U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 09:52 PM

19,019 posts, read 7,402,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Geez. Then I can pretty much forget about it.
No. But your goal in a first interview should be to make the final round. At that stage, you are down to 2 or 3.

Think of interviewing like football. Agency interview, phone screen with corp, perhaps a Hiring manager corp SKYPE, then one or two rounds face to face. Your goal at each round is to "move the chains", get another first down. getting hired is reaching the endzone.

PS: Bear in mind, assuming they wish to interview more, it may take a while to find enough they want to see. Perhaps into January, or perhaps adding other agencies. they only pay a fee for a hire-so we often use several recruiters, and all but one gets SQUAT. But >1 slows down the process usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 09:56 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,162,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No. But your goal in a first interview should be to make the final round. At that stage, you are down to 2 or 3.

Think of interviewing like football. Agency interview, phone screen with corp, perhaps a Hiring manager corp SKYPE, then one or two rounds face to face. Your goal at each round is to "move the chains", get another first down. getting hired is reaching the endzone.

PS: Bear in mind, assuming they wish to interview more, it may take a while to find enough they want to see. Perhaps into January, or perhaps adding other agencies. they only pay a fee for a hire-so we often use several recruiters, and all but one gets SQUAT. But >1 slows down the process usually.
Well then I suppose I will just continue my job search as usual. 6 weeks down, 20 more to go before I become long-term unemployed.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Well then I suppose I will just continue my job search as usual. 6 weeks down, 20 more to go before I become long-term unemployed.
Correct. You have NO offers, no starting date, so why would you change strategy given those facts.

You need to stop moving your feet before a whistle has blown. The play is not over until the whistle. That firm offer-with all tests passed-is the whistle.

A first interview is not a whistle.

And by definition, long term unemployed 6 month criteria would include the first 2 months when you were not active, as well as these 6 weeks. On a resume, those first 2 months look the same to employers-with or w/o effort.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Correct. You have NO offers, no starting date, so why would you change strategy given those facts.

You need to stop moving your feet before a whistle has blown. The play is not over until the whistle. That firm offer-with all tests passed-is the whistle.

A first interview is not a whistle.

And by definition, long term unemployed 6 month criteria would include the first 2 months when you were not active, as well as these 6 weeks. On a resume, those first 2 months look the same to employers-with or w/o effort.
Well how do you think my search is going overall, at the 6 week mark? I have done 19 applications, 1 interview and no offers. Depending on how this week goes for applications, I may add even more cities to my search.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Well how do you think my search is going overall, at the 6 week mark? I have done 19 applications, 1 interview and no offers. Depending on how this week goes for applications, I may add even more cities to my search.
About as I expected. Most interest in Columbus, and given its ultra low unemployment rate-I expect that, but do think even more cities would help your odds.

Do think of things long term in Columbus you want to do, and in the chit chat portion of interviews, (usually the 1st step with H/R when they ask about how you got there), bring up those things as if on your bucket list. That demonstrates "Hey, he is not thinking of leaving this city".

DO NOT indicate you are looking in other cities to any employer. EVER. Do not talk too much about Ct and what you liked about it. EVER. Those things put doubt in employer's minds about "Is he staying in Columbus?".

Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
About as I expected. Most interest in Columbus, and given its ultra low unemployment rate-I expect that, but do think even more cities would help your odds.

Do think of things long term in Columbus you want to do, and in the chit chat portion of interviews, (usually the 1st step with H/R when they ask about how you got there), bring up those things as if on your bucket list. That demonstartes "Hey, he is not thinking of leaving this city".
I think I have conveyed that to them though. I told them that I have been to 47 states and specifically targeted Columbus as my choice of relocation from CT. That seemed to resonate pretty well with them. Actually, some of the people I interviewed with didn't even care to ask about it. They were more focused on my skills and experience and its relevance to the job.

The REAL challenge, is convincing other employers outside of Columbus as to why I would want to relocate to their area. I just tell them that I have expanded my search and see good opportunities in their area and am willing and able to relocate accordingly. I usually mention 1-3 things that appeal to me about their area, as well. In general, it seems to work decently. Some of them are more hung up on it, while others don't even seem to care about it. Of course, it would be ideal to say that I have some family in the area or something that shows that I have roots, but I don't like to fabricate stuff. If the employer is not on board with me wanting to relocate to their place even if I don't have family there, then I'm not going to lie and say that I have family there just to get the job.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:06 AM

427 posts, read 380,707 times
My job search is basically shotgunning my resume at every low skill job ad that appears on Craigslist. Job hunting for me is coming face to face with my broken dreams.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
My job search is basically shotgunning my resume at every low skill job ad that appears on Craigslist. Job hunting for me is coming face to face with my broken dreams.
I wish I had that problem. My career is specialized, so job postings are less frequent and in less abundance. And then the company has to be a good place to work, too. I have to be qualified and interested, etc. And it has to be at my career level. That narrows things down a lot.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:33 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,550,178 times
Quote:
I wish I had that problem. My career is specialized, so job postings are less frequent and in less abundance. And then the company has to be a good place to work, too. I have to be qualified and interested, etc. And it has to be at my career level. That narrows things down a lot.
I wish I had your problem. I can't make anything close to the salaries you get offered. Fortunately, I kill it on stocks week in and week out.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I wish I had your problem. I can't make anything close to the salaries you get offered. Fortunately, I kill it on stocks week in and week out.
Well, the nice thing about having a career that doesn't require a college degree is that you have MANY job choices available, anywhere, anytime. The downside is that the pay won't be so good.

A career that requires a college degree and pays well is going to be more specialized. Postings will be less abundant. But the upside is that they pay is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search