U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 08:15 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,528,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I understand what you're saying, but Cols starts to seem a lot larger once you start driving around in it.

It's all the different neighborhoods. If one has the patience to drive from the north end of High Street up near 270 all the way south past downtown, there's everything from mansions to section 8 housing, as well as libraries, unique shops, the rose park, OSU campus, Italian Village, Short North, downtown, etc . . . I used to take out-of-state guests on that drive and they would remark that Cols was a lot bigger than they thought.

(And no, I SO do NOT miss all that traffic! I can cross the Des Moines metro in 20 minutes, even at rush hour! It used to take me 20 minutes to get six blocks to Rt. 315 at rush hour . . .)
Yeah I'm not saying that Columbus is a small city, but in the class of US cities that can truly be defined as large? Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 08:42 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,135,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah I'm not saying that Columbus is a small city, but in the class of US cities that can truly be defined as large? Nope.
Columbus is truly large though. And it feels much bigger than it looks on a map.

Being the 32nd largest metro in the nation out of all 381 metros, that puts it in the top 8% largest metros in the nation.

The city itself has 800,000 people, which is bigger than Boston.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:07 PM

1,571 posts, read 749,380 times
Mid-year 2014 estimates place Columbus' municipal population at over 835,000 - 15th largest nationally. While I think metropolitan populations are more relevant, it's certainly significant on that basis as well.

On the topic of job searching, here's the latest unemployment rates across the nation as of October 2015 - Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas . For what it's worth Columbus looks a lot better at 3.6% than my location of Atlanta at 5.4%, or the national average at 4.8%. Just one small data point, but it does suggest there may not be a massive amount of competition for the openings that come up locally - unless people already employed are looking for other opportunities.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:53 PM

Out of all the places I have been applying to jobs, the unemployment rates are as follows:

Columbus 3.6
Hartford 4.8
New York 4.6
Chicago 5.1
Philadelphia 4.9
Washington 4.3
Rochester 4.5

As you can see, Columbus is the best. Chicago is the worst. But all of the others are still decent. In general though, I take unemployment rates with a grain of salt.

Now, one other thing I forgot to mention is that the company I interviewed with this week told me that I was their 2nd person they interviewed for the job. Do you think they will want to interview anymore people? How many candidates do companies usually interview for a position? I was surprised that I didn't get an offer yesterday. Also, the HR lady told me that she was going to call me yesterday to talk about benefits, and she never called.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 PM

9,010 posts, read 8,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Now, one other thing I forgot to mention is that the company I interviewed with this week told me that I was their 2nd person they interviewed for the job. Do you think they will want to interview anymore people? How many candidates do companies usually interview for a position? I was surprised that I didn't get an offer yesterday. Also, the HR lady told me that she was going to call me yesterday to talk about benefits, and she never called.
I have seen most companies interview 3-8 people for positions. The number varies for a number of reasons, but generally the number is based on the quality of the candidate pool. If there is a cluster of people with comparable experience, generally they will all be interviewed.

If I had enough quality applicants, I would definitely want to interview more than two people for a tax accountant position.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have seen most companies interview 3-8 people for positions. The number varies for a number of reasons, but generally the number is based on the quality of the candidate pool. If there is a cluster of people with comparable experience, generally they will all be interviewed.

If I had enough quality applicants, I would definitely want to interview more than two people for a tax accountant position.
That what I figured. Two candidates for interview is simply not enough, and I don't blame them. I would think a company would want to interview at LEAST three candidates, bare minimum, before making an offer.

As an aside, I've been asking people about this company to various people in the Columbus area, such as my hairdresser lady, neighbor and friends. All of them said it's a good company to work for and people view it favorably. So that's a good thing. Work life balance is good too, with 40 hour weeks being the norm.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:34 PM

18,893 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Quote:
Out of all the places I have been applying to jobs, the unemployment rates are as follows:

Columbus 3.6
Hartford 4.8
New York 4.6
Chicago 5.1
Philadelphia 4.9
Washington 4.3
Rochester 4.5

As you can see, Columbus is the best. Chicago is the worst. But all of the others are still decent. In general though, I take unemployment rates with a grain of salt.

Most likely a half dozen would be their goal, at minimum.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Most likely a half dozen would be their goal, at minimum.
For real?

Oh well. At least my recruiter has another opportunity up his sleeve for me, here in Cbus.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 PM

18,893 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Quote:
For real?

Oh well. At least my recruiter has another opportunity up his sleeve for me, here in Cbus.
If possible, certainly. My last 3 corps almost never fell below 5, and we often interviewed 8 or 9.

Most times, we had a final round for 2 or 3.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
If possible, certainly. My last 3 corps almost never fell below 5, and we often interviewed 8 or 9.

Most times, we had a final round for 2 or 3.
Geez. Then I can pretty much forget about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search