U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 06:11 PM

18,883 posts, read 7,346,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't wanna work 45 hours a week on average.

This company in Columbus that I interviewed with today is 40 hour work weeks and will likely pay $63K. The job in Morris Plains, NJ would pay $100K but requires 45 hours a week. Ugh.

$37k for 240 hours (4 wks holiday and PTO). That is $154 per hour.

Pays for Ct trips, after taxes, for over a decade, and you could get home by rail or short car ride. No planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 747,351 times
Quote:

This company in Columbus that I interviewed with today is 40 hour work weeks and will likely pay $63K. The job in Morris Plains, NJ would pay $100K but requires 45 hours a week. Ugh.
That's a huge compensation difference - aside from the cost of living and work hours differential, maybe the nature of the jobs themselves are not the same, or the benefits? I would think that area of NJ has some similarity to the Stamford area of CT where you lived before, which didn't sound like your ideal type of place (it wouldn't be mine either).

45 hours a week isn't too bad for a salaried position - if it's like a lot of jobs, it could be more like 40 hours much of the time, and 55-60 during especially busy cycles. Hopefully you will have a few choices ultimately and not have to compromise too much.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
That's a huge compensation difference - aside from the cost of living and work hours differential, maybe the nature of the jobs themselves are not the same, or the benefits? I would think that area of NJ has some similarity to the Stamford area of CT where you lived before, which didn't sound like your ideal type of place (it wouldn't be mine either).

45 hours a week isn't too bad for a salaried position - if it's like a lot of jobs, it could be more like 40 hours much of the time, and 55-60 during especially busy cycles. Hopefully you will have a few choices ultimately and not have to compromise too much.

North NJ is pricey but not absurd. I would bet this is higher level, which OP needs in order to get by staff level.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:45 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,126,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
North NJ is pricey but not absurd. I would bet this is higher level, which OP needs in order to get by staff level.
Yes, it is a senior level role (the next level up).

As for cost of living in north NJ, it's really approximately the same as Fairfield County, CT. However, it looks like the highway infrastructure in north NJ is light years better than in Fairfield County, CT. Just looking at a map, I see tons of highways everywhere in north NJ! That means less traffic and bottlenecks!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a senior level role (the next level up).

As for cost of living in north NJ, it's really approximately the same as Fairfield County, CT. However, it looks like the highway infrastructure in north NJ is light years better than in Fairfield County, CT. Just looking at a map, I see tons of highways everywhere in north NJ! That means less traffic and bottlenecks!

North NJ has more jams than central where I reside, but NJ has far more rail lines and usage than Ct, and that helps greatly. One warning-many NJ highways have horrible ramps, short, stubby, tiny, fast ending merge lanes. So be prepared to get from moving slowly around very curvy ramps and 65 in a nano second sometimes. I avoid the highway closest to me, as in 14 months, I had 3 very very close calls to horrible accidents.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 AM

So, I am about 6 weeks into my job search and here are the stats:

Applications: 19
Interviews: 1
Offers: 0

Keep in mind, this is while searching in 7 different metro areas, as follows, along with number of applications stated:

New York: 6
Chicago: 3
Philadelphia: 2
Washington: 1
Columbus: 5
Hartford: 1
Rochester: 1

I also have 7 recruiters working for me across these various metros.

Thoughts?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM

3,988 posts, read 1,679,744 times
Quote:

Don't confuse interviews/resume submissions with offers.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:42 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
Quote:
So, I am about 6 weeks into my job search and here are the stats:

Applications: 19
Interviews: 1
Offers: 0

Keep in mind, this is while searching in 7 different metro areas, as follows, along with number of applications stated:

New York: 6
Chicago: 3
Philadelphia: 2
Washington: 1
Columbus: 5
Hartford: 1
Rochester: 1

I also have 7 recruiters working for me across these various metros.

Thoughts?
No, you're only a week into your job search. You were only considering most of those cities as of a week ago. You already spoke of getting multiple phone interviews and chats with recruits. I'd say you're doing better than 90 percent of the people out there.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
No, you're only a week into your job search. You were only considering most of those cities as of a week ago. You already spoke of getting multiple phone interviews and chats with recruits. I'd say you're doing better than 90 percent of the people out there.
Yeah. And I would say that I have the best chance at securing a job here in Columbus, by far, considering the population being much smaller than those bigger cities, which means less competition.

Everyone on this forum predicted gloom and doom for me and once again I'm gradually proving them wrong!

Old 12-11-2015, 11:50 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
Quote:
Yeah. And I would say that I have the best chance at securing a job here in Columbus, by far, considering the population being much smaller than those bigger cities, which means less competition.

Everyone on this forum predicted gloom and doom for me and once again I'm gradually proving them wrong!
Just don't screw it up again and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search