people for their company. So if they need more LGBT people, it only HELPS my chances of getting hired, to further their mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Besides, she probably appreciated that I told her that, because they probably have a hiring quota for LGBT people for their company. So if they need more LGBT people, it only HELPS my chances of getting hired, to further their mission.
Hiring quota? Does being gay fall under the equal opportunity laws? I think what you said was good, because as you said it shows that you know a few things about the company...but I wouldn't have said it under normal circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Reputation: 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's not something I would bring up in an interview with a non-HR person. Philanthropic topics are okay to discuss with HR.
Nope. EVERY SINGLE PERSON you meet and talk to is part of the interview process. I get a report from HR about their interactions with candidates. It is only informational, as the hiring decision rests with me, but if HR were to tell me that you had been inappropriate, too familiar, or simply unprofessional that would become one of the factors that I consider.

Quote:
She was positively receptive of it and I doubt it harmed my chances at all. She said that she will forward her notes and my resume to the hiring manager and I may hear from them by the end of this week.
You might not be harmed by this revelation. Or you may be. It is too early to tell, and I wish you the best if luck.

Quote:
I'm not worried about it. You guys are WAY too old school and by the book with everything.
I may be old school. But I also have dozens of people who report to me and I hire people all the time. I just might know what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2015, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,929 posts, read 8,394,310 times
Reputation: 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh come on now. I never discuss politics, religion or anything like that during interviews. It was just a tidbit that showed that I did some research on the company and I just wanted to express my favorable impression that the company values corporate equality among its employees. WHY is it such a bad thing to say?! It's not like I outright told her I'm gay or anything.

Besides, she probably appreciated that I told her that, because they probably have a hiring quota for LGBT people for their company. So if they need more LGBT people, it only HELPS my chances of getting hired, to further their mission.
LGBTQ status is not a protected category in many states. I don't know about Ohio specifically though.

You should probably know that quotas don't exist. You cannot discriminate against orotected classes, but you don't have to hire a certain percentage either.

I would laugh at HR if they told me to hire somebody based upon their EEOC protected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top