U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You're really going to have to decide if such a narrow career is worth it to you.

Let's face it - $60k-$70k in midsize metros like Columbus is a slightly above average to good salary, but it's not knocking it out of the ballpark. You have pretty substantial savings and are either debt-free or relatively close to it, unemployed in a city you don't really know. Now is the time to go somewhere else if you want and you've made numerous threads about not liking accounting, so now is the time to take whatever you can get and reinvent yourself if you like.

If you can find only two or three jobs you can do in major metro areas of ~2 million, that's a problem.
I am fine with staying in tax accounting and don't want to change my career anymore. It's not so much the content of the work as it is the people I work with and company culture, etc. that matters to me. My former job as a tax accountant in Stamford, CT was great, because the company was great and the people I worked with were great people. As such, the content of the work didn't bother me so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 03:43 PM

So I just had the Skype interview with the recruiter in Chicago. It was kind of strange, but overall it went okay.

The recruiter was supposed to Skype call me, but 20 minutes went by and she never called. So I had to phone call her and remind her that we had a Skype interview. I mean, I was all dressed up in a suit.....sigh. Nonetheless, she apologized and then Skype called me.

The entire Skype call lasted only 10 minutes. From the very beginning, she appeared very exhausted, never smiled, and never looked into the camera even ONCE. The entire time, I was smiling here and there and trying my best to look into the camera, and act engaged. She acted like she couldn't WAIT for 5:00 to come.

Anyway, I did my part. I dressed to impress, responded to her questions very professionally, smiled and was sincere.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:18 PM

18,873 posts, read 7,339,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many companies don't look at roles as being for "many years" these days. I work in IT, and of the ten people currently employed at this site, none were here on 1/1/2012. Of the roughly thirty people in the division, only a handful were here before 2010. I was hired last March, my manager the week after me, and everyone else under my manager is newer than him. Come to think of it - I'm the co "most senior" person that reports up through my manager's manager, which is nearly twenty people.

Employers look for long-term hires. Not saying it holds true in practice that they stay, but to be frank, my last several employers most often tossed resumes of serial job hoppers.

Now with Columbus 4% unemployment rate, that region may not have the luxury to toss any resumes.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Anyway, I did my part. I dressed to impress, responded to her questions very professionally, smiled and was sincere.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Yay! I just received an invitation for a phone interview with HR tomorrow with a biopharmaceutical company in Chicagoland!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,039,320 times
Quote:
Yay! I just received an invitation for a phone interview with HR tomorrow with a biopharmaceutical company in Chicagoland!
Sounds good Nep. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Sounds good Nep. Good luck!
Thanks!

I am surprised that companies and recruiters are even showing interest! I thought my resume was unemployable!

Yay! That means I can continue job hopping every 2 years for the rest of my life..yay!

Just kidding.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 746,041 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I am surprised that companies and recruiters are even showing interest! I thought my resume was unemployable!

Yay! That means I can continue job hopping every 2 years for the rest of my life..yay!

Just kidding.
Good luck Nep! FWIW ... I think in most of the Chicago area you would find more convenient, reasonably priced suburban areas for living options than was the case in Stamford. Pharma is likely a pretty good industry these days too.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Old 12-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Just kidding.

No. You are dealing in low unemployment cities,and they cannot avoid job hoppers. Ct can, due to mediocre unemployment and corp hqs possibly fleeing, so there job hopping harms you. Note the stark difference in results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search