U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:38 PM

144 posts, read 84,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
why are employers/companies confused as people? They can't "be" heartless... they are machines. They do what they are made to do, make profit. They do what the commands are given to them on how to operate...

if you don't like your computer, do you bargain with it in hopes it can do something new? that it wasn't built for? Or get a new computer? If a company isn't providing what you want, you move to the next one that will provide what you are looking for...

in that regard, I can't blame nep for seeking new employment, but he isn't seeking it because he wanted something the old job didn't provide... he was simply fired for over reaching his position. He could try to find a job that is as "flexible" as he wants, but he may be looking for a long time.
That is what a business does and that is what they were designed to do. I completely agree with you.

If a computer does not do what it is supposed to do, just get a new one, right? Absolutely! If the computer is not working properly, do we attempt to fix it? nope. Do we call the IT department to see if they know why it is not working properly? nope. The computer is dysfunctional and they need to be replaced immediately. Why would anyone waste their time or money attempting to find the root cause. Lets just ignore Brenda with her uncontrollable urge to watch cat videos and the fact that she accidentally downloaded a virus in an email claiming to direct her to the number one source for cute and cuddly cat videos on the internet. Do you have any idea what it would cost to get a trained professional to diagnose symptoms in a dysfunctional computer? The price is astronomical. We are simply going to move on to the next one. There are thousands upon thousands of computers waiting to replace said dysfunctional computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:27 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,700,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Interesting. The conversation was friendly, so not sure why it was deleted.
I saw it too. I didn't intend to participate but I wanted to see what he had to say. He had decided to cast a wider net and accept a job anywhere in the US. He had some encouraging responses. Then a couple of hours later his thread was gone.

This poor guy seems to really be having problems. I just hope he gets his life turned around for the better.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:29 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,861,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Usually it picks up starting in about 6-8 weeks..winter winding down, new budgets, and before college grads get attention.
I hope so, theres been quite a lack of decent job postings lately.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 PM

18,988 posts, read 7,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I saw it too. I didn't intend to participate but I wanted to see what he had to say. He had decided to cast a wider net and accept a job anywhere in the US. He had some encouraging responses. Then a couple of hours later his thread was gone.

This poor guy seems to really be having problems. I just hope he gets his life turned around for the better.

Good news is job market is quite good. I am not surprised by December report. Finding candidates right now is hardly a breeze. And Columbus has hyper low unemployment.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,117,536 times
Quote:
Good news is job market is quite good. I am not surprised by December report. Finding candidates right now is hardly a breeze. And Columbus has hyper low unemployment.
Yes. December's news was very encouraging. Hopefully, Nep is having some luck.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 AM

502 posts, read 646,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Yes. December's news was very encouraging. Hopefully, Nep is having some luck.
Sounds like he has dropped his expectations to $56k and 5 weeks of vacation. But only if they throw in return tickets to go see his family 6 times/ year.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,539,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I hope it works out for him. There seems to be no end in sight. If he didn't get fired from his job in Columbus, I think he'd be in a good place right now.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My goal is to apply to about 30 jobs per month (a job a day). When I was only looking in Columbus and Hartford, I was only able to apply to 6 jobs per month. That's when I became worried that that was not enough. So then I added five more cities to my search.

How is your job search going, OP?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
He has a new thread but it doesn't sound like he's had any success.

Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,539,733 times
Quote:
Unfortunate, but not surprising.
I just saw his latest thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search