U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,129,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Bipolar disorder? The "manic" phase has now kicked in?

I wish you well, Nep. I do. I also agree with those who have suggested some professional counseling, and Columbus does have some good resources: Treatment for Mood Disorders | Mental Health Services for Mood Disorders | OSU Wexner Medical Center
Thanks, but this is not a bipolar disorder. It's a shift in my general perspective on things. You'll just have to take my word for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So far, 31% of the jobs I applied to are in Chicagoland. It's much more affordable and less urban than NYC anyway.
It's a bit colder, but have you looked at Minneapolis? Hands down my favorite city in the US. I don't know if they have your job field, but they have a diverse economy so I'm assuming so. Cheaper than anything on the coasts, it's even cheap compared to places like Denver. More expensive than Columbus...but outside of Chicago, no other Midwestern city can match Minneapolis in terms of amenities/cost of living ratio. I'd look into it if you want the best of both worlds. They also have a direct flight to Hartford.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It's a bit colder, but have you looked at Minneapolis? Hands down my favorite city in the US. I don't know if they have your job field, but they have a diverse economy so I'm assuming so. Cheaper than anything on the coasts, it's even cheap compared to places like Denver. More expensive than Columbus...but outside of Chicago, no other Midwestern city can match Minneapolis in terms of amenities/cost of living ratio. I'd look into it if you want the best of both worlds. They also have a direct flight to Hartford.
Yeah, I've been to Minneapolis. It was pretty neat. However, I feel that my current roster of cities is enough for now. I'll see how things progress throughout the rest of this month, and then maybe I'll add Minneapolis in the mix. The only thing that sucks is that I am only worth $63K in Minneapolis, which is the same as in Columbus for me. In Chicago I can get around $66K.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 PM

99 posts, read 92,541 times
What's your field? What about Boston?

Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
What's your field? What about Boston?
Corporate tax accounting (non CPA, nonpublic, no clients).

I am not going to add any more cities until maybe January at this point. I feel like I am searching in enough cities now and don't want to bombard myself with more, at least not yet. I mean, this week, my phone could be ringing like crazy, now that I suddenly applied to 40 more jobs this weekend.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 748,003 times
Good luck Nep! I think given your highly specialized career field, it makes sense to be flexible geographically, especially if compensation is correlated with the local cost of living.

Hopefully you will start receiving job offers soon - and have a strategy in place to be a solid performer when you start working. Most of us in large corporate environments have to work with people we may not have much in common with personally, but focusing on the company's needs and getting the work done takes priority. Your new positive attitude will go a long way towards achieving success wherever you end up.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Good luck Nep! I think given your highly specialized career field, it makes sense to be flexible geographically, especially if compensation is correlated with the local cost of living.

Hopefully you will start receiving job offers soon - and have a strategy in place to be a solid performer when you start working. Most of us in large corporate environments have to work with people we may not have much in common with personally, but focusing on the company's needs and getting the work done takes priority. Your new positive attitude will go a long way towards achieving success wherever you end up.
Yes, my career, apparently is way more specialized that I ever thought before. Here is how I can explain that...

Accountants are very common, but there are several main pillars of accounting: general accounting, cost accounting and tax accounting. I am in tax accounting, which only represents about 30% of these three pillars.

Within tax accounting, there are two pillars: public tax accounting and corporate tax accounting. 90% of these jobs are public and 10% are corporate. I am in corporate.

And to make matters even more specialized, the job must be at MY career level (staff/senior), which represents maybe 30% of all corporate tax accounting jobs.

30% x 10% x 30% = 1%

So, in the entire universe of accounting jobs, only 1% of all jobs are actually relevant to me. My career typically requires a corporate headquarters office for place of work. Corporate headquarters tend to be in larger metropolitan areas.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:31 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,350,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Nep, is that really you? I'm quite encouraged by your post, good for you!

It is refreshing.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:35 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,350,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah, I've been to Minneapolis. It was pretty neat. However, I feel that my current roster of cities is enough for now. I'll see how things progress throughout the rest of this month, and then maybe I'll add Minneapolis in the mix. The only thing that sucks is that I am only worth $63K in Minneapolis, which is the same as in Columbus for me. In Chicago I can get around $66K.

Chicago rents are much higher, so to be frank, 63k Columbus > 66K Chicago.

My brother and nephew live in northern Chicago burbs. Now my nephew makes several hundred thousand annually so it is a breeze, while his dad is a state of Ct retiree. But do look at rents on rent.com or like when comparing salary levels.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:42 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,523,590 times
I'm in Raleigh right now, because I'm making double what other employers would pay me at the moment. But I'm making some sacrifices to live here, and I'm not sure I can stay here long-term. So...it's not all about the money. Through investments, I'm in a way better financial position now than I was in August when I moved here. I just moved here as a safety net and to get my feet wet (I was living abroad until this year and didn't have much time to decide.)

So sometimes it is about finding the city that's perfect for you. While having my salary doubled is great, I'm confident that soon I can get that same salary in whatever city I want to live in. Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't live somewhere I didn't want to...it is not all about the money. And it sounds like nep can get the same salary almost anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search