Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I am now working with a recruiter in northern NJ who has forwarded my resume to a company in Morris County, NJ. She said that I would be a good fit for the job and that she could probably bargain a salary of $100K for me. But there's a catch. The average work week is 45 hours a week.

Nonetheless, I allowed her to contact my references and go ahead and forward my resume to the company hiring manager. I don't know what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:47 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am now working with a recruiter in northern NJ who has forwarded my resume to a company in Morris County, NJ. She said that I would be a good fit for the job and that she could probably bargain a salary of $100K for me. But there's a catch. The average work week is 45 hours a week.

Nonetheless, I allowed her to contact my references and go ahead and forward my resume to the company hiring manager. I don't know what I was thinking.
You're on a roll!! I need to take a page from your book. Are you using job boards to find these recruiters?

Last edited by lovely40; 12-10-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:

nep, you're gonna have to loosen up. Not everything will be on your terms.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:00 AM

311 posts, read 478,067 times
Quote:

Geez! 45 hours? Tell them to shove it! Hell, I bet a bottom-feeder company like that doesn't even start you off with 12 weeks of vacation or a corner office!

Old 12-10-2015, 04:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My last 3 employers did the same thing. We asked everyone who interviewed candidates their thoughts, and if any said "I wouldn't hire him/her", even if other 4 or 5 said "he/she is ok or better", the candidate was never hired.
That's just the way it was where I lasts worked. Although my supervisor and I had the last word on hiring, we also asked our coworkers, the people who would actually be working with the candidate, to talk with him or her and give us feedback.

Their talks were very informal because we wanted our employees to be able to relate to one another on a compatible basis so it was okay to discuss matters other than those work related but not overly personal. Everyone's opinion was valued. We had great teams who worked very well with one another. But to be perfectly honest, if our employees didn't think someone would fit in, that person usually didn't get hired, at least not in our department.

One interesting thing is that while one person may not spot a phony or a primadona or a potential troublemaker, several people might be able to. The few times we gave someone who had less than a stellar recommendation from our crew we hired anyway, we wound up regretting it.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Well, today I had the interview that was scheduled for 3.5 hours and it ended up lasting 4.5 hours. FML.

I think overall it went well an I connected with most of them quite well. Except for one guy who would just cold stare at me with his eyes widened and never smiled. The guy I connected with the most was the VP of Finance, at the end of the interview process. He spent 90 minutes with me and took me around the entire campus and gave me a tour. The place is very beautiful and brand new. Nice cafeteria, too.

Overall my impression was favorable.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:07 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Well, today I had the interview that was scheduled for 3.5 hours and it ended up lasting 4.5 hours. FML.

I think overall it went well an I connected with most of them quite well. Except for one guy who would just cold stare at me with his eyes widened and never smiled. The guy I connected with the most was the VP of Finance, at the end of the interview process. He spent 90 minutes with me and took me around the entire campus and gave me a tour. The place is very beautiful and brand new. Nice cafeteria, too.

Overall my impression was favorable.
Glad to hear it. You might be able to stay in Columbus!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Glad to hear it. You might be able to stay in Columbus!
I would be happy to stay in Columbus. It really is a good place to live, although not as good as the Hartford, CT area. But there are no jobs there. I miss my mommy and nonna

Old 12-10-2015, 06:05 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:

What's the issue?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What's the issue?
I don't wanna work 45 hours a week on average.

This company in Columbus that I interviewed with today is 40 hour work weeks and will likely pay $63K. The job in Morris Plains, NJ would pay $100K but requires 45 hours a week. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search