Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 09:16 AM

28 posts, read 32,525 times

Advertisements

Hi

I started my new job on Monday and I feel like I made a mistake. It is not as expected and there are many things not expressed in the interview that I was not pleased with.

For example, I work as a system admin working with networking equipment, servers and storage/san stuff. When I got here they didn't have a desk for me so put me in the Helpdesk area sharing a desk with a lot of junk and I don't feel like I have a desk /home. Then, I find their IT setup is very disorganized and not setup right. I don't know how they are functioning in this patched setup. The CTO also sits in the IT room and takes walk up requests from staff. I feel like I have been thrown in there taking requests too and I stopped doing that years ago. (I am not saying I don't want to help others but it wasn't made part of the job description.)

I know you need to give a new job time, but I don't see this panning out well.

Anyway, I get a call late Monday from another company I had interviewed with before taking this job and they want to offer me the job. More pay (between salary and bonus almost $20k more!), 10 holidays (vs 6), and 23 PTO vs 18. It's more inline with my skills and experience. I said I would think on it and last night I told them I would take it.
They want me to start Jan 4th.

When do I tell this firm goodbye?
Give notice?
How much?
It would be nice to have time off between jobs to spend with my kids (off two weeks around xmas).

Thinking of letting them know next Friday and offering to help, but saying I'd rather make that day my last (it would be too awkward).

Also, do I say it was just a bad fit or I had a better offer come in that I couldn't pass up?

I am in a probationary period with at will employment...

Thanks for reading!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,666,312 times
they're not going to be happy no matter what you do, and a job you stayed at for less than a month isn't something you'd want or need to put on your resumé, so i wouldn't sweat it that much. giving notice is courteous but it's not going to negatively affect you if you don't. and really, it's not going to negatively affect your employer either, they'd probably rather know sooner rather than later that it's not working out. it's doubtful that they'd even have you work your notice period after such a short stay.

so i'd say do what feels most comfortable and considerate to you. your plan sounds just fine. quitting so soon is going to be awkward and they will probably be mad, and understandably so, but from the information you've given i think your choice is also understandable.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:51 AM

17,287 posts, read 12,210,582 times
Tell your current manager sooner rather than later(today?). They would appreciate not wasting time of others on training you in their procedures. Offer to stay 2 weeks if they wish but I doubt they take you up on it.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:22 AM

12,094 posts, read 23,250,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Tell your current manager sooner rather than later(today?). They would appreciate not wasting time of others on training you in their procedures. Offer to stay 2 weeks if they wish but I doubt they take you up on it.
I would offer notice, but expect them to tell you to pack your stuff. If they ask why you are leaving, tell them you are getting a significant pay raise to go elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search